The Book Was Better discussion

GENERAL > Book Slumps

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sheena (new)

Sheena (biblioboppitybooks) I apologize if this was started anywhere else, but I didn't see it, so....here it is now!!! :-)

Does anyone else get into book slumps? I LOVE reading, I think we can all easily say we do, but sometimes (like right now :-/ ) I can't seem to get into any type of book, regardless of genre, length, or whatever. I haven't picked up a brand new book in a couple of weeks! I'm pretty sure that is sinful lol.

So what I'm getting at (isn't it amazing how one can ramble even though editing is an option?), what do YOU do to get out of a reading slump? Do you just force yourself to read? Wait it out? WHAT?????? :-)

message 2: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1688 comments Mod
I like this topic since I am dealing with one this summer! It is too hot to sit and read when I can be out in the sun playing and going on adventures. I have been trying to slog through some books, but for the most part it is a chore to do so! I tried to read some novellas to help feel like I was still reading and keeping it short, but I still for sure want to read some full books and struggle still. I don't know if the right book will make it just click, or if I just need to get some of my adventuring out and then read when I am sick of going out and having fun! haha

message 3: by Sheena (new)

Sheena (biblioboppitybooks) I have been doing the same thing with novellas. I figure at least it's some type of reading, and maybe I'll stick to it since they're so short. Maybe it's the same here with me. I have a lot going on in my life right now, a lot of stress, so maybe that's why I haven't dived into anything in a while.

I have to snap out of it though! I need to reread The Giver since the movie is coming out in a couple of weeks, but I just can't seem to make myself, and I love that book too! lol

AND, I'm totally not going to reach my reading goal this year if I don't snap out of it! :-P

message 4: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I re-read the Giver a few months ago, and ws glad I did. I for sure will not be seeing the movie though. They totally ruined the book! But, there are a LOT of other books I am trying to get through. I already reach my goal of 52 books this year, and now am close to the new goal of 104. So, really, it's okay if I slow down, but I would like to up it to 150 but I do not know if I will get to make it to that... We shall see I guess!

I wondering if re-reading would be a good idea. I want to re-read The Shadow Series. Maybe that will pull me from the slump. Sadly I am committed to finishing The Artimis Fowl series first..and who knows how long that will take!

message 5: by Sheena (new)

Sheena (biblioboppitybooks) I don't expect I'll like the movie, but I have this OCD thing with books and movies from books. For instance, once I start reading a series, unless I absolutely HATE it, I HAVE to finish it. Whether it's all at once or over time, it gets under my skin if I don't complete it. Then when it comes to movies, not only do I want to read the entire series before even one movie comes out, but even if I dread seeing the movie because I know they ruined it, I HAVE to watch it (and in theaters, not dvd for some reason). It's weird and quirky, but it's how things like this has to go down in my life or I won't be able to stand it! lol

My goal last year was 100 books, and I got to 115, so for this year I bumped it up to 130. My goal is to also manage to get to 150 a year (if I'm REALLY lucky, it would be great to eventually get up to 200 a year). But right now, I'm only around book 60 :-(. I know I still have time to catch up, but I should be far ahead of 60 by now. I feel like a slacker lol.

Who writes the Shadow series? I don't think I've heard of it. Do you not like the Artemis Fowl series? I haven't read it yet, but it's on my tbr list.

message 6: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I am like that a little. I was reading Matched and did not love it, but kept going with the series just to see it through... Occasionally I will stop, but generally I hold out hope that it will get better and want to see it through.

I really like Artemis Fowl, possibly just cuz it ties in a lot with Ireland and stuff. I went there when I was 15 and my best friend is from there, so those little tie ins are fun to me!

Shadow Children is by Margaret Haddix. I read it a few years ago and LOVED it! So good!! I feel like it is not well known, but really well done. I am excited to take a second look at it now that it has been a while.

message 7: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. O' Leary (MrsOLearysayswoaf) | 37 comments I only get in book slumps if I have nothing good to read.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (katethebookthief) | 3 comments I definitely get into book slumps - I'll have a pile of books to read that I'd normally love but or some reason I just don't feel like it!

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate (katethebookthief) | 3 comments Dana wrote: "I am like that a little. I was reading Matched and did not love it, but kept going with the series just to see it through... Occasionally I will stop, but generally I hold out hope that it will get..."

I love Artemis Fowl and I really need to finish the series - it's been a few years. It was one of my all-time favourite books when I was younger - not least because of my national pride :P

message 10: by Sheena (new)

Sheena (biblioboppitybooks) I will have to check it out!

I wish I was that way. I have hundreds of books that are unread between my kindle and what I buy out and about, but I just can't seem to get into ANY of them. I get in slumps like this once or twice a year, and I'll pop out of them suddenly, but I wish I wouldn't get in them in the first place! :-)

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (katethebookthief) | 3 comments I've had exams for the past year so the amount of books I read decreased... but the amount of books I bought didn't. Running out of shelf space, still need to get back up to speed.

message 12: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Kate wrote: "Dana wrote: "I am like that a little. I was reading Matched and did not love it, but kept going with the series just to see it through... Occasionally I will stop, but generally I hold out hope tha..."

I am on book 4 I think now... Hopefully I will be able to push through my slump and read the rest. They are for sure really fun and hard to guess what will be coming next, and I love that! :)

message 13: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Kate wrote: "I've had exams for the past year so the amount of books I read decreased... but the amount of books I bought didn't. Running out of shelf space, still need to get back up to speed."

In the Spring I am really busy, but still keep reading. In summer though when I get home from the business and everything I am just so tired I don't even want to read. This is new for this year.... But, fall is coming, and hopefully if nothing else then I will be able to get back to my massive list of books to read! :)

message 14: by Sheena (new)

Sheena (biblioboppitybooks) Kate wrote: "I've had exams for the past year so the amount of books I read decreased... but the amount of books I bought didn't. Running out of shelf space, still need to get back up to speed."

I am the same way when it comes to buying books. Regardless of how many I do or do not read, I ALWAYS BUY MORE BOOKS!!! If a store sells books, I am bound to walk out with one lol.

message 15: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments I don’t necessarily have book slumps but... after finishing a really good book I just don’t know what I want to read. I end up picking up the next book and just force myself to read to get out of it. sometimes this isn't a good thing as I don’t enjoy the author as much as I should. Other times the book will "wake me up" and I end up getting into it like the last good book :D

I've also been meaning to try and de-crease my spending so I can attack the endless book piles I have but they never seem to shrink!! first world problems haha

message 16: by Kyara (new)

Kyara | 158 comments I am finally out of the massive book slump that I was stuck in! I had so much book guilt that it kept on building up and ended up reading 2 books in a day... definitely out of the slump.
Although now I know I have to wait a few months for the next book in the series so I've been staring at my books like 'you are not what I want.' Back in the slump? Maybe just a slight book hangover hahah

message 17: by Sheena (new)

Sheena (biblioboppitybooks) haha, I know that feeling

message 18: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I feel like I am about to get out of mine now that school is back in swing for the kids at work and my job is less intense all day. We have some rainy weather hitting for the first time this month, and I am looking forward to reading as much as possible this weekend while I sit around my house and just chill!!! haha

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments I got into a slump at around mid-May after my trip to South Korea and the Philippines. I was planning to read a brick but by the time I got back, I've only read less than 100 pages. It took me almost the next month to go through the other 700 pages of that book.

And after that, I did not know what to read next. I started so many but never got through chapter 3. I just continued on to the next book of the series that I was reading. But now, I'm back to the grind!

message 20: by Maina (new)

Maina I seem to get into slumps with everything I do lol. I will binge read 20 books in 3 or 4 months (I'm not that fast of a reader) then I won't pick one up for the rest of the year. I do the same thing with knitting and crocheting, the gym, baking...

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments I'm in between books right now. :\ I read 4 bricks in a row, with two smaller ones in between. I'm debating whether to continue on with the series of bricks or pick an easier book to read for the mean time.

But right now, I don't know what to read next. DX

message 22: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I was in a slump most of summer but now I am back to reading but just don't have as much free time as I want! Haha. I am reading the ugliest series, the fifth wave series, and getting ready to start the legend series. Fall is busy at work but thankfully this weekend I should have a lot of time to sit and read! :)

message 23: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. O' Leary (MrsOLearysayswoaf) | 37 comments Legend is a great series and I'm just about to start the Uglies myself. (:

message 24: by Sheena (new)

Sheena (biblioboppitybooks) I had finally gotten out of my slump a couple weeks ago by starting to reread, for the 3rd time, the Anita Blake novels. I guess if all else fails, reread an old favorite! It worked to get me out of a slump this time at least. :-)

message 25: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I have not had a summer slump like this past year in a LONG time! I think it was the weather just being too hot and keeping me too tired to do much more than crawl into my bed when I was home. I am still really busy, but it is not as hot out, so I feel less tired at the end of the day! Gotta love my Washington State weather! ;)

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Yeah, I agree. If all else fails, re-read a favorite.

message 27: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Okay..... I'm so busy with the holidays right now that I feel like I cannot really get into a book.... I have been trying to read shorter books and novella and all that, but I still don't really make time to read like I could/should. I just have a lot of holiday parties and friends I want to see and kind of just want to sit around and drink coffee and chill! I did a few audio books recently, and am waiting for some more, so hopefully that might help some......... :/

message 28: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Napier (rosered97) | 21 comments I go with short story collections when I can't focus on a longer novel. Something I can sit and read in five minute increments and enjoy without having to finish. I'm currently reading an anthology called Faceoff that has different thriller writers' protagonists meeting in stand-alone stories. NEAT stuff, I'd like to see something similar in other genres like fantasy and horror.

message 29: by ABookGirl1 (new)

ABookGirl1 | 0 comments If I'm determined to start reading again I'll just jump into a book and not stop until I feel better. I had this happen after I read Gone Girl. I think it was more of a Book Hangover. So, I just forced myself to read for a couple hours for 2-3 days straight and I was cured! Hope that helps.

message 30: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I'm going to try re-reading a series I read a few years back. I've been wanting to read it again for a while, so maybe the familiar content will help some. But with all the events I have literally every day this week time is against me to even find the time to read! I think it's just the crazy time of year again, like it was for me in summer...just compacted into one month this time! haha

message 31: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments I like reading anthologies when I dont want to start a new book... like now. I just finished the newest from one of my fav authors and I'm going to pick up somehting "easy" to read to get back into it :D

message 32: by Sheena (new)

Sheena (biblioboppitybooks) That's what I do too. I will buy a bunch of anthologies, and read one or two stories in between my big books to help me out if I don't want to jump into a full length.

Plus rereading a book/series I love always helps me now get out of slumps.

message 33: by ABookGirl1 (new)

ABookGirl1 | 0 comments Where would be a good place to find anthologies?

message 34: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Normally I buy one that contains an author I've enjoyed before. Sometimes they do Christmas specials or team up with an up and coming who wants to get their work out there. ummm trying to think of one I recently really enjoyed... oh I know the fireman short stories. Smokin' Hot Firemen: Erotic Romance Stories for Women they were a fun read. :D

message 35: by Mysti (new)

Mysti Parker | 2 comments It's hard for me to get into reading sometimes, being an author and editor. I tend to go into critiquing mode. But, being a regular book reviewer for an online magazine challenges me to find good books every other month so I can enjoy the read AND use my analytic skillz ;)

message 36: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Napier (rosered97) | 21 comments BookGirl wrote: "Where would be a good place to find anthologies?"

The library's always good. Then you can test-drive new authors for free without fear of commitment.

message 37: by Maina (new)

Maina I tend to do different things during different times of year...summer is reading by the pool or at the beach, winter is crafting, knitting, and crocheting. If I'm in a slump, I usually try to pick up something light and easy to read that I can get through quickly. Or if I know a movie is coming out that's based on a book, I will try to read that then go see the movie.

message 38: by Mysti (new)

Mysti Parker | 2 comments I've set my 2015 reading goal on GR to 20 books so it's not expecting too much :) Is that sad?

message 39: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 3 comments I find I more go on book binges and book slumps are my norm. More due to time than anything else. When I am on vacation or visiting my parents and away from the computer and work, I read 2 or 3 books at a time. But there are weeks at a time I don't pick up a book. :(

message 40: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

This year I for sure had a mega slump in summer and then again leading into Christmas. Still read 150 books this year, but knowing how tough it was to push myself and read that many I'm only going for 104 in 2015!

message 41: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) I don't read as much as I should so when I do I'm always getting into book slumps. I'm currently reading two books, one i've been reading since last June and the other since November. So yes, I get into book slumps, big time!

message 42: by Sam (last edited Jan 06, 2015 08:50PM) (new)

Sam | 606 comments @ Catherine, I don’t think any number is sad. for me it would be harder to pick 20 reads as I tend to read nearly every day. If I had to cull down that would be nearly impossible. so after reading my comment just now in my opinion if anyone is "sad" that would be me haha

@ Dana, well done on reaching your goal for 2014! I don't think I could do that many :) I'm working my way up to it tho! haha mine for this year is 135.

message 43: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Yeah...I don't think that I could do that many again. Especially since I have lots of vacations planned this year! So, hopefully the more modest goal will be a little better. :)

message 44: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sammylancaster) | 31 comments I want to say to anyone in a book slump... do not try and force yourself to read! You can't, and you'll upset yourself trying. Getting out of you book slump isn't easy either. You can try to continue where you left off in a book, or maybe start over completely. Or you can get into a new book! Going to the book store and looking at all the beautiful covers and titles and seeing the faces of books you have already read and enjoyed can definitely bring you into swing again!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Here's a post that I wrote on reading slumps:
http://readinggoodbooks.wordpress.com...

message 46: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lingenfelter (StephanieLingenfelter) I get in these all the time! Over my winter break, I only read 3 books and I was so disappointed with my self.

message 47: by Mochaspresso (new)

Mochaspresso  | 6 comments It happens to me a lot. Especially when I am reading something because I think it's what I should be reading rather than because I genuinely want to read it.

message 48: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) In a book and writing slump :/ I know..laziness gets me what can I tell ya ?

message 49: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Scott I feel your pain Justin, I'm pretty much constantly in a writing slump!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments LOL I've been in a writing slump for YEARS. I haven't written any fan fiction in forever.

« previous 1