Writers and Readers discussion

Marketing and Promotion Advice > Marketing Discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.F. (last edited Jul 31, 2014 01:26PM) (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1777 comments Mod
This thread is a group forum to go in-depth on any of your questions or your tips regarding the dreaded, murky arena that is book marketing.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 31, 2014 05:55PM) (new)

We had a great meeting at Agile Writers where we covered a lot of the available social media outlets. One thing that stands out is that YouTube is the Next Big Thing in social media. A lot of people are finding that videos are great for writers. One thing in particular you can do is create a video trailer for your book. Another thing is to create a weekly Video Blog that has bits of your book or tips on writing. You can see the slides here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5o7lxvu32y3...

message 3: by A.F. (new)

I've read some interesting things about posting Google Video Hangouts on YouTube as well.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevinhallock) | 60 comments I've had some success with BargainBooksy and eBookSoda. Kindle Nation Daily was pretty good as well.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Kevin,

What are these things? I've never heard of them. Can you elaborate on what they do that is different from Amazon or Smashwords?

message 6: by David (last edited Aug 01, 2014 03:32PM) (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 21 comments They send out list of books (usually free or heavily discounted) via email to subscribing members, Greg, for a fee that's generally dependent on the genre of your book. They also list them on a website. So basically advertising for ebooks.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

That's pretty cool. I have tried to use BookBub and OHFB (One Hudred Free Books) but they are pretty selective about who they advertise. Which is crazy because you have to pay a hefty fee. I've also used PRWeb to send out Press Releases. However, I have not seen a lot of results from that.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevinhallock) | 60 comments As David said, they send out emails to opt-in subscribers who pick the genre of your book. BargainBooksy costs $50 the last time I used them. eBookSoda is still building up its subscriber list so they only cost $5 when I used them recently so if you want to give them a try, it's not much of a financial risk. (I expect their rates will go up as the number of subscribers grows.) I haven't made any bestseller lists, but as a new author trying to spread the word, both services have given me sales from multiple vendors.

message 9: by Ellie (new)

Ellie  (elliekayba) | 4 comments Here's a link to a really good post on marketing your book and your image as an author on the blog for Creative Digital Studios. They are a design firm that specializes in Book Covers and Marketing Materials.

http://www.creativedigitalstudios.com...

message 10: by Henry (new)

Henry Tjernlund | 6 comments Hello. New novel author here. A co-writer and myself just got our first novel (for both of us) published. I am trying to help out with some online marketing. We need to get some favorable reviews on Amazon and other places. Right now we are both out of work and can't afford any advertising that costs money. Quest for Sleeping Handsome is a kids medieval fantasy story that is a reversal of Sleeping Beauty, with yet an extra twist. Here's the link.

http://tri-pub.com/titles/quest-for-s...

Any advice for getting this out there and seen so that we can get some good reviews would be really great.

Thanks in advance.
Henry

message 11: by A.F. (new)

Henry wrote: "Hello. New novel author here. A co-writer and myself just got our first novel (for both of us) published. I am trying to help out with some online marketing. We need to get some favorable reviews ..."

You can try Twitter; it's excellent for free promotion, especialy if you use hashtags like:
#amwriting
#books
#fiction
#authors

Also, Facebook groups can be good, providing you find ones that allow promotion. There's also review groups over on that site.

Goodreads can be a great site for finding reviewers. For instance, this group has a folders for review requests, and we also have some other places to post blurbs, and promos.
And Goodreads has a sub-listing of groups for children's books.

message 12: by Henry (new)

Henry Tjernlund | 6 comments Thanks. Someone suggested that Goodreads is better than FB. Never did twitter. I'm only seldom online.

Thanks. New to GR, so just figuring out what is where.