ENC Press Books discussion

$everance: Bad work situations and dumb-ass media

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ENC (new)

ENC Press (enc_press) | 21 comments Mod
Do you hate your job? Yeah? How about the current state of the media? Do you like that? ($everance)

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather Yes, to both!

Well, it's not that I hate my job so much as I hate what I'm doing at the moment to make my ends meet. The current state of the media today--the selling out of producing news and instead producing "entertainment"--doesn't help either.

I liked "$everance" though; beyond making me laugh, it got me to listen more to what I was hearing and seeing. It gets crazy when you start piecing together what firm owns what newspaper owns what radio station owns what TV channel... and so on. Unbiased news, my foot!

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennymay12) | 2 comments Doesn't everyone?

it's not so much that i actually hate my job: i hate the office politics, i hate the things we have to do to get and stay ahead. these days, that's easier said than done.

but i agree with heather: $everance definitely opened my eyes to the things that happen behind closed doors in the media world. the information we receieve is so controlled and filtered that's it's hard to know what's true anymore.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Heather and Jennifer's thoughts about the media. For me, $everance spotlighted the egregiously partisan "news" that seems to be running rampant today. Every show hinges on ratings rather than journalistic integrity. It's hard to ingest anything without a generous dosing of salt.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather Exactly. I know we're not there yet, but I'm beginning to feel like we're getting close to the point where we won't be able to trust anything we are told by the media and then what will we do?

message 6: by ENC (new)

ENC Press (enc_press) | 21 comments Mod
We will compare coverage from several sources, adjust for partisan bias, and piece together our own picture on issues that particularly interest us - naturally, with our own biases :)

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather All leading toward an end result of no one having the "complete" picture, just a fraction. It's going to be a glorious media world.