Great American Read List discussion

Members' Progress > Tiffany's Great American Read 2018

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Anderson (miss5elements) | 7 comments Hi All,

My Great American Read list is a part of my "Around the World in a Year" challenge:

1. And Then There Were None
2. The Catcher in the Rye
3. The Da Vinci Code
4. The Grapes of Wrath
5. The Handmaid's Tale
6. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
7. The Hunger Games
8. Memoirs of a Geisha
9. Outlander
10. The Pillars of the Earth
11. Pride and Prejudice
12. War and Peace
13. White Teeth

I just finished Crime and Punishment today. Good luck in getting as many Great American Reads as you can this year!

message 2: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jun 12, 2018 06:41AM) (new)

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
Hello Tiffany, and welcome to the Great American Read List group! Thank you for creating a personal bookshelf and also for joining our group challenge with a goal of 15 books!

Have you read the Outlander series in its entirety? I've yet to read the last two, An Echo in the Bone and Written in my Own Heart's Blood. A friend suggested it and when I finally began I thought, 'Why didn't I read this sooner?' STARZ's television series began shortly after I'd started the book series. I've been watching that as well.
I haven't read the last book in the Robert Langdon series either, Origin, but this list gives me reason to catch up!

Crime and Punishment has been on my to-read shelf for a long time, but I have read Dostoevsky's The Idiot and thought it was brilliant!

message 3: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Anderson (miss5elements) | 7 comments Hi Lavan, you're welcome & thanks for the warm welcome!

I haven't read any of the Outlander series yet, but your recommendation for it & the tv series has me itching to get home to look for it. I did see the first season of The Handmaid's Tale - amazing!

Watching the Great American Read was great inspiration - thanks for setting this group up!

message 4: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jun 12, 2018 04:52PM) (new)

My pleasure, Tiffany!
I think I misunderstood. Is your list that of books you intend to read for this group's challenge as well as for another group? I thought it was a list of books you've already read, my mistake!

Is The Handmaid's Tale on Netflix?
I recently watched the miniseries Alias Grace, also adapted from an Atwood novel. It was excellent!

You're most welcome, I enjoy moderating!

message 5: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Anderson (miss5elements) | 7 comments My apologies - that's my list of books for this group's challenge. And I pulled them from the other challenge I'm currently doing involving 50 books.

The Handmaid's Tale is on Hulu. I've heard lots of people rave about Alias Grace. I think it's time to put my tv watching on some sort of schedule. :)

message 6: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Excellent!
Some list books here also overlap with another group of which I'm a member. It's nice when that happens!

I'm not sure if I have Hulu. I'm going to check.