Espionage Aficionados discussion

Movies/TV > strange espionage flicks

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Jul 31, 2014 01:18PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 646 comments Mod
There's certainly no shortage of ...eh, how should we say? Slightly 'off-kilter' spy movies that come-and-go across the airwaves of late-night TV. At least they used to: in the new world of cable, I'm not sure what goes on.

Anyone remember, "The Kremlin Letter"?

How about "Assignment: To Kill"?

Both are set in wintery landscapes, and both star Patrick O'Neal. Tall, steely-haired actor with a dry, gravelly voice and a hawk-nose. You may remember him from 'King Rat' and 'Stepford Wives' and 'In Harm's Way'.

Let's hear some of yours. Action, thriller, mystery and suspense titles also welcome...as long as they are odd/.

Don't give me merely bad spy flicks like, 'The Swiss Conspiracy', 'The Salzburg Connection', etc..I'd rather hear about ones which are weird but still somehow, likeable.

Although my first-mentioned above, is really more bad than anything else. The only praise I can render for it is that it stars the hulking, menacing Richard Boone.

message 2: by Jerry (new)

Jerry (banjo1) | 15 comments The Bourne films are tough to beat.

message 3: by Doubledf99.99 (last edited Jul 31, 2014 04:42PM) (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 123 comments I have always liked the movie "The Odessa File"..

message 4: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Yeah Doub. Y'know I think I've only seen pieces of that one. Its worth finding and viewing again, from start to finish.

Voight had a great little string of odd European films, didn't he. Another one was 'End of the Game'.

The book by Forsyth is super, super, eerie. Oozes atmosphere. Shock ending. I don't think I could read that one again, it left such a deep impression on me.

Similarly as did 'The Wind Chill Factor'.

message 5: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

'Danger: Diabolik!'

message 6: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 123 comments Terry-Thomas, cooool...

message 7: by Roger (new)

Roger Cave | 16 comments How about The Eiger Sanction. Slightly odd, but enjoyable nontheless.

message 8: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Know it well

message 9: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 123 comments Would the Guy Hamilton directed movie Remo Williams qualify??

message 10: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

sure

message 11: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Jun 23, 2015 08:35AM) (new)

Some great cover art here..

message 12: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 123 comments I need to watch that movie again..

message 13: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Jun 24, 2015 08:04AM) (new)

Aye. Any action movie with a locomotive train is worth re-watching. Really any Jack Cardiff-directed movie is always worth a re-watch.

Beware though, of the disturbing scene of (view spoiler). (For a while, I thought this was Alain Delon in a cameo but its just an actor who resembles him).

Here's the link to a larger res version of the cover art above. Wow what stuff. Cowabunga!

It's taken from some Wordpress blog which favors album art from the vinyl age. The album art direction in this case is by Jack Anesh. The front cover illustration is by Frank McCarthy.

Finesse and craftsmanship no longer seen anymore.

message 14: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 123 comments Thats a great poster, like how the lady is holding the pistol, quite different style than now days.

message 15: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 9 comments Does anyone remember the Our Man Flint movies?

message 16: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Jun 25, 2015 09:16PM) (new)

Certainly we do. Coburn sure was lean and rakish in those flicks with his turtleneck sweaters.

What's really needed is someone to redress the travesty of the Matt Helm flicks. Horribly botched; when the books are some of the gems of American hard-boiled crime writing.

message 17: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 123 comments Cphe wrote: "Does anyone remember the Our Man Flint movies?"

Loved them one of our young sayings was "in like flint".

The Presidrnt's Analyst is pretty good to..

message 18: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 123 comments Feliks wrote: "Certainly we do. Coburn sure was lean and rakish in those flicks with his turtleneck sweaters.

What's really needed is someone to redress the travesty of the Matt Helm flicks. Horribly botched; w..."

Those movies were atrocious.... even as kids we said wtf are the songs for, enough of the singing....