This topic is about Allegiant
Archive - Award Winners > Allegiant (Divergent #3) - August 2014

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4073 comments Mod
Young Adult Fantasy Winner

Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS THE THIRD BOOK IN A TRILOGY AND SHOULD NOT BE READ AS A STANDALONE
This group has already read the previous two books in 2013 and you can find the threads at:
Divergent #1 - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Insurgent #2 - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Book Summary:
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

-------

We always ask for people to be respectful for other readers and keep spoilers behind tags. This book has a MAJOR SPOILER, while it may feel that everyone knows this please don't assume this is true. USE THOSE SPOILER TAGS PEOPLE!

Rida Sajid | 195 comments I read all the three books in may. Loved this dystology.

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I very much enjoyed the trilogy as well .. even though the second and third book could not reach the quality of the first imo. actually, allegiant was a bit of a disappointment for me. still good though.

Misha (itz_mie) | 365 comments loved the trilogy... was a bit disappointed about the ending though..

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments I can't say that I was blown away by this installment. It felt disconnected in some ways from the previous two. That said, I obviously didn't hate it because I read it in 2 days.

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Completely zapped that it was August's selection.
Reading it right now. Insurgent has been my favorite so far. Let's see how Allegiant ends...

message 7: by Virginie (chouettblog) (last edited Aug 02, 2014 03:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Ok I think I found a flaw in the story line.
I am 3 quarters in the book. (view spoiler).
Just my opinion of course.

Katy Mann | 278 comments Virginie wrote: "Completely zapped that it was August's selection.
Reading it right now. Insurgent has been my favorite so far. Let's see how Allegiant ends..."

Finished Divergent last week so I could read Allegiant with the group. Getting started today.

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Katy wrote: "Virginie wrote: "Completely zapped that it was August's selection.
Reading it right now. Insurgent has been my favorite so far. Let's see how Allegiant ends..."

Finished Divergent last week so I c..."

I finished it... Still digesting the ending. Will leave it at that :).

message 10: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments Virginie wrote: "Katy wrote: "Virginie wrote: "Completely zapped that it was August's selection.

Finished Divergent las..."

I've heard the ending...well, I don't know what happens, but I heard not everyone liked it.

I'm just getting started.

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments RitaSkeeter wrote: "Not technically a spoiler but in case it alludes to anything - [spoilers removed]."

I read Free Four and The Transfer. (view spoiler)

message 12: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Aug 02, 2014 09:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4073 comments Mod
Heh, it has a bit ally. However I have read the Four novellas as I couldn't resist, he's still one of my favourite 'leading males'

For that reason I enjoyed the switch in writing style for the 3rd book to dual POV instead of just Tris. What was everyone else's thoughts on that?

message 13: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments Lynn wrote: "Heh, it has a bit ally. However I have read the Four novellas as I couldn't resist, he's still one of my favourite 'leading males'

For that reason I enjoyed the switch in writing style for the 3rd..."

I found it a little jarring at first, as it represents a break from the two earlier books, but she labels the chapters clearly, so I'll probably get into it.

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments Same as Rita regarding the different POVs. I had a lot of trouble remembering who was the narrator and found it only detrimental to the story. I also haven't bothered with the Four stories even though I loved his character in divergent and insurgent.

message 15: by Rida (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rida Sajid | 195 comments Lynn wrote: "Heh, it has a bit ally. However I have read the Four novellas as I couldn't resist, he's still one of my favourite 'leading males'

I know how you felt Lynn. I love four. I mean Tris is the main character but I always loved Four. I read the first two books hungry for him to come in to scene. I liked it when Veronica made it dual narration. We were able to get glimpse in to Four's feelings and fears but Four novellas just opened him up

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Lynn wrote: "Heh, it has a bit ally. However I have read the Four novellas as I couldn't resist, he's still one of my favourite 'leading males'

I will take me a while to get to the novellas... Still grieving :), however I really liked the writing from Four's POV in book 3. It was nice to know his thoughts.

message 17: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments RitaSkeeter wrote: "I found it difficult as the two voices sounded exactly the same to me. I was forever flipping back to the start of the chapter to remind myself who was narrating."

I'm noticing the same thing. I'm not hearing a difference in the two voices.

Valerie (darthval) | 411 comments Okay, I totally loved the first book and really liked the second. However, I was so disappointed in the final installment.

I had spent so much time eagerly waiting for it and then Allegiant turned out to be crap.

In the first two books, I actually felt that the plot was going somewhere. However, in Allegiant, it just felt like she was (view spoiler)

Also, I didn't think there was any character development. (view spoiler)

I did not have a problem at all with the changing POV. I also had no issue at all with (view spoiler)

And whatever happened to falling action after the climax??? This book meandered and then rather than peak, it stopped on a dime.

I had read a couple of the shorts and planned to read all related material, but after this ball of chaos, I have dropped anything relating the series.

message 19: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Aug 09, 2014 06:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4073 comments Mod
PLEASE NOTE: THIS THREAD IS NOW OPEN TO SPOILERS

So let's get the biggest spoiler out of the way ......

She killed Tris off. Personally I had no problem with it and actually found it quite fitting. However a lot of readers didn't react well to it. What were your thoughts?

Virginie (chouettblog) | 350 comments Lynn wrote: "PLEASE NOTE: THIS THREAD IS NOW OPEN TO SPOILERS

I think I would have rather she stayed alive and enjoy the new world she helped creating for a little while.

So let's get the biggest spoiler out of the way ......

She killed Tris off. Personally I had no problem with it and actually found it quite f..."

message 21: by Rida (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rida Sajid | 195 comments I liked it. I mean it wasn't out of the blue. Veronica worked a whole way just to explain what exactly is self sacrifice. So I liked her effort in the whole triology.

It is a great lesson for all those people who favor suicide bombing.

message 22: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Mann | 278 comments RitaSkeeter wrote: "I hated it and I'm still bitter about it. I'll be clear that I don't have a problem with characters dying - the last Harry Potter, for example, was a blood bath, but that was okay with me because I..."

Yeah, I'm still reading it. I knew people were unhappy with the ending, so I was guessing Four would die. But if it it's Tris who is going to die, then the use of the two POV's makes more sense. I thought she was using two POV's to make Four's death more poignant.

Well I'll keep going.

Stacy  okun (stacyo40) | 180 comments I was shocked at first, but I kinda saw why.. She definitely got people talking about her books for sure

message 24: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 24, 2014 01:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer (featherlashes) I read Allegiant back in October 2013. Overall, I enjoyed the series. There were things I liked and disliked about this final book, but overall I liked it (3 stars).
Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Allegiant (other topics)