ENC Press Books discussion

Moon Beaver

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ENC (new)

ENC Press (enc_press) | 21 comments Mod
We would like to invite those of our fans who have read Moon Beaver by Andrew Hook to discuss its many-faceted and multihued points, issues, hijinks, and any thought that come to mind inspired by this adventure story for those who hate adventure stories. (Moon Beaver)

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Oct 12, 2009 11:40AM) (new)

Sarah | 6 comments What I particularly loved about this novel was the connection between Lou and Moon. They each have seemingly opposite ideas of life and survival, which makes their lifestyles incompatible, and yet they can't completely distance themselves from each other. Lou is all about ancestry and financial stability, while Moon preaches living unpredictably.

However, I can't help but see Moon's way of life as deeply flawed. It leads me to believe that her propaganda of spontaneity and immortality is really only a cover up for her fear of that stability that Lou's life offers. While I don't truly believe that she would feel at home with Lou and his hen house, I don't think that all her obsessive traveling is necessary either.

If she were able to recognize her fear of death and permanence, I think that perhaps a life with Lou could be conceivable.