Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Archives Retired Folder Threads > Collecting Dust September 2014 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4911 comments Mod
This is a monthly challenge for those readers who have had books forever on their TBR list.

This challenge will help you get those books finally read.

If you wish to participate then from your TBR bookshelf list 5 books that you would like to read for the month of August. The next member who comments will pick two choices from your list. You are only obligated to read 1 of those books, but you may choose to read both. Once you read it, let us know and you may add your review or link to your review!

RULES:
1) If you would like to participate, please sign up by August 31st, 2014.

2) Choose 2 books from the person's list that commented before you. First in, is last to pick - First person to sign up, please pick books for the last person to sign up :).

3) Each participant will have the entire month to read their book(s), post their rating and review. And tell us what you think of your book in this thread.

Let's have fun reducing our TBR piles*.

Link to August challenge:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

*Books can be any of your TBR books, not restricted to classics.

message 2: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4911 comments Mod
The September 2014 Collecting Dust Challenge is open. I have not participated in the last 4 months so I'll go first.

I have been procrastinating on the following five books all year. This should help.

My five are:
Compulsion
The Last Don
Bel Canto
Winter of the World
Gone Girl

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 643 comments Hi Bob. I choose for you: Winter of the World (love Ken Follett) and The Last Don (remember reading this about 15 years ago)

Happy reading!

I would like to read from the following list:
Rumour Has It by Jill Mansell
The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman
Sky Burial: An Epic Love Story of Tibet by Xinran
Exodus by Leon Uris
Long Time Coming by Robert Goddard

message 9: by Lindy-Lane (last edited Oct 01, 2014 11:20AM) (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 87 comments for anna i pick:
The Dive From Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

my picks are:
Big Cherry Holler by Adriana Trigiani

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant matt also picked this for me, but i did not get to it...always next time.

Web Of Evil by J.A. Jance

The Midnight Rose by Lucinda Riley matt had picked this for one of my reads: gave it 4 stars! (9.22)

Dead and Doggone by Susan Conant

message 10: by Janice (new)

Janice (j_nee) For Matt: I pick Midnight's Children and Bastard Out of Carolina

Here are my 5:

1. The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe
2. War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk (I'v read the first book but have yet to crack open the second book)
3. Memoirs of Geisha by Arthur Golden
4. The Stand by Stephen King
5. Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

message 11: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Aug 16, 2014 03:37PM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9424 comments Mod
Hi Janice.
Choose from: War and Remembrance and The Stand

I did not get my July or August Dusty books read, so I will use those for my September challenge (and one other to make up 5 choices) and see if I can't get at least one of them read this year. I know August is not over, but I've too many books lined up already to get to the Dusty Ones.

My books are:

1. Cloud Atlas
2. Bleak House
3. Eat Move Sleep: How Small Choices Lead to Big Changes
4. Six Women of Salem: The Untold Story of the Accused and Their Accusers in the Salem Witch Trials
5. The Lacuna

message 14: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4911 comments Mod
Since I went first this month I pick last. I know it's a day early but I won't be around tomorrow.

Nathan I pick for you To Kill a Mockingbird and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I have read both of these and while they are seriously different genres they are both excellent read. I hope you enjoy them.

message 15: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4911 comments Mod
This closes our selection process for this month.

Please list your thoughts and reviews or post a link to your reviews.

Good Luck!

message 16: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Sep 05, 2014 02:39PM) (new)

Bob | 4911 comments Mod
Finished book one as selected for me by Julie.

Winter of the World is the second book of Ken Follett’s Century Trilogy. Book two picks up during the depression where book one The Fall of Giants ends. It’s a continuation of the lives of several families living in different countries, the United States, Britain, Germany, and the Soviet Union. The story deals with these characters lives, their struggles and hardships faced during the depression, WW II, and the start of the Cold War. If you are a fan of Follett or enjoy well written epic historical fiction I can recommend this read. I believe it can stand alone, but I also recommend reading Fall of Giants first. I’m looking forward to the third and final book.

message 17: by Julie (last edited Sep 05, 2014 10:44PM) (new)

Julie | 643 comments It's a great book Bob, and the 3rd book (Edge of Eternity will be out on the 16th of september - can't wait :)

I allready finished both of my september picks.

Rumour Has It is good quality chock-lit and really feel-good book. Well written, and believe me not all chick-lit is.

Long Time Coming is a classic Robert Goddard Robert Goddard suspense novel intertwined in historical events. Robert Goddard really is a guarantee for a good read, and this is no exception. It's partly takes place in Belgium (Antwerpen and Brügge) - which was a nice surprise since I went to Belgium (and Brügge) this summer :-)

message 18: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I finished The End of Your Life Book Club and I really enjoyed it. Usually cancer books are too depressing for me, but I really enjoyed the relationship between mother and son, and listing all of the books they read together made me add a few to my TBR list!! Thanks for the pick! ;-)

message 19: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4911 comments Mod
Finished my second September read. Thanks again Julie.
The Last Don is an excellent read, I had heard there is a mini-series based on this, if true I think it would be a good way to spend an afternoon. I have read three books by Mario Puzo and all have been good of course the Godfather tops the list.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments My Musty Dusty challenge book was The Aquatic Labyrinth: A Venetian Mystery by Alastair Fontana.

I really liked it. Here is a link to my review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished my 1st September book We Have Always Lived in the Castle. I loved it - 5 stars.

message 22: by Nathan (last edited Oct 01, 2014 11:46AM) (new)

Nathan | 421 comments So glad you liked it, Pigletto. I really liked it too.

I finished both of my September books, To Kill a Mockingbird and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I liked them both.

To Kill a Mockingbird is exceptionally well written. My favorite part was the scene in front of the jail. Lee's use of disparity of awareness is just phenomenal in that scene. I also really admired Atticus' patriotism. He's a firm believer in the American system of law and in American ideals. This attitude so often comes across as both ignorant and arrogant, but Atticus doesn't spout any "U.S. is the best" b.s. He acknowledges that our nation is deeply flawed. He continues to work within the system because he believes the American ideal is worth striving for. And I agree.

The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo was also a good read. I thought the mystery was engaging, I loved the setting and I really liked Blomkvist. I was pretty surprised by this as I expected Salander to be my favorite character. I plan to read the next book in the series soon.

message 23: by Lindy-Lane (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 87 comments updated my original post #9 of this thread.

message 24: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9424 comments Mod
I ended up reading and really enjoying The Lacuna. It was one of the five I had listed, but not one of the two chosen for me to read. At least I did get one book off of my TBR list that had been on for a long time.

message 25: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Glad to hear that you enjoyed it, Kathy. I've had it sitting on my TBR (and my kindle) for awhile but I've never opened it up. Maybe I'll have to try to get to it soon!

Kathy wrote: "I ended up reading and really enjoying The Lacuna. It was one of the five I had listed, but not one of the two chosen for me to read. At least I did get one book off of my TBR list t..."