SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

Group Trilogy Discussions > Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb - August 2014 (no spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael This is the thread for the second book of our read of the Farseer Trilogy - Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb.

As before, let's keep this thread spoiler-free. Based on last month, rather than setting up a specific spoiler thread for this book, I propose using the trilogy spoiler thread - I think it's would get too unwieldy otherwise.

I'm about 10% of the way through this and I'm enjoying it so far. I just got back from vacation and I'm horribly jet lagged so sleep may take precedence over reading for the next day or two...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I've just started Royal Assassin this evening and I'm immediately struck by a question:

Fitz' voice is different at the beginning of this book than in the first book even though little time overall has passed between books. Is this simply the voice of a tired, injured young man who's had his first setback? Or is it something else?

message 3: by David (new)

David (waelse1) Have to say I'm greatly enjoying the book about 20% in. Hobb is a great storyteller, there's something propulsive about her writing. I'll have to tackle more of her books afterward reading this trilogy.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Geoffrey, I agree with you. There's quite a change in Fitz's voice (and attitude) between the books. So far I'm writing it off as a lot of growing up in a short time, but I'm open to the idea that there's more to it.

message 5: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (mcbsmith) I'm late getting started on this one (new job plus trying to finish another book) but I'm interested in how his voice has changed. (Insert puberty joke here.)

The blurb on the book's page for my library's digital checkout describes him as "battered and bitter," so I guess that's consistent with the change?

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael I'm about 40% of the way through now and really starting to enjoy this. I felt like it was a slightly slow start - almost a hangover from the first book but now the story is really up and flying.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

That's a good description, Michael, 'a hangover'. Hobb spends quite a bit of time setting things up and moving people around without it feeling like the story is advancing .... but it's enjoyable to read as she does all this.

She's a great story teller. Most of the time when an author seems to wander, I find myself frustrated or even bored if a story doesn't advance. But in this case, I'm pretty fine with it; the wandering about is interesting.

message 8: by David (new)

David (waelse1) Finished. Really good, lots of snappy dialogue and character growth. First book is slightly better since you get the origin story but an excellent continuation of the story. Look forward to book 3!

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael I'm actually enjoying this more than the first one. Not that it was a bad book (far from it), but I am developing a little bit of coming-of-age-tale fatigue with the fantasy genre in general.

Now that Fitz is becoming a (young) man as opposed to a boy I think that Hobb is able to get more deeply dug into the world and his story, and doesn't have to worry about hitting some of the milestones inherent in an "apprenticeship" story.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I can agree with you, Michael. Fantasy has always had a subset of these coming-of-age novels of the boy who comes into his own and saves the world and it can be fun and also fatiguing as well.

I'm stuck at 40% in this book - I got sidetracked by a group of other books - but this one is much less of that and more of a young man's concerns. Not exactly sure where this one is going yet, but something pretty big is being set it, I'm certain.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael I've finished this now (wow, it's longer than the first book...).

I thought it was good. It went in a very different direction to my expectations, but I enjoyed it.

Will head over to the spoiler thread later today.

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 21 comments I'm hoping to start this book tomorrow. Yes, pretty late but things are that way. Michael, the 3rd book is longer STILL than this one. :) Plan ahead!

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Eeek! That's tomorrow's reading sorted...

message 14: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 75 comments I found Fitz growing in self awareness and world awareness through the trilogy. He sees more politicking and warmongering, especially in the last book. If he chooses to put himself forward he realises that he will be a tool.

What I really liked about the first book was Fitz sharing identities with a hound, and although it recurs I would have preferred to see more of this feature.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 21 comments Almost done! I have about 5 hours left. I like this book better than the first, but arrgggh... Regal... you...

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 21 comments Finished. More unanswered questions. Someone needs to do something evil to Regal. soon. Moving on to the next book tomorrow.

message 17: by Maron (new)

Maron Anrow (maronanrow) Geoffrey, I also immediately noticed that Fitz's voice was different. In fact, he barely spoke at all in the first book (something that was remarked upon by other characters, although I can't remember if it was at the end of Book 1 or early in this one). I think he began speaking more when he traveled to Jhaampe at the end of Book 1. I found the transition a little abrupt, but I enjoyed it all the same.

This isn't a plot spoiler, but I have to say that one of my all-time favorite reading moments ever occurred when I read this book. When Fitz is whirled from one frustrating interaction to the next, all culminating in the Fool mooning him... Oh my gosh! I was laughing and enjoying myself so much. I was feeling everything Fitz was feeling, and I knew that this series would be one of my favorites forever. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Royal Assassin (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robin Hobb (other topics)