The Pickwick Papers The Pickwick Papers discussion

What is the funniest Dickens?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hippystick (new) - added it

Hippystick I loved Pickwick Papers, what else is funny by Dickens?

Feliks I found parts of 'Little Dorrit' uproarious. I would say that work has the most frequent appearance of humor.

message 3: by Hippystick (new) - added it

Hippystick thanks Feliks. I'll put it on my TBR list.

Donna One of my favorites is David Copperfield. It's a mixture of sad and humorous parts, and very entertaining.

message 5: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol Haven't read them all but would pick Pickwick in a flash, love the characters.

message 6: by Hippystick (new) - added it

Hippystick Thank you Donna and Carol. I'll put David Copperfield on the list as well. I'm reading Nicholas Nickleby at the moment, it's very good so far.

message 7: by Feliks (last edited Jan 07, 2015 08:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feliks I can only reaffirm my original rec: 'Little Dorritt' had me convulsed in my chair with paroxysms of laughter. I'm not a man given to explosive gusts of either mirth or merriment, believe me. But Dorritt has it.

Charity I loved The Pickwick Papers! Such a funny book. My favorite is David Copperfield. It has elements of humor in it, but I think the best part about that book is that one can't help but fall in love with the characters. Also, it has one of the best and most cunning villains I've ever had the pleasure to despise.

Chris Martin Chuzzlewit has lots of funny parts, especially Sairey Gamp (“Gamp is my name, and Gamp my nater.”) And when Pecksniff tries to remove his shoes and falls into the fire.

message 10: by Hippystick (new) - added it

Hippystick Thanks Charity and Chris, more to add to the to-be-read list :)

message 11: by One (new) - rated it 2 stars

One Flew The most amusing Dicken's characters are Mr Jaggers and Mr Wemmick from Great Expectations, it's the book that gave me the most laughs despite the serious nature of some of the book.

message 12: by Hippystick (new) - added it

Hippystick Thank you One, another one for the list!

message 13: by Dug (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dug I would recommend any Dickens fan looking for humour to read Sketches by Boz. The young Dickens clearly found humour in the everyday behaviour of the Londoners around him and brilliantly described those funny characters and situations right from the beginning of his writing career.

message 14: by Michael (last edited Jan 08, 2015 01:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael I have my favorite Dickens' novels, like Bleak House, and even the most serious book has some humor, but for pure hilarity, Pickwick Papers is my choice.

Tammy I'm starting Pickwick Papers tonight!

message 16: by C.E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.E. Crowder It's a good choice, hope you like it.

message 17: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Pickwick Papers, certainly but most of Dickens novels have some wonderful humour. I've just finished "Our Mutual Friend" which has much humour, like the mock battles twixt Bella and Lavinia and many wry observations: “No one who can read, ever looks at a book, even unopened on a shelf, like one who cannot.”

message 18: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Laughter lay very near the surface of Dickens; it was always on the verge of breaking out, generously, ruthlessly, uncontrollably, as if someone had struck a match near a volatile substance. Dickens was an entertainer, he knew that to address serious social issues, he would need the sympathy of his readers.
From "The Old Curiosity Shop" :
’I say’ – quoth Miss Brass, abruptly breaking silence, ‘you haven’t seen a silver pencil-case this morning, have you?’

‘I didn’t meet many in the street,’ rejoined Mr Swiveller. ‘I saw one – a stout pencil-case of respectable appearance – but as he was in company with an elderly penknife, and a young toothpick with whom he was in earnest conversation, I felt a delicacy in speaking to him.’