UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Author Zone - Readers Welcome! > UK Authors-Do you Promote in UK or U.S.A?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by R.P. (new)

R.P. Dahlke (rpdahlke) | 1 comments I'm not only a mystery writer but I promote authors of mystery/suspense/thrillers. I get a LOT of UK and EU authors entering their books at DIRT CHEAP MYSTERY READS, and just for the heck of it, I've been asking them where they promote their books. So far, all of them have said the U.S. has the best promotion sites. If you're a UK author, where do you chose to promote your books? If you promote with a UK site and you think it's great, tell us about it? Add a link too please?

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments Promote? What is this dark art of which you speak?

message 3: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments With mine it is more like relegation than promotion.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21932 comments Yep, the cost/benefit analysis shows that my budget is probably not going to run to splashing out on the whole of a sherbet flying saucer.

message 5: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments You mean, TELL people you've written a book? Whatever next! What happened to the joy of discovery?

message 6: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Dunno - I haven't discovered it.

After an exhaustive test of several online advertisers, I conclude that they fall into two camps:

Camp 1: The "big boys". These claim billions of followers, but refuse to take your advertising and so can be discounted as useless.

Camp 2: The "small fry". These take your money and produce an ad which no one sees, which results in them getting your money and you not selling any books. They can therefore be discounted as useless.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21932 comments I think you've just about summed it up.
In fact I suspect that the reason the big boys won't take your money is that, actually, they're useless and can only successfully promote big names who're pretty much self promoting anyway :-)

message 8: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Well, yeah. Like the traditional publisher who only promote the big names that would probably sell anyway without the promotion.

There is probably a law of advertising somewhere that states that when you are big and well-known enough to afford advertising you don't need to advertise because you are already big and well-known enough.

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments David wrote: "There is probably a law of advertising somewhere that states that when you are big and well-known enough to afford advertising you don't need to advertise because you are already big and well-known enough...."

If only that were true, then we wouldn't be exposed to those saccharin iphone "family" ads.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21932 comments I suspect that is one of the laws that the advertising industry tries to hush up!

message 11: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Jim wrote: "I suspect that is one of the laws that the advertising industry tries to hush up!"

There is the famous line about advertising that states that everyone knows that only 50% of advertising ever works, but no-one knows which 50% that is.

message 12: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments David wrote: "Jim wrote: "I suspect that is one of the laws that the advertising industry tries to hush up!"

There is the famous line about advertising that states that everyone knows that only 50% of advertisi..."

There's another rule that an ad is only effective after the reader has seen it 7 times.

message 13: by David (last edited Aug 03, 2014 03:06AM) (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Pete wrote: "David wrote: "There's another rule that an ad is only effective after the reader has seen it 7 times."

Yes. I've heard that as well, so here goes:

(Buy my book!) * 7.

I'll give it half an hour then go and check my sales figures.

message 14: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments David wrote: "Pete wrote: "David wrote: "There's another rule that an ad is only effective after the reader has seen it 7 times."

Yes. I've heard that as well, so here goes:

(Buy my book!) * 7.

I'll give it half an hour then go and check my sales figures."

Did it work?

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments One thing's for certain, I'm glad I joined this UK group where laughs galore compensate for sales ungalore. Not heard of that word? Bet some of us know the feeling though.

R.P. - A good site is Indie Book Bargains which is well run and promotes books in a classy manner. The daily email probably has a higher proportion of 'reads' than 'deletes' than most other sites.

Are you thinking of setting up a U.K. site? I'm not asking for myself as I write in a different genre.

message 16: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Pete wrote: "David wrote: "

(Buy my book!) * 7.

Did it work? "

Not entirely.

No-one bought a book, but I'm now getting ignored by a better class of person.

message 17: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Maybe your potential market is so discerning that they require at least nine views of an advertisement before being lured into a purchase.

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 185 comments I also have given up on marketing. Occasionally I'll update my book threads on here with new reviews, but apart from that I've stopped paying money for advertising - it doesn't work. Like Tim said, go for the big guns but don't lose too much hope when they repeatedly reject you.

message 19: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Today I have been ignored by the entirety of Amazon's customer base.

I'm gonna celebrate with pizza (but only a cheap one)!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I had pizza hut pizza with chips. And brownies and ice cream.

message 21: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Gingerlily - Elephant Philosopher wrote: "I had pizza hut pizza with chips. And brownies and ice cream."

It's my dream, one day to be that rich!

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments Tim wrote: "Today I have been ignored by the entirety of Amazon's customer base."

They don't have customers on a Monday, Tim. Trust me, I know these things.

message 23: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Thursday's not a good day for sales.

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21932 comments Tim wrote: "Today I have been ignored by the entirety of Amazon's customer base.

I'm gonna celebrate with pizza (but only a cheap one)!"

If it helps they were ignoring me as well. But they're really good at ignoring me, they've been practicing for a long time.

message 25: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Anna wrote: "Tim wrote: "Today I have been ignored by the entirety of Amazon's customer base."

They don't have customers on a Monday, Tim. Trust me, I know these things."

So you're saying there was no one there to ignore me? Now I feel cheated!
;)

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments It's nearly Tuesday, Tim, and the whole of Kent will log in to buy their local authors' work and tomorrow we shall have jam on our brownie.

Oh, sorry, it's late and I dropped off and I've been dreaming.

message 27: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Today we have to make do with the reduced single-topping micro-pizza. (aka bean on toast)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Bean? Just the one?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Its a has-bean

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments He has bean.

message 32: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Yeah. They have to last...

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Want half a bacon less pizza, Tim?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments He has a metal fork??

Posh!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments It was a 21st birthday present.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Did it come with a handle?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Fork handles?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Well done David.

message 41: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments It's plastic - only looks like metal!

message 42: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments I sell a few books in the UK anyway, because I live here and my friends buy them, which kicks off the whole "also bought" links on Amazon, and a fair bit of word of mouth. So I don't really bother promoting in the UK.

I've started promoting to the US, and had some success with a Fiverr marketing campaign back in May. I have a few promotions lined up for the tail end of August and into September.

I have sold 252 books in two and a half years of self-publishing, however, so I don't expect anyone to read anything into my experiences.

message 43: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1707 comments What's happened to RP, the person who started this thread?

Have we driven her away?

It's great living in England - where else do you find two silly Ronnies? Tea break laughter: Tim's bean on toast (sorry Tim) and all the rest of it too.

Must get on with some work!

message 44: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments RP's an American writer, so I guess she's probably asleep :)

I do like living in England, but at some point I need to sell a few hundred thousand books so I can go and live in France instead.

message 45: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments Andrew wrote: "RP's an American writer, so I guess she's probably asleep :)"

American authors sleep for a week? And I thought my seven hours a night was excessive.

message 46: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments Oh yes, I keep forgetting we're in August now... well, maybe she needed some kip.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments We really should put Rosen's link in here.

http://www.indie-book-bargains.co.uk/

She's got an excellent site.

message 48: by Echo (new)

Echo (echo_fox) | 16 comments I agree that there isn't much point in paid promotions to get the word out, I think it mostly comes from just being active in a community of potential readers.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments You've got it sussed Echo. :)

message 50: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21932 comments I think if you write thrillers or romance then the rules might be different, but other than that I agree entirely with Echo (and the writers of thrillers and romance will still benefit from being part of the community)

« previous 1 3