Dubuque Virtual Book Club discussion

August 2014 Book Discussion > Young Adult Fiction

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Carnegie-Stout Public Library (carnegie_stout) | 68 comments Mod
Our August Book Discussion poll had a tie, so we'll have two discussion threads this month! Check out something new (or new to you!) from the world of Young Adult Fiction, and share your thoughts here.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah S (sarah_elsewhere) | 83 comments Mod
If you're not sure where to start with Young Adult, we've discussed a few YA titles in past months here. I've also gathered a short list of YA titles recently recommended by staff of Carnegie-Stout:

Terrier (Beka Cooper, #1) by Tamora Pierce Terrier A fast-paced mix of magic and police procedural.

When We Wake (When We Wake, #1) by Karen Healey When We Wake An environmental dystopia set in future Australia

Team Human by Justine Larbalestier Team Human A creative and playful exploration of recent trends in vampire romance.

Mothership (Ever-Expanding Universe, #1) by Martin Leicht Mothership A funny story about teen pregnancy and alien invaders set on a school orbiting the planet.

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell Eleanor & Park Two misfit teens fall in love for the first time in 1980s Nebraska.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 12 comments I read Eleanor and Park because I am a fan of the author, but it also fit in with our theme for this month. I thought it was cute when two teenagers fall in love and will do anything for the other... oh, to be young and in love!

message 4: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) I'd meant to get to this sooner, especially because it was the perfect mix of both themes for August - YA and suspense - but last week I finally read I Hunt Killers. It was surprisingly good. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah S (sarah_elsewhere) | 83 comments Mod
Charleen wrote: "I'd meant to get to this sooner, especially because it was the perfect mix of both themes for August - YA and suspense - but last week I finally read I Hunt Killers. It was surprisi..."

Your timing is actually very good as it's now Banned Books Week, and I Hunt Killers is on the list of Challenged Titles for 2013. It was removed from the Crawford County middle School library "because the book deals with complex issues teenagers confront."

message 6: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) Oh, no, not complex issues! *clutches pearls*

Glad to see my procrastination paid off in some way.