Fairy Tales Eclectic discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 154 (154 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Hi! I'm Heidi and when I was young, fairy tales were simply some of my favorite stories. After reading most of The Uses of Enchantment The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales by Bruno Bettelheim I began to understand my love for fairy tales in a different way. I'm a big believer in the power of imagination and fairy tales and their retellings seem to be the perfect vehicle for stimulating our imagination towards a better future. Kind of powerful, huh?

**✿❀ Maki ❀✿** (tanukigrrl) | 31 comments Hi, I'm Maki. I've got a serious fairy tale addiction.

My grandparents had these beautiful old books of fairy tales and nursery rhymes that I'd devour every time we went to visit, and my passion for the stories never really died.

Over the years, I've expanded into gathering any fairy tale, folk tale, or fable I can find, and now I'm saving them for my daughter.

I think what fascinates me the most about fairy tales is how universal their appeal can be. You'll find versions of the same stories in several different regions - the names are changed, the culture is adapted, but at their core, they're still the same stories.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (crimsonflowerreviews) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Elizabeth you can call me E, if it's easier. I love fairytale s and even write my stories in that vein. I am always enthralled with princesses, kings, elves and sprites...not to mention everything in between. :)

message 4: by Misty (new)

Misty (marion_mustang) | 5 comments Hi I'm Misty. I've been reading fairy tales since I was in elementary school. which now seems very long ago! I found I loved the tales and enjoyed finding different versions so I began buying new books whenever I saw them. I enjoy trying new books because now and again you find real gems hidden here and there! Its fun for me to go for a nice search through a pile of old books at our local flea market. I ALWAYS find something interesting.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Almazan | 1 comments Hi! I'm Sandra. I'm a friend of Heidi's from an online writing workshop. I read a lot of the color fairy collections when I was in middle school and still enjoy reading adaptations of them.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 254 comments Hi! I'm Lisa and I have loved fairy tales for as long as I can remember, but my true appreciation of the fantasy genre and fairy tales in particular began when I was 9 years old. I will forever be grateful to a wonderful children's librarian that created a book club for kids like me who loved to get lost in the magical world of those books. I really enjoy reading updated versions of classic fairy tales, as well as adaptations from various cultures. My main problem is finding enough time to read all that I would like to!

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Maki wrote: "Hi, I'm Maki. I've got a serious fairy tale addiction.

My grandparents had these beautiful old books of fairy tales and nursery rhymes that I'd devour every time we went to visit, and my passion f..."

Hi Maki! I love your story about your visits to your grandparents and how they awakened your passion for fairy tales. How is your collection going? What a wonderful thing to pass on to and share with your daughter.

I totally agree about the universality of fairy tales. I've ventured into reading some from other cultures although not enough. Maybe that's something we can do in this group... globe trot, lol

Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself!

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Hi, I'm Elizabeth you can call me E, if it's easier. I love fairytale s and even write my stories in that vein. I am always enthralled with princesses, kings, elves and sprites...not to mention ev..."

Hi E! Welcome! There's something so powerful about fairy tales. It seems once we fall in love with them it's hard to escape their influence:) Thank you for coming by and introducing yourself!

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Misty wrote: "Hi I'm Misty. I've been reading fairy tales since I was in elementary school. which now seems very long ago! I found I loved the tales and enjoyed finding different versions so I began buying new b..."
Hi Misty, I got hooked in elementary school too! Ooh, finding that gem really does make it worth it all... which is one of the reasons I started this group... because sometimes they are hard to find, lol. Ooh, those trips to the flea market sound rich, please feel free to share any current and past finds with the group! That's totally why we're here.

Thank you too, for stopping by and introducing yourself!

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Sandra wrote: "Hi! I'm Sandra. I'm a friend of Heidi's from an online writing workshop. I read a lot of the color fairy collections when I was in middle school and still enjoy reading adaptations of them."

Hi Sandra, how long has it been since we first met on OWW?!?!?!? A while, lol. Have you read any good adaptations lately?

Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself

message 11: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Lisa wrote: "Hi! I'm Lisa and I have loved fairy tales for as long as I can remember, but my true appreciation of the fantasy genre and fairy tales in particular began when I was 9 years old. I will forever be ..."

Lisa, your group for kids at the library sounds so cool! I hear you about the time to read... there really just isn't enough of it. Sigh.

Thank you for stopping by and introducing yourself!

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan Schiffour (beautytoyourbeast) | 1 comments Hi! I'm Megan and I am a fairy tale addict. I don't quite remember when the love affair as I was read to from the start of my life and have just never stopped.

Fairy tales always feel like home to me, their stories touch my heart and mind in such a way that I continue to think about them outside of the realm of those pages.

message 13: by Kimber (new)

Kimber Wheaton (kimberleighwheaton) | 1 comments Hi! My name is Kimber Leigh, and I am a fairy tale addict. Classics, retellings, I simply can't get enough. I still pull out my rather beat-up copy of The Complete Brothers Grimm every once in a while to get my fix. I'm so excited to be part of this group and to meet some like-minded people!

message 14: by Noelle (new)

Noelle  (booknerd95) | 2 comments Hi! My name is Kayla and I looove fairy tales!! Been reading them since I was a kid and still am reading them!! Fairy tales just always have a special place in my heart I mean who can resist the magic and adventure and of course romance that fairy tales provided?

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Megan wrote: "Hi! I'm Megan and I am a fairy tale addict. I don't quite remember when the love affair as I was read to from the start of my life and have just never stopped.

Fairy tales always feel like home t..."

Hi Megan, I love what you said about fairy tales feeling like home! And the stories do seem to linger... :) Thanks so much for joining the group and introducing yourself!

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Kimber Leigh wrote: "Hi! My name is Kimber Leigh, and I am a fairy tale addict. Classics, retellings, I simply can't get enough. I still pull out my rather beat-up copy of The Complete Brothers Grimm every once in a wh..."

Kimber Hi!!!!!! Thanks so much for joining the group and stopping by to say HI!!!!:D Yes, yes, yes, to like-minded readers!!!! Hopefully, we can get some good discussions going to stimulate our minds:)

message 17: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Kayla wrote: "Hi! My name is Kayla and I looove fairy tales!! Been reading them since I was a kid and still am reading them!! Fairy tales just always have a special place in my heart I mean who can resist the ma..."

Kayla, ooh, yes, you nailed it. For those of us who love them, fairy tales find a special place in our hearts! Thanks so much for stopping by to introduce yourself!

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary Lowry (mlowry57) | 2 comments I, too, have a great fondness for fairytales. I like collecting them and reading them from different cultures. Its amazing to me how similar many are.

message 19: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Mary wrote: "I, too, have a great fondness for fairytales. I like collecting them and reading them from different cultures. Its amazing to me how similar many are."

Hi Mary! So glad you joined us! We are definitely going to have to get some threads going about fairy tales from other cultures:) Thanks so much for stopping by and introducing yourself!

message 20: by Cassie C (new)

Cassie C | 1 comments Hi I'm Cassie! I love all fairytales, so this group is perfect for me haha. In fact, I just got the entire collection of Grimm's Fairytales from B&N :)

message 21: by Booklover113 (new)

Booklover113 | 2 comments Hi I'm booklover113!!! I love fairy tale stories... Who wouldent!?! I love any kind of fairy tales,ecspecilly the remakes like cinder,bewitching,etc.

message 22: by Daphne (new)

Daphne | 2 comments Hi! Daphne here :)
Like all of us I love fairytales. Read them to my children and enjoy making up stories with them. Look forward to meeting you all.

message 23: by B. (last edited Aug 18, 2014 09:59AM) (new)

B. Morris Allen (bmorrisallen) Hi, I'm Morris. (I sense a gender imbalance here; don't hold it against me. :-)

My mother read us Grimm's (seemingly, the non-bowdlerized version), Andersen's, and when we could read, let us carry on with those and with other fantastic (but maybe not 'fairy') collections like Shen of The Sea, Old Peter's Russian Tales, The Japanese Fairy Book, and a host of others from Kipling, Carroll, etc. Plus, of course, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, and if she's not a fairy in disguise, she's a very strange woman. I remember reading Tolkien's great essay On Fairy-Stories around the same time.

The net result is a love of the fantastic, and of fairy stories broadly defined, but not necessarily Tinkerbell-type stories.

I've never thought of myself as a fairy-tale writer, but lately I've written a couple of re-tellings of Moldovan fairy tales - shockingly under-represented in the English-speaking world. :-)

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Cassie C wrote: "Hi I'm Cassie! I love all fairytales, so this group is perfect for me haha. In fact, I just got the entire collection of Grimm's Fairytales from B&N :)"

Hi Cassie! So you joined the group and glad you stopped by to introduce yourself. Keep us updated on your reading of Grimm:) We should maybe add a folder for the original collections?!?!?!?

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Booklover113 wrote: "Hi I'm booklover113!!! I love fairy tale stories... Who wouldent!?! I love any kind of fairy tales,ecspecilly the remakes like cinder,bewitching,etc."

Booklover Hi! Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself. I love remakes too!

message 26: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Shineaira wrote: "Hi! My name is Shineaira! I love fairytales, mostly because they give me a chance to explore endless possibilities of life I never knew existed. Reading fairytales gives me a little thrill and hope..."

Shineaira, you stated that so well. The way fairy tales feed our imagination is part of their power, and I'm guessing, one of the reasons they endure. I think that's what Einstein meant, too. By feeding our imaginations, fairy tales expand our inner horizons and makes us more intelligent!

message 27: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Daphne wrote: "Hi! Daphne here :)
Like all of us I love fairytales. Read them to my children and enjoy making up stories with them. Look forward to meeting you all."

Daphne, that is awesome that you make up stories for your children. Thanks so much for joining the group and stopping by to say Hi!

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments B. wrote: "Hi, I'm Morris. (I sense a gender imbalance here; don't hold it against me. :-)

My mother read us Grimm's (seemingly, the non-bowdlerized version), Andersen's, and when we could read, let us carry..."

B. wrote: "Hi, I'm Morris. (I sense a gender imbalance here; don't hold it against me. :-)

My mother read us Grimm's (seemingly, the non-bowdlerized version), Andersen's, and when we could read, let us carry..."

B. wrote: "Hi, I'm Morris. (I sense a gender imbalance here; don't hold it against me. :-)

Hi Ben! Uhm... yeah, the gender imbalance thing... well, maybe more guys will join?!?!? Or maybe not, whatever, we definitely won't hold it against you and are glad to see you here as I know you have such a wealth of knowledge. OMG. Miss Piggle-Wiggle. Wow! I forgot those books, I read them too. I never thought of them as fairy tales per say... but, you're right... hmmm... You're Moldolvan fairy tales sound intriguing! Definitely want to be reading those.

message 29: by Jayde (new)

Jayde Meng (jayde_meng) Hi, I'm Jayde. I like fairytales because they all have a little of something we want. I think that there's something very appealing about them, especially since there's a lot of stuff left to the imagination. Each person finds something different about it, and I guess that's why fairytale retelling's are so popular.

message 30: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Hi Jayde! I think you really nailed something important about fairy tales, they leave room for our imagination. And by doing that, they allow each of us to relate to them on a very personal level. Very cool! Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself:)

message 31: by Rosie (new)

Rosie (DeadlyNightShade99292699) | 2 comments Hi I'm Rosie

message 32: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Rosie wrote: "Hi I'm Rosie"
Hi Rosie! Thanks for stopping by to introduce yourself!

**✿❀ Maki ❀✿** (tanukigrrl) | 31 comments Heidi wrote: "How is your collection going?"

I've got decent copies of Grimm and Andersen, and I just finished hunting down copies of all of the Andrew Lang colored fairy books.

Currently working on branching out into non-European cultures.

message 34: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3 comments Hi! I'm Kathy. I do love my Grimm's fairy tales. Last fall I participated in a contest to write stories where we twist fairy tales and had a great time. I always liked to find new versions to rad to my kids when they were little. And I do love the TV show Once Upon a Time. I think fairy tale re-telling is very cool.

message 35: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Maki wrote: "Heidi wrote: "How is your collection going?"

I've got decent copies of Grimm and Andersen, and I just finished hunting down copies of all of the Andrew Lang colored fairy books.

Currently working..."

Grimm and Andersen... Nice. I was reading Tree and Leaf last night, and Tolkien discusses the Andrew Lang books in his essay "On Fairy-Stories.". I haven't read any of Lang's books yet, though. There's quite a few, yeah?

I also hope our group branches out into some non-European fairy tales as we go along. Although I found Tolkien's opinion that where fairy tales with similar elements exist across cultures they're not necessarily derivatives interesting. I kind of always thought they were. But I guess that might lead then to the subject of archetypes and THEIR existence across cultures...

Hmmm... the discussion of fairy tales always brings up interesting things!

message 36: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Kathy wrote: "Hi! I'm Kathy. I do love my Grimm's fairy tales. Last fall I participated in a contest to write stories where we twist fairy tales and had a great time. I always liked to find new versions to rad t..."

Hi Kathy! Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself. I agree, fairy tale re-telling is totally cool. I tried to watch Once Upon a Time when it first came out, and I'm not sure why it didn't grab me, but I was rather disappointed about that. I think I've heard it keeps getting better? I definitely may need to revisit it someday,but I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it.

message 37: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (dreamer2229) | 6 comments Well it took me long enough to get here to say hi, but I'm here now. I have had a love affair with reading since probably 3rd grade, and fantasy is my favorite genre....at least for the last 10 years or so. My first memory of fairy tales was the stories my grandmother used to tell us. Imagine my surprised when her "stories" were in books. Some of them were not your traditional fairy tales (like "One eye, Two eye, and Three eye" which is a fairy tale I just can never remember the correct name).
I think my love affair with fairy tales started between 6th and 7th grade. I read every book our library had on fairy tales. I personally have one of the Grimm's fairy tale books from when I was a child. I read all the "color" fairy tale books, I don't think I ever realized that was a particular author's collection. I always just thought of it as a conglomeration of others. I read fairy tales from every land and culture. I also read the Greek myths around the same time and some Norse mythology as well.
During this same time period I read all of Shakespeare's stories in the Children's version, so to me they have always been in the same category of fairy tales. This is also when I fell in love with words and language. I love to learn new words and to learn cultural difference in language from one area to the next.
My kids are just as well versed in fairy tales as I am because they grew up hearing them and reading them.

message 38: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Mindy wrote: "Well it took me long enough to get here to say hi, but I'm here now. I have had a love affair with reading since probably 3rd grade, and fantasy is my favorite genre....at least for the last 10 ye..."

Hi Mindy, thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself. I loved reading about your fairy tale history:D How wonderful that your grandmother introduced them to you orally. And how wonderful you're passing on that tradition to your children. The more I indulge my own passion for fairy tales, I discover there's so much there. I think I was always self-conscious about my love of fairy tales, like, well, isn't that silly, lol. Then I read Bruno Bettelheim's The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales and realized, no it's not silly at all:) It's one of the reasons I wanted to foster this group along. I suspected there are more readers like me, and I wanted us to be able to explore all this fairy tale stuff with like-minded folks. So... super glad you're here!

message 39: by Scarlett (new)

Scarlett Janeway-keck (storycrush) | 3 comments Hi I'm Scarlett I love fairy tales the old ones and new ones. I love to see how the same story can be changed and alter to be something totally different. I love reading books have since I was very young and fairy tales are one of my favorite genre I even took a College Class all about children's literature and read a few fairy tales in class.

message 40: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Hi Scarlett, thank you for stopping by and introducing yourself. Me too! On loving the old and new ones:) That is so cool you took a class in college that featured some fairy tales. Hopefully, we'll get some good discussions going here in the group!

message 41: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jenbibi23) | 3 comments I think I started to say hello and my phone ate it. I'm Jennifer (everyone calls me Bibi - a nickname from my maiden name). I always loved to read. I was always drawn to fairy tales, supernatural, fantasy, etc. as Hobbit was my first "ah-ha" book. I worked at Waldenbooks in college (where I met my hubby) and am in finance because I haven't figured out how to get paid for reading and Facebook surfing. Excited to read some new books!

message 42: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Jennifer wrote: "I think I started to say hello and my phone ate it. I'm Jennifer (everyone calls me Bibi - a nickname from my maiden name). I always loved to read. I was always drawn to fairy tales, supernatura..."

Hi Jennifer! Those darn phones, lol. Should we call you Bibi?!?!? Was working in a bookstore fun? I worked in the accounting profession for years, CPA, etc, kind of a sister to finance:) Yes, figuring out how to make all the reading and FB surfing pay is definitely a challenge;) Thank you for stopping by to introduce yourself.

message 43: by Maria (new)

Maria (paisleyreader) | 4 comments Hi everybody! My name is Maria. I'm an avid reader who runs The Paisley Reader, a YA and NA Book Blog. I like a wide variety of reads, but fairy tale retellings and reimaginings are my favorite. My day job sees me working in museums, but I would like to get more involved in the book industry at some point.

message 44: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jenbibi23) | 3 comments Heidi wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I think I started to say hello and my phone ate it. I'm Jennifer (everyone calls me Bibi - a nickname from my maiden name). I always loved to read. I was always drawn to fairy t..."

Jen, Bibi, JenBibi, Jennifer... all good! LOL I loved working in the bookstore. Worst part was trying to sell the club cards... everything else was awesome! I worked for a CPA in high school, and decided tax season sucked. Then I got into investments, so I still have tax season, helping all the accounts anyway! LOL

message 45: by Michael (new)

Michael Mullin (michaelmullin) Hello Group!
My name is Michael, and yes, I am a fairytale fan. (That sounded kind of AA, huh?) I'm also a retelling author but NOT here to self promote. I'm interested in people's takes on classic tales and their retellings. Looking forward to jumping into the many discussions already started here. Thanks to Heidi for getting it all together! - Mm

**✿❀ Maki ❀✿** (tanukigrrl) | 31 comments Heidi wrote: "I haven't read any of Lang's books yet, though. There's quite a few, yeah?"

There are twelve books in his colored fairy series, but he collected a lot of other stories as well. He's got a couple of collections of nursery rhymes, as well as essays about a bunch of different writing styles.

message 47: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Jennifer wrote: "Heidi wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I think I started to say hello and my phone ate it. I'm Jennifer (everyone calls me Bibi - a nickname from my maiden name). I always loved to read. I was always dr..."

Okay, maybe JenBibi:) I think investments would be so much more interesting than accounting. But yes, ugh on tax season. I had a very charismatic Tax Accounting Professor and considered becoming a tax attorney for about four days... that was it! I ended up moving more towards IS and project management. The first job I had without a ten-key on my desk (do they still have those?!!?!?) I was sooooo thrilled, lol

message 48: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Michael wrote: "Hello Group!
My name is Michael, and yes, I am a fairytale fan. (That sounded kind of AA, huh?) I'm also a retelling author but NOT here to self promote. I'm interested in people's takes on classic..."

Oh, yes... but to really get AA-ish it would have to be like: I'm a recovering fairy tale addict... i read fairy tales every moment of every day... and my life fell apart... heehee. Okay, sorry, couldn't resist.

Hi Michael:) Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself. And thanks for your commitment to not PROMOTING! At the same time if you have a fairy tale new release, sale, freebie, PLEASE don't feel shy about posting it in that thread. But of course you don't have too!

I'm really excited about this group. I'm already learning a lot and getting some great new reads, so that's kind of the purpose... I just want this to be a fun, interactive, resource for us ... fairy tale addicts who haven't entered recovery yet!!!! :D

message 49: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Maki wrote: "Heidi wrote: "I haven't read any of Lang's books yet, though. There's quite a few, yeah?"

There are twelve books in his colored fairy series, but he collected a lot of other stories as well. He's ..."

Wow! I didn't realize there were so many!!!!

**✿❀ Maki ❀✿** (tanukigrrl) | 31 comments Heidi wrote: "Wow! I didn't realize there were so many!!!! "

Neither did I, until I started looking for them. XD

I found a lot of his work through Project Gutenberg.

« previous 1 3 4