The Macabre & Creepy Edgar Allan Poe group discussion

Story selections

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
Any suggestions on what stories we should start out with? I had thought at least 2 reading two stories or poems a month. Give me some ideas of which story to start with, or how about we start with a poem?? "QUOTH THE RAVEN....NEVERMORE!!

Hope to hear from you guys!

message 2: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) Don't start with the Raven...that's almost a cliche ;)

How about Murders in the Rue Morgue. I've been wanting to read that again forever.

message 3: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
I just read that one recently. Any other suggestions? We could make a list,and add to it. I am willing to start with that one. I will see what i hear from others,and make a choice for sure, in the next couple of days.

Welcome so far, Brad,and Scott.

message 4: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 7 comments How about The Tell-Tale Heart?

message 5: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
join the group, Popularrandi??

message 6: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
whoops, i just noticed you joined already . welcome!!!!

message 7: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) Pit and The Pendulum

message 8: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 7 comments The Fall of the House of Usher or The Purloined Letter?

message 9: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) Me likes the Purloined Letter.

message 10: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Purloined Letter gets my vote.

message 11: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Gary, you're the moderator, you pick! Although, I think Purloined Letter is great, so is the heretofore not mentioned Cask of Amontillado. Not that I'm hinting or anything. hehehehe

message 12: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 7 comments I like both of those books (The Purloined Letter and Cask of Amontillado). That was going to be my next pick.

message 13: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
i will pick from what i see on here,and stuff on monday. gonna give it one more day.

message 14: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) After the stories, we HAVE to do that poetry too. hehehehe

message 15: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
you bet!!!! yes!

message 16: by Gary (last edited Aug 16, 2009 08:25AM) (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
some tips on getting the stories,and poems you will need to read in the future. so much of poe's poems and stories are easily found online. just google the title,and you can usually find it there to read on the screen or to print out.
also, the book pictures on this webpage is available at barnes and noble. i bought a copy for each of my two sons to give them for their halloween present. i have a smaller sized book put out by modern library that is pretty beaten up because i've used it so much. anyway, there are some hints to find what you need either free online, or bite the bullet and get an old fashioned book that has all his works in it. i like that because i can read them over and over,and find the new things right there at my fingertips. also, for those of you with ebook machines (traitors! lol!) you can download stuff too. forgot about that. a friend of mine that's on here is doing that.

good luck,and have some spooky fun. first 2 stories will be announced on monday. so, if you want to get your choices in, you have one more day to give your 2 cents!

thanks everyone!
gary

message 17: by Gary (last edited Aug 17, 2009 05:40PM) (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
stories chosen.

THE BLACK CAT
PURLOINED LETTER

NEW STORIES/POEMS WILL BE CHOSEN SEPT. 18TH. submit titles you're interested in.
thanks!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I have only read Raven, Usher, and Tell-Tale Heart, and way back when, The Pit and the Pendulum, so I'm up for anything in September.

message 19: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
will submit a new story in mid sept. look for it!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Got the book and hope to join everyone with the next selection. Is it September already!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I bought the wrong book. I'm taking the chance that it will suffice, but if not, I'll have to exchange.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Brad mentioned Murders ...Rue Morgue. That sounds interesting. Have you guys read that yet? My book says it's considered one of the first detective stories.

message 23: by Gary (last edited Sep 03, 2009 01:44PM) (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
i think what you have is fine, stephen. if you look at the book i have a picture of on this group page, it's a leatherbound copy of ALL his works, and barnes & noble has it for $19.95. I actually bought 2 copies,and I am giving them to my sons as gifts for halloween. the copy i have is several years old now,and it's from Modern Library. see this website to see what i have.

http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlibr...

i imagine what you have will have most of the important works included, for sure. no worries, be happy!!! lol!

message 24: by Gary (last edited Sep 03, 2009 01:45PM) (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
Murders in the Rue Morgue was the first detective story,and inspired Sir Arthur Conan Doyle to write about Sherlock Holmes. The new Edgar Allan Poe musical , which is featured on here has a great song about the story. I'd recommend that you download it, or get the cd,and listen to it. I've been listening to it a lot. It's really good!

However, Kathleen it is pretty lengthy. It's like a novella. Maybe we could read it in November,and stick with shorter stories between now and Halloween.

gary

message 25: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) I thought Purloined Letter was first detective story?

message 26: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
i think they both came out pretty close together???

message 28: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
The Murders in the Rue Morgue" is a short story by Edgar Allan Poe published in Graham's Magazine in 1841. It has been claimed as the first detective story.

see full webpage above...

message 31: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
renting???? a book???

message 32: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
New Story. William Wilson!! for sept.