CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2014 Mini-Challenges > August's mini-challenge: The Art of Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) The Art of Reading: Read Something Featuring Art or Music

Whether you choose fiction or nonfiction, this month's challenge is wide open! Just pick something that has to do with art or music, in some form. Try Nikki Sixx's autiobiography. Or maybe you want to read about Andy Warhol. There are tons of novels featuring art, like Sacré Bleu by Christopher Moore.

Share what you are reading for this month's challenge here!

message 2: by Liz (last edited Aug 04, 2014 09:03AM) (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) This challenge seems like it might be a bit more difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would recommend Sacré Bleu by Christopher Moore. Of course, the Dan Brown, Robert Langdon series is always a good choice for action-packed art history lessons. A favorite from my childhood is From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.

Sacré Bleu A Comedy d'Art by Christopher Moore The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2) by Dan Brown From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

message 3: by Jodie (last edited Aug 05, 2014 06:27AM) (new)

Jodie Reha Vanished Smile by R.A. Scotti

Having recently seen the Mona Lisa in the Louvre, it's hard to imagine how it could be stolen. Would this fit the challenge? I thought it would be an interesting read!

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Jodie wrote: "Vanished Smile by R.A. Scotti

Having recently seen the Mona Lisa in the Louvre, it's hard to imagine how it could be stolen. Would this fit the challenge? I thought it would be an interesting read!"

Absolutely this would fit! It sounds very intriguing.

message 5: by Pattie (new)

Pattie Babbitt I just realized the book I minutes ago finished The Chase (Fox and O'Hare #2) by Janet Evanovich would work for this challenge! Yay!!

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Pattie wrote: "I just realized the book I minutes ago finished The Chase (Fox and O'Hare #2) by Janet Evanovichwould work for this challenge! Yay!!"

That's always a great feeling!

message 7: by Rekesha (new)

Rekesha | 45 comments Mod
I'm having a hard time with this challenge. Does anyone have any suggestions for nonfiction books on this topic?

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Rekesha wrote: "I'm having a hard time with this challenge. Does anyone have any suggestions for nonfiction books on this topic?"

Rekesha, I haven't read The Monuments Men, but I heard it's good, and it covers a lot of interesting stuff. (The movie was really good!)

Museum of the Missing also looks pretty interesting. We have it in our collection: http://ezlibrary.infopeake.org/Record...

Hope you find something that you enjoy!

message 9: by Rekesha (new)

Rekesha | 45 comments Mod
Liz wrote: "Rekesha, I haven't read The Monuments Men, but I heard it's good, and it covers a lot of interesting stuff. (The movie was really good!)

Museum of the Missing also looks pretty interesting."

Thanks for the suggestions!

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie | 130 comments Sadly, I am still on June's challenge. My evening reading has been cut quite short, so audio books have been my main source of moving forward.

However, I have three more chapters so I should finish that tonight, then I can catch up!

message 11: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments I will have to think about this one! I just started the True Blood series of books for something light when I was out of town.