IGGPPC : Iggle BookWorms discussion

Lumberjanes: Up All Night (Lumberjanes, #1)
This topic is about Lumberjanes
Book Discussions > August 2014 Graphic Novel: Lumberjanes #1

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (persephone17) August was graphic novel month, and Lumberjanes #01 was picked(which falls in perfectly with IGGPPCamp! Here's the synopsis:

WHY WE LOVE IT: Five best friends spending the summer at Lumberjane scout camp...defeating yetis, three-eyed wolves, and giant falcons...what’s not to love?!

WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT: It’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Gravity Falls and features five butt-kicking, rad teenage girls wailing on monsters and solving a mystery with the whole world at stake. And with the talent of acclaimed cartoonist Noelle Stevenson, talented newcomer Grace Ellis writing, and Brooke Allen on art, this is going to be a spectacular series that you won’t want to miss.

WHAT IT’S ABOUT: Jo, April, Mal, Molly and Ripley are five best pals determined to have an awesome summer together...and they’re not gonna let any insane quest or an array of supernatural critters get in their way! Not only is it the second title launching in our new BOOM! Box imprint but LUMBERJANES is one of those punk rock, love-everything-about-it stories that appeals to fans of basically all excellent things.

Fits perfectly, right? When you're done, post your review/thoughts/questions on here, and we can have a big pow wow around the campfire(yes lame jokes). You can continue on with the other volumes, but only #1 will count towards the achievements. Happy reading(and camping)!

Alexis | 19 comments looking forward to when the trade paperback comes out. I want to read it but am rubbish at keeping up with single issues

Sarah (adventgeekgirl) | 56 comments Where is everyone finding a copy of this? None of my local stores have it and only amazon seems to have it for $18.99.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (persephone17) Sarah wrote: "Where is everyone finding a copy of this? None of my local stores have it and only amazon seems to have it for $18.99."

18.99? Wow that's expensive. 0.o

message 5: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (michelletheresa) | 228 comments You should be able to get issue 1 from yout local comic book store for about $4.

message 6: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (michelletheresa) | 228 comments Sarah wrote: "Where is everyone finding a copy of this? None of my local stores have it and only amazon seems to have it for $18.99."
Sarah, have you tried asking if they can order it for you?

Sarah (adventgeekgirl) | 56 comments My local store does not have it currently. They got 2 when it came out and they're gone. So there's nowhere else to get it than to go to out of town to a shop. Our libraries don't have any copies either.

Sarah (adventgeekgirl) | 56 comments You'd think they'd have offered. ::sigh:: Not a huge fan of my local shop. I never feel comfortable going in there. I'll look into it if I get the nerve to call them back.

message 9: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (michelletheresa) | 228 comments Where are you located, Sarah?

Kristin | 9 comments You can get a digital copy on comixology for $1.99 if you're okay with a non-physical copy.

message 11: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (michelletheresa) | 228 comments Kristin wrote: "You can get a digital copy on comixology for $1.99 if you're okay with a non-physical copy." Good call Kristin!

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (persephone17) Okay I tried finding a print copy online and zilch. I hadn't realized how hard it was to get! Kinda infuriating, actually, because I really wanted to read it this month and for camp. I don't like online editions, but I might have to break down.

message 13: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara Darling (saraduckie) | 7 comments Kristen thank you for the comixology suggestion! I'm not a massive fan of digital coppies of things but their mobile platform is really well done. The comic was quick to load and it's easy to use. <3 And now to finish the comic!

Kristin | 9 comments Kellsa wrote: "Kristen thank you for the comixology suggestion! I'm not a massive fan of digital coppies of things but their mobile platform is really well done. The comic was quick to load and it's easy to use. ..."

Oh good, I'm glad it worked out well. I agree, I much prefer physical copies, but sometimes an electronic version is the only option. I have several electronic comics that I'd love to get physical copies of, but that'll have to wait.

Kristin | 9 comments Another option if you want to read the first 4 Lumberjanes and a lot of other Boom comics, a Humble Bundle sale just started for them today: Here

Regan (mollytornado) | 36 comments So, I have read issue #1 of Lumberjanes. Nothing about it gripped me. The story doesn't make me want to read any further and the dialogue didn't interest me. The art is fairly good, but it's not enough to keep me around. I think this comic might appeal to people who like Adventure Time.

Alexis | 19 comments I just downloaded the humble bundle and read the first 4 issues. I think it's really cute and I like the art.

Sarah (adventgeekgirl) | 56 comments I thought I had checked Comixology, but I guess not. I've been doing most of my graphic novels digitally to keep sensitive content out of the hands of my now 4yo daughter (::coughwalkingdeadcough::).

BUT! Since Alexis mentioned Humble Bundle... I am so splurging to get ALL those. W00TS! I'm saved!

Thanks y'all!

Kristin | 9 comments I agree with Regan that the first issue didn't drag me in all on its own. However, I read the webcomic that one of the authors writes, so I'd been hearing about it for a while, so I was kind of excited just from all of that. I did really appreciate that it was a comic with younger girls and a wide range of personalities. If you get a chance to read some of the other issues, the story does get more interesting.

message 20: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (thepeachmartini) | 2 comments FRIENDSHIP TO THE MAX! :-)

I enjoyed what I read so far - probably should have went the Humble Bundle route, but I just picked up the first issue just to check it out. Now I have to pick up the rest to see WHAT THE JUNK is going on!

Amanda Boyd (msduh) I really love Lumberjanes! I actually have a copy of all the issues so far and am looking forward to more coming out. It's a light-hearted and easy read, perfect for anyone who like Adventure Time and such.
I think what really won me over was that it's not a bunch of girls at Summer camp with bug-fears and crushes on boys. It's about all those things that we (or at least I) got self conscience about as I grew up. You know, the whole "...that's not how ladies should act" bit. These girls are true to themselves...and I totally dig that.

message 22: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (thepeachmartini) | 2 comments I liked this so much I purchased the remaining issues to read later. It's a nice change of pace - lighthearted, not typical girly crap. LOL

I would totally want to be friends with them.

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (persephone17) I LOVED this series. Thank you so much Michelle for sending it to me! I'm hoping to get the next few issues soon. I really just want to be these girls' friend. That's all I ask for. They all have their special talents, and it's great to see them working together to figure out the mystery of the Kitten Holy(which I'm super curious about).

message 24: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (michelletheresa) | 228 comments You're welcome, Elizabeth! I think one of my favourite things about these comics are the play lists at the back of each issue! I have to start a Lumberjanes Spotify!