Dubuque Virtual Book Club discussion

August 2014 Book Discussion > Suspense Fiction

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Carnegie-Stout Public Library (carnegie_stout) | 68 comments Mod
Our August Book Discussion poll had a tie, so we'll have two discussion threads this month! Check out something new (or new to you!) from the world of YSuspense Fiction, and share your thoughts here.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah S (sarah_elsewhere) | 83 comments Mod
I'm using this month's discussion as an opportunity to pick up a book that's been on my TBR list for ages: Killing Floor, the first book in Lee Child's Jack Reacher series.

Because suspense (and the closely related thrillers) can cover a wide range of books from historical settings to the paranormal, there's an intimidating amount to choose from. If you're not sure where to start, leave a comment about what you like and we can offer some reading suggestions.

message 3: by Joanne Wright (new)

Joanne Wright | 1 comments Brilliance by Marcus Sakey. This is a series; so far there are two books in the series but obviously there will be more.
This is a combination suspense/thriller. When I started reading it I did not expect to like it much. Instead, I could not put it down.

Joanne

message 4: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) I thought Jack Reacher was an interesting hero, but for whatever reason, I just didn't like Killing Floor quite as much as I was hoping to. Definitely planning on continuing the series though.

I'm currently reading John Verdon's latest, Peter Pan Must Die. He's one of my favorite mystery/thriller authors. Also I have to give a shout-out to James Rollins's The Sixth Extinction, which comes out today. Rollins is more action-adventure than slow and subtle suspense, but he's another favorite author of mine.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Both Brilliance and The Sixth Extinction sound like good reads. I'm a sucker for books that mix in science fiction elements, like Max Barry's Lexicon. I see that the Rollins is part of a series, do you think it's safe to jump in in the middle?

message 6: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) Sarah, some of the books stand alone better than others. The stories are always distinct, but some rely more on established character relationships, and I think that's where new readers would miss out. I'll let you know after I finish this one which end of the spectrum it falls on.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Charleen wrote: "Sarah, some of the books stand alone better than others. The stories are always distinct, but some rely more on established character relationships, and I think that's where new readers would miss ..."

Thanks!

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelleob) | 17 comments I am just getting ready to start the newest book in the Amish thrillers written by Linda Castillo, The Dead Will Tell. In this series Sheriff Kate Burkholder is the main protagonist. She left her small town, Painters Mill, and Amish community as a young woman and went to live among the "English". But she is drawn back to her community when several gruesome crimes happen in the Amish community and she uses her old ties and her understanding of the culture to investigate. Also thrown in is an ongoing romance with a state agent suffering from his own demons.

I love Sheriff Burkholder and I am looking forward to this 6th book in her series. The action is hard hitting and the violence can be pretty graphic so keep that in mind--the setting may be bucolic, but the stories are not!

message 9: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) Okay, verdict on The Sixth Extinction:

This one is very plot-focused, so even if you don't know the character histories, I don't think it would impede your enjoyment of the story. The only downside would be a few spoilery details for if you did want to back up and read the earlier books. But just in terms of reading this book, new readers should enjoy it just as much as old fans.

If you like thrillers that mix history and science (and even border on science fiction), definitely check out the Sigma series.

message 10: by Amy (last edited Aug 19, 2014 12:56PM) (new)

Amy (bluewinston) | 13 comments Mod
Michelle wrote: "I am just getting ready to start the newest book in the Amish thrillers written by Linda Castillo, The Dead Will Tell. In this series Sheriff Kate Burkholder is the main protagonist. She left her..."

Michelle, I love this series. I think I've only read the first 3 books, but it sucked me in right from the beginning. I was initially shocked at the action and the graphic violence (I think due to the Amish connection), but I got past that pretty quickly.

Correction...I've only read the first 2. I better get caught up!