P&P Romance Book Group discussion

The Ruin of a Rake (The Turners #3)
This topic is about The Ruin of a Rake
June 2018 - The Ruin of a Rake

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shana (new)

Shana (shanap) | 5 comments Hi all! For those who were able to join, thank you for a lively discussion! All are invited to share their thoughts below :)

message 2: by Sandlynn (last edited Jun 11, 2018 04:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sandlynn | 10 comments I enjoyed our book group's conversation yesterday evening and agree with those who were interested in learning more about Eleanor and her husband.

The one thing that occurred to me at the end of this book is that it felt slightly unfinished for me, and I believe that's because we are so used to having a marriage or the promise of a marriage at the end of a romance (leaving aside that marriages are not always forever).

The marriage trope, of course, isn't always a part of today's romance novels -- contemporary or otherwise -- even when the main couple is heterosexual and even when marriage became legally possible for everyone. Some romances do just end with a happy couple who have not made that commitment. But it struck me, reading the end of an *historical* romance, featuring a gay couple, that this popular trope is unavailable and so the author has to find some other way to show a commitment, putting that final coda on the story. I'm thinking that showing Julian and Courtenay surrounded by like-minded, committed couples is the way the author chose to do it, signifying a support system and a safety zone for them that could help them to last. Still, I kind of felt like I needed a ceremony. ;-)