Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Archives > Batman: The Killing Joke

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 5 comments The Killing Joke is on my list to buy, but it want to keep my collection consistently trade paperback. Usually, this isn't a problem, but I cannot seem to find this one in paperback version. Does anyone know if we're just between printings?

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike | 289 comments I'm just guessing, but while Killing Joke is a classic, given it's short length and how old it is it wouldn't surprise me if DC only wanted one version in print at a time. They also had it recolored for the "deluxe edition," and they can offer the hardcover at a higher price point. So I'd imagine as long as the hardcover keeps selling that's what they'll keep printing.

message 3: by Albert (new)

Albert (albertic0) | 31 comments Kevin wrote: "The Killing Joke is on my list to buy, but it want to keep my collection consistently trade paperback. Usually, this isn't a problem, but I cannot seem to find this one in paperback version. Does a..."

It probably is. But they usually have a new version or printing every year, especially with Superman v Batman movie coming out.

message 4: by Jimi (new)

Jimi | 1 comments Not long before the recoloured, deluxe hardback edition was released, 'The Killing Joke' was still available as part of a slightly overstuffed book containing most of Alan Moore's work in the main DCU.

It was quite obviously removed from newer editions to encourage people to buy the newer, admittedly far superior, version in hardback. The new colouring throughout by the original line artist Brian Bolland is gorgeous(although I believe original colourist John Higgins' work should not be overlooked as it helped define this classic comic on its initial releases), and there's some back up material, also.

However, I wonder if the price of the Alan Moore collection has dropped significantly to reflect it's new, slimmer content?

message 5: by Dan (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 17 comments I love Batman: The Killing Joke! That was actually the first Batman comic I read as a kid when I was 9!! And Brian Bolland's artwork is fantastic!