What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historical romance, 17th C? English man follows woman he loves to Paris, she betrays him & marries his older brother who is heir to the estate. He returns to England, marries a young lady. More details... Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stina (new)

Stina Thorhauge | 2 comments A man runs away to Paris, after the woman he is in love with, betrays him and marries his older brother. He then returns to England, when his brother has commited suicide, because he is now the heir to the estate. He ends up marrying a young lady and is furious when he learns during their wedding night, that she is not a virgin (unbeknownst to him, she was held down by - dont remember if the man was a neighbour or?) a man who inserted something to break her hymen). But this man was in love with her mother and somehow believes her to be his daughter and doesn't want to risk her getting married - i think. He ends up kidnapping her and her child, wanting to bring them with him to America - i think. She is of course rescued. And it turns out his brother commited suicide because his wife tricked him into marriage and he was miserable. - I believe the story takes place during the 17th century, because they are mentioned as wearing wigs and the main charather is described as wearing very high fashion and makeup.

message 2: by Annamariah (new)

Annamariah | 283 comments I'm 99 percent sure you're looking for Heartless by Mary Balogh :)

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40674 comments Mod
Stina, as you saw in the popup box when you posted your comment, please put some plot details in your header. And say when you read the book. This makes your query a lot easier to solve.

message 4: by Kris (last edited Jun 26, 2018 03:01AM) (new)

Kris | 36597 comments Mod
Stina, Annamariah's suggestion of Heartless by Mary Balogh looks very promising looking at Goodreads reviews. Can you confirm?

Here is the Google Books preview of Heartless - https://books.google.com/books?id=Drf... There are different cover images.

I added plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it using the small "edit" link on the desktop website (not the mobile app).

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40674 comments Mod
Stina, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Heartless (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mary Balogh (other topics)