Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Book Clubs! > Feel Good Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 824 (824 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments This thread is for BRs of historical romance books - reads that make you feel comfy and good. :)

Founders: Choko and Laura

message 2: by Laura (last edited Jun 16, 2018 04:27AM) (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments titles we'll read and set dates:

The Falcons of Montabard - start date 12.06.2018

The Duke and I - start date 17.06.2018

message 4: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7768 comments I found it. I am here 😀

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2386 comments i will definitely keep an eye what you two are reading here. :)

message 6: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7768 comments The more the merrier 😀😀😀

message 7: by Virginie (last edited Jun 11, 2018 03:32AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Hehe, I love that plenty of threads for themed BRs are popping up! I've never read historical romance so I'll def lurk around here and try at least one book :)

message 8: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3178 comments I will keep an eye too. :)

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments are there any other titles you'd like to suggest Choko? By a different author?

message 10: by Lena (new)

Lena Could use some feel good after Altered Carbon. I’ll keep an eye out. Last one I read was A Curious Beginning, loved it. Definitely reading the rest of them when scribd gets them on audio next month.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Oh, I love historical fiction. And I love romance. So... Sounds like a good mashup to me. I can't join this month cuz I'm already overwhelmed but I'll keep my eyes on this thread for next month.

message 12: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4379 comments I might join in on some of these.

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Yeay! The more the merrier!
If you girls have any recs of great feel good books please post them here.

message 14: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7768 comments So, I started The Falcons of Montabard ... Interesting start. Sabin FitzSimon and his brother sure were (view spoiler) in the beginning... Let's see how it goes:)

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I'll start it now also. :)

message 16: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7768 comments We can guess who the love interest will be pretty early... I like the set up and I hope we get some growth from our dude😀

message 17: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Timelord Iain | 18082 comments Mod
Veronica should have a lot of suggestions for this thread...

I read A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1) by Deanna Raybourn A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell, #2) by Deanna Raybourn A Treacherous Curse (Veronica Speedwell, #3) by Deanna Raybourn early last year, and thought they had a real steampunk heroine vibe... 2+ more books planned

Then Veronica got me to read the first 10 Sebastian St. Cyr books, starting with What Angels Fear... I'm still 3-4 books behind on that with no end of series in sight...

I also have a few in my TBR I need to get to, but I'm so booked with everything else we read here, that it's hard to make time, probably join in with what you read here to spice my reading up... I like how we've been creating off-genre threads lately to break up all the SF/Fantasy reading but still read together...

message 18: by Lena (new)

Lena More gaslight than steampunk Iain. At least the first book.

message 19: by Lena (new)

Lena Just looked up What Angels Fear. The first thing I read was..."raped and savagely murdered." Are you sure that’s a Feel Good Book?

message 20: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

I went more with historical romance than feel-good, in my mentions, sorry... the first book is more of a Framed For Murder scenario... and the lasting romance doesn't happen until books 4+... Sebastian St. Cyr is pretty solidly historical mystery as well as historical romance... Sebastian gets roped into solving crimes pro-bono each book (because nobility doesn't work for pay), and they can be a bit brutal or politically-motivated...

message 21: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2386 comments my feel good books include coming-of-age. Would be Watership Down, Black Swan Green, Boy's Life, Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine], A Tree Grows in Brooklyn...

... A Monster Calls, though not a feel good book but definitely a gem.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments @Choko - at which chapter are you now and how do you like it?
Or did you finish it already?

message 23: by Laura Tenfingers (last edited Jun 14, 2018 05:14AM) (new)

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments I love Elizabeth Chadwick!! I'm working on reading all of her books... 17 down, 7 more to go! The Greatest Knight is the best.

message 24: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Jun 14, 2018 05:42AM) (new)

Laura wrote: "I love Elizabeth Chadwick!! I'm working on reading all of her books... 17 down, 7 more to go! The Greatest Knight is the best."

I'm going to try and give her a go when I get a chance... I'm squeezing in romance reads on my Kindle (about the only thing I seem to successfully Kindle read these days)... but so much of my time is taken up with audiobooks and other things...

message 25: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7768 comments I am 40% in and it is OK, but it is not what I was feeling like... I needed some easy flirtation and some mindless enjoyment, while this is much more of a serious read... I want to see where it goes, since I love the Cruses history, so I do not mind it at all... I just need some more character from the main female lead :):):)

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I feel quite the same. that's why I balance it with contemporary romance and romantasy.
this is a good read but far too serious for my mood right now.

message 27: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7768 comments Laura wrote: "I feel quite the same. that's why I balance it with contemporary romance and romantasy.
this is a good read but far too serious for my mood right now."

Exactly!!!

message 28: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7768 comments Well, I finished it and it was not bad, just too serious for what we needed. Guys, we need advice for something light, flirty, and romantic... Any ideas?

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I'm almost done witb it also and agree. Waaay to serious.

And I second Choko's request.

Please guys, do recommend us something light and fluffy to feel good after reading it.

message 30: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7768 comments It was well written and not a bad read, although it did seem to drag a bit in the second half... I am still glad we read it, and they say it is not typical for the rest of her works...

message 31: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2386 comments Why don't you guys try first book in knitting in the city, am sure that will make you feel good. :)

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I've only read Daughters of the Grail by her and that one was very different. I absolutely loved it. This one is a lot heavier and it did drag even for me.

message 33: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2386 comments Duke and I? It's hilarious.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments @Manju - Choko wants historical feel good. Any recs for that?

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Yessss! How about The Duke and I Choko?
Mayim also said she loves that book to pieces.

message 36: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2386 comments Laura wrote: "@Manju - Choko wants historical feel good. Any recs for that?"

I realized that later. 😷

message 37: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7768 comments Yes!!! Let's do it!!!

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments great. when do we start?

message 39: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7768 comments Just say the word, I will be there:)

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments anytime Choko. You choose.

message 41: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7768 comments Let's start tomorrow 😀

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments done. :)

message 43: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments @Choc @Dragonchild
May I join, if you both don't mind? The Deerskin thread + @Diana being a 😎 bawss with her BR tally totally put me in the mood for a impromptu historical romance BR and tho' I won't finish it in one day like you both prolly will, I promise to be good.

message 44: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7768 comments You are always welcome, Z! We have been feeling like something light, since it seems everything we have been reading as of late has been dark and heavy....

message 45: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments Thanks Choc. Yeah, I see what you mean. This should be fun. Highly recommended by many romance junkies + it IS Julia Quinn, so....

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Welcome Z!! I'm glad you found us here. :)

I'm all for impromptu reads this month. Light and fluffy as much as possible to make us feel gooood. :D

This is my first read by Julia Quinn. Did you read other books of hers also?
And if you have any suggestion for other great historical goodies please do let us know.

message 47: by Zaara (last edited Jun 17, 2018 01:51AM) (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments I think Laura and I have started.
@Dragonchild, I'm a horrible book recommender but am very good at identifying areas of expertise...i.e. finding who knows what.
@Sha is your gal!

EDIT- And I have just cunningly enticed her to this thread (gulp!) I hope.

message 48: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments YESSSSSS

I AM HERE

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

message 49: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments *coughs and stuffs deranged inner me under the bed*

A crusader romance? Huh- I think the only one of those I ever read was an MM short in an anthology. I should try it out, but be warty about ideological minefields.

The Duke and I is probably due for a re-read. I should see how far my tastes have changed. //nodnod

As for recs, I do have lists, but I'd rater wait and see what people feel about the current books so that I can more accurately then up with what they may prefer? Because recs based on my tastes don't always work out. Heh.

message 50: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Well, I finished it and it was not bad, just too serious for what we needed. Guys, we need advice for something light, flirty, and romantic... Any ideas?

If you are okay with historical inaccuracies and Monty Python-esque situations, possibly The Duke's Holiday? There is very little drama, and a lot of really weird scenes, but it's also very funny.

I'd also rec The Perfect Rake- there is more drama in it, but the characters don't really brood over their drama, which I appreciated.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17