SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Autonomous
This topic is about Autonomous
What Else Are You Reading? > "Autonomous" by Annalee Newitz (BR)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Starts from June 25th, two weeks from now.

And let the roll call begins!

message 2: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9646 comments Mod
I hadn't noticed there's a buddy read for this. I've already read it, but I'm interested to see the discussion!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Yup, I think we scheduled it in April.

Looks really interesting and not too heavy, just looking at the sample.

Chris | 1046 comments I own it and plan to read it on schedule.

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments I'll be curious to see what other people here think of this. I liked it overall but I had a pretty big issue with it as well. Don't know if I'll re-read it or not but I'll definitely be stopping back in here to check in.

HeyT | 445 comments I'm in! I just have to remember it's on my kindle.

Sarah | 2611 comments I plan to jump in as well.

Meredith | 1356 comments I'm in.

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments I’m in (and will hopefully start on time & keep up with the discussion this time!)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Looking good :D Been having a swell month with BR so far here

Sarah | 2611 comments Picked my copy up at the library today. Just re-read the blurb and cant wait to start!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Cool, Sarah. I'll be starting this in a few days.

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments Starting tomorrow (well, later today..I’m up late)!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments We still have three days till the official starting date but I like the spirit :D

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments Well, I’m about to go on vacation in a week and I want to have certain books finished before I go. I won’t get much reading done while on vacation but I do have a couple books I want to read with my dad and brother’s friend while we’re all together.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Ashley wrote: "Well, I’m about to go on vacation in a week and I want to have certain books finished before I go. I won’t get much reading done while on vacation but I do have a couple books I want to read with m..."

Whoa that is so cool that you all are reading something together. I wish I could do that with my dad but he loves TV more.

Ariana | 657 comments This just came in from the library! I'm in as well.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments 2%

The name of Jack Chen reminds me of Jacky Chan. Am I the only one? 😆

I love the fact that the MC had a submarine.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments *Jackie not Jacky.

message 20: by Bobby (new) - added it

Bobby | 869 comments Somehow I missed that this was happening. I remember wanting to read it when it was nominated for a group read and didn't make it. I've got it on hold from my digital library, but hold time is 10 days. Sometimes people return them earlier, so I will try to jump in when I can.

message 21: by Ariana (last edited Jun 25, 2018 03:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ariana | 657 comments Let me just recommend against reading Sea of Rust at the same time as this one. The bots are too similar and I'm getting confused.

Chris | 1046 comments I started it yesterday.

Ariana wrote: "Let me just recommend against reading Sea of Rust at the same time as this one. The bots are too similar and I'm getting confused."

Ha, good to know! I guess I'll see whether reading one right after the other yields interference or synergy.

Meredith | 1356 comments I started (last week!) and felt pulled into both storylines right away.

message 24: by Silvana (last edited Jun 27, 2018 10:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments 18%

I liked the worldbuilding, although the eroding nationstates scheme is still derivative. Special economic zones were the form we have here. So I was musing which former countries/current SEZs were in the Asian Union, for instance.

(view spoiler)

And the slavery thing, interesting and uncomfortable.

About the AI, I want to know more about the 'autonomous' thing (view spoiler)

How about you guys? Any intriguing details so far?

Sarah | 2611 comments I'm at about 15%. It's not quite what I expected. Not necessarily a bad thing- I just have to get over first before I can really settle in and appreciate it.

(view spoiler)

Ariana | 657 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm at about 15%. It's not quite what I expected. Not necessarily a bad thing- I just have to get over first before I can really settle in and appreciate it.

[spoilers removed]"

I'm at 18%. (view spoiler)

Sarah | 2611 comments Ariana wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I'm at about 15%. It's not quite what I expected. Not necessarily a bad thing- I just have to get over first before I can really settle in and appreciate it.

[spoilers removed]"

I'm..."

Right- thank you! Couldn't remember the name. I re-read the blurb and they definitely say (view spoiler)

message 28: by Silvana (last edited Jun 27, 2018 02:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments 17%
Okay, the recycling of (view spoiler) freaking me out.

Also the windows fused with plant thing is so cool. I like the tidbit of tech in this book.

20%

(view spoiler)

26%
Threezed's backstory
(view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments 33%
Med (view spoiler)

Paladin and Eliasz (view spoiler)

message 30: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9646 comments Mod
Silvana, I hear you about Paladin/Eliasz!

Ariana | 657 comments pg. 53.

(view spoiler)

message 32: by HeyT (new) - rated it 3 stars

HeyT | 445 comments I'd have to say I agree with you Ariana I wasn't excited to see that bit play out.

Sarah | 2611 comments Ariana wrote: "pg. 53. .."

I was going to comment on this too. Not cool.

20%
(view spoiler)

Ariana | 657 comments Sarah wrote: "Ariana wrote: "pg. 53. .."

I was going to comment on this too. Not cool."

p. 89

(view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments I love your analysis, Ariana. It showed a flaw in her character that I think would serve the plot in a later stage.

And yes, I did feel icky about it, glad you guys brought that up. This novel is teeming with unsettling sexual relationship and I am just past the 40% point.

Still loving all the worldbuilding stuff.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Sarah wrote: "Ariana wrote: "pg. 53. .."

I was going to comment on this too. Not cool.

20%
[spoilers removed]"

I highlighted the part when she described love - surely will come in handy in the future LOL

message 37: by Sarah (last edited Jun 27, 2018 07:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 2611 comments Ariana wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Ariana wrote: "pg. 53. .."

I was going to comment on this too. Not cool."

p. 89

[spoilers removed]"

That whole scene is odd and really makes no sense. (view spoiler)

Sarah | 2611 comments Thinking about it, I’m wondering if the point is:

(view spoiler)

Ariana | 657 comments Sarah wrote: "Thinking about it, I’m wondering if the point is:

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Ch. 9

(view spoiler)

Ariana | 657 comments p. 128

(view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments 52% or page 163
(view spoiler)
So among all things, homosexuality is still shunned in that point in time?

64% or page 200
And of course (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments 85% or page 259
Alright. We finally got the explanation on Eliasz behavior. And I like the unraveling of Threezed's character too. That explains his stuff with Jack.

message 43: by Silvana (last edited Jun 30, 2018 02:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Well, I finished. 4.5 stars. This book makes me think. The ending was rather neat, Newitz pulled everything together and provided sufficient explanation on the characters actions.

The worldbuilding and the fact that there are many juxtapositions of gender and power, this book will remain memorable to me for a long time.

June has been great to me, first The Moon and the Other, and now this.

Chris | 1046 comments (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Chris wrote: "I enjoyed the book."

(view spoiler)

Sarah | 2611 comments So... this book is great at making the reader really uncomfortable.

Silvana wrote: "52% or page 163
[spoilers removed]

I’ve been thinking the same thing!! (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Exactly my thoughts. Though I tend to like books that test my limit of discomfort...

Ariana | 657 comments I finished this!

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Silvana (last edited Jul 01, 2018 06:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Great! Good point about the autonomy key.
I wish you enjoyed this better but I am glad you finally got the groove at the end.

I cant wait for Newitz's next work. I understand that she is scientist herself and hopefully she writes more cyberpunk like this. After Altered Carbon and this I seem to be liking the subgenre more.

I am just happy that the book is pretty straightforward and only a few pages more than 300. Really, nowadays you gotta find a novella instead if you want to a shorter work.

message 50: by Ariana (last edited Jul 01, 2018 08:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ariana | 657 comments Silvana wrote: "I can't wait for Newitz's next work."

Yes! I would definitely read what she writes next.

Silvana wrote: "I am just happy that the book is pretty straightforward and only a few pages more than 300. Really, nowadays you gotta find a novella instead if you want to a shorter work."

Yes, I totally agree. It does pack a lot of ideas into a neat little package. After reflecting a bit I'm feeling more charitable. There were a lot of things I liked. Maybe my expectations were just too high to start out?

(view spoiler)

« previous 1