a true crime book club. discussion

2018 Book Club Books > ENDLESS NIGHT

Comments Showing 1-50 of 112 (112 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Mel (new)

Mel (gingergonzoreads) | 652 comments Mod
I know we are all just starting this book today but, let’s hear your thoughts! Do you dare read it at night?! Mwahahahahaha

message 2: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Klopfenstein | 16 comments I’m only 100 pages in but I’m not finding it to be very scary. Then again, I’ve watched and read a lot of disturbing stuff so it takes a lot to really scare me.

Emmie.Reads.Books | 95 comments I didn't find it scary whatsoever, just too gory/violent for me. However, my mom is reading it now and isn't nearly as bothered by it and is enjoying it.

message 4: by Mel (new)

I’m only at page 12 and it’s not scary yet but we’ll see.

message 5: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Klopfenstein | 16 comments The gore and the violence doesn’t really bother me. But, one of my favorite books is American Psycho so I don’t think that is ever going to bother me.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) The only part of American Psycho that bothers me is the violence against the homeless man and his dog. I had to skip over that part once I realized what was happening.

I'm hoping there's no violence against animals in this because my heart can't take it.

message 7: by Mel (new)

I’ve only seen the American Psycho movie and I loved it. Been a really long time, though

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) Now I've just started this and can't put it down.

I usually only read 20 pages at a time then the adhd kicks in.

I'm somehow already at page 43, and I gotta keep going. It sure started off with a bang. I hope the pace stays like this!

message 9: by Mel (new)

I agree. I’m already on the edge of my seat and loving it!

message 10: by Eva (new)

Eva Mato | 9 comments I'm almost at the end and I'm loving it! It's too soon to comment so I'll keep my mouth shot. I didn't know this author, but definitely will search for more of his books.

LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone | 30 comments I started this around 6 am as I went to lie down and get ready to fall asleep and so far I am enjoying it. I didn't super far yet but I am enjoying it a lot thus far.

message 12: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (bookasaurustonya) Megan wrote: "Is anyone reading the Kindle version of this? I got it because it was only 99¢, but I'm two pages in and there are already two obvious typos ("histhonics" instead of "histrionics" and "anned" inste..."

Yes! I'm almost 100 pages in and the typos are everywhere. Really enjoying the story so far though.

message 13: by Mel (new)

I’ve been so into the story that I’ve missed the typos! Haha!

message 14: by Ana (new)

Ana (alacazarre) I started reading it today, I've just finished part one and had to stop because it's late and I start to hear noises outside and I just can't, lol. Btw, it's my first time reading a pick from the book club! So excited :)

LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone | 30 comments I am halfway through this book and though I really am enjoying the idea of the story and the Jody parts are great as she is a real bad ass. I do not care for the Simon parts. I have read a lot of horror and gore and I love horror films but there is something about Simon's parts that make me uncomfortable.

I noticed some of the typos as well!

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) I noticed I'm fine reading this alone at night.

Unlike 'I'll Be Gone in the Dark'.

I guess because this is fiction.

I'm quite enjoying the gore and the Simon parts. But maybe I'm just a sicko.

Silence of the Lambs is one of my favorite movies of life. Some of the "clothing" shennanigans going on here are similar. And Simon even name-dropped Hannibal Lecter at one point. <3

message 17: by Mel (new)

Oh man. I’m only on page 48 so none of that has occurred for me yet but I’m excited. Silence of the Lambs is one of my faves, too!

message 18: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (52gatos) | 73 comments Im also on the edge of my seat with this one!!

message 19: by Mel (new)

Okay, now I can’t stop seeing typos.

message 20: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (52gatos) | 73 comments Typos and fragmented sentences!

message 21: by Mel (new)

Soooo many of them. Glad I only paid $.99

message 22: by Mel (new)

I am recovering from having my tooth pulled yesterday so between naps and meds, I’ve been reading. As much as I hate to miss work, it’s been glorious!

LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone | 30 comments Well, I finished it this morning and I could only give it 3 Stars. I wanted to like it way more than I did. The reason I gave it 3 stars is because I only liked the Jody parts so that was half the book that I didn't like and I kind of hated the end. I won't say why as I do not want to spoil this for people. The funny thing is that horror/thrillers are right up my alley but this one just didn't do it for me. No, it was not the gore, there was just something lacking in Simon's parts of the book for me.

message 24: by Mel (new)

The different perspectives are making it interesting but a lot less scary, which is kind of a bummer.

LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone | 30 comments Mel wrote: "The different perspectives are making it interesting but a lot less scary, which is kind of a bummer."
Yeah I think if we only had Jody's perspective then there would have been much more suspense. It would be more fun to be in the dark just like Jody is. Then we would have no idea what was coming at all.

Emmie.Reads.Books | 95 comments LittleDeadRedGoddess wrote: "Mel wrote: "The different perspectives are making it interesting but a lot less scary, which is kind of a bummer."
Yeah I think if we only had Jody's perspective then there would have been much mo..."

Yeah, I think this is why I didn't like the novel at all. The beginning started off great but Simon's parts were just wayyy to much for me. It seemed like they were just thrown in there for the gore factor, which was just there for no reason other than what it was. It just seemed to me that there was no motivation for him really.

message 27: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (bookasaurustonya) I'm only half way through, but I'm not enjoying Simon's parts either. He does horrible things but he doesn't seem.....sinister enough. I know he's young but he just seems so childish. I need him to man up and scare the shit out of me lol.

message 28: by Peter (new)

Peter Monn | 23 comments Mod
I’m only about a fourth of the way through but it doesn’t seem as scary to me as the last time I read it. On the heels of I’ll Be Gone in the Dark it doesn’t compare. Hope some of you like it as I feel I may have picked a dud this time. Sorry you guys!

message 29: by Michelle (last edited Jun 13, 2018 11:24PM) (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) I really like it. I don't think it's a dud.

I can't put it down.

Mine's a physical book though. So no obnoxious typos.

Maybe I'm the only one who actually prefers the Simon parts. More action. And I like gore for the sake of gore. And he's kind of hilarious, thinking everyone is hot for him when they're probably just looking at him like he's a spazz..

Jody's parts kind of drag toward the end. I get kind of mad when we're interrupted with her, and the story slows down. Like two whole chapters about target practice...really? Let's get on with it already.

It's still a good book. I'm going to read more Laymon in the future. I'm grateful you introduced me to him, Peter.

message 30: by Mel (new)

I don’t think it’s a dud at all. Just the typos are distracting. Haha.

message 31: by Ana (new)

Ana (alacazarre) I don't think it's a dud, I'm not enjoying Simon's parts as much, but overall I like it! I love horror movies, and the book reads like one (in my opinion). I also am reading a physical copy, so no typos

message 32: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments Just got to Part 3. The beginning felt kind of campy to me but Part 1 in general was pretty engaging, though some of the dialogue seemed so unrealistic. We're going to stand here and chat for what seems like minutes? Hmmm.

Part 2 from one of the men's POV was very unsettling. Not sure if quite as much info from him was necessary at times but I'll judge once I'm finished. Glad to be off his POV though.

Not going to read any previous comments until I finish in case of spoilers but just wanted to give my thoughts. So far it's unsettling but not really scary. I'm engaged in it, though, and intrigued to see if the main character gets through it.

message 33: by Mel (new)

I’m still on part 2 so there really haven’t been any spoilers. Don’t worry!

message 34: by Michelle (last edited Jun 14, 2018 02:49PM) (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) I just finished it.

Loved the ending.

Laymon was a sick bastard. <3 I'm obsessed. I have to collect more of his books now.

Seriously NOT a dud of a book, Peter.

I was almost gonna sit this one out too. So glad I didn't.

I read that Laymon isn't really popular in The States. Hard to believe!

message 35: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brittany-brown) | 16 comments I’m late on starting this one (just started a few hours ago, and also late in joining the book club in general) and I think I’ve made a mistake starting it on a night that my fiancé is working late lol. Definitely not a dud for me, at least so far. I love that from the very first pages it pulls you in with the horrifying murders and the amount of anxiety I felt for Jody and Andy can’t be healthy.

I stopped to go take a shower while my toddler napped and was low key convinced someone was in the house. I live in fairly rural Kentucky so I should probably stop being so dramatic, ain’t nothin but a horse ever showed up at my house unexpectedly.

message 36: by Mandee (new)

Mandee Lei (mandeelei) Brittany wrote: "I’m late on starting this one (just started a few hours ago, and also late in joining the book club in general) and I think I’ve made a mistake starting it on a night that my fiancé is working late..."

I'm also really enjoying this book. I agree that Simon's POV is not the best. It is pretty disgusting in places, which is what I was expecting. Some of the imagery is almost too much though, like it was for pure shock value. I don't find Simon particularly scary but more the general psychology of that type of person and what they are capable of doing is fully realized and carried out which is unsettling to say the least. Parts that stuck out to me for whatever reason - when Simon is hiding and the spiders are crawling over him and "Simone".

message 37: by Mel (new)

Brittany wrote: "I’m late on starting this one (just started a few hours ago, and also late in joining the book club in general) and I think I’ve made a mistake starting it on a night that my fiancé is working late..."

Welcome to the book club!!!!

message 38: by Mel (new)

Mandee wrote: "Brittany wrote: "I’m late on starting this one (just started a few hours ago, and also late in joining the book club in general) and I think I’ve made a mistake starting it on a night that my fianc..."

To me, Simon feels like a weak-minded cult member or something. He's not scary, just kind of disgusting.

Emmie.Reads.Books | 95 comments Mel wrote: "Mandee wrote: "Brittany wrote: "I’m late on starting this one (just started a few hours ago, and also late in joining the book club in general) and I think I’ve made a mistake starting it on a nigh..."

I think that is why I really disliked the book. It seemed like the author never read into any criminal psychology let alone killer interviews. It seemed like he just wrote Simon in the most disgusting way he could possibly think of. Scary to me is when that person has a thought process or motivation (because they are people).

message 40: by Mel (new)

Emily wrote: "Mel wrote: "Mandee wrote: "Brittany wrote: "I’m late on starting this one (just started a few hours ago, and also late in joining the book club in general) and I think I’ve made a mistake starting ..."

I soooooooooooo agree. Im kind of interested in the ending though because of Michelle's comment.

message 41: by Emmie.Reads.Books (last edited Jun 15, 2018 04:09PM) (new)

Emmie.Reads.Books | 95 comments Mel, my response to the ending was as follows: *throws book into the trash* lol

message 42: by M. (new)

M. (chellatrix) | 32 comments I bought a copy of this from Thriftbooks, and now I can't find the forkin' thing!

message 43: by Michelle (last edited Jun 15, 2018 06:27PM) (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) Well I'm dying to talk about why I liked the ending when everyone's done reading.

One of my reasons probably makes me a complete petty bitch though. I probably should never talk about it out loud. (I probably will though.)

message 44: by Sarah Marie (new)

Sarah Marie | 14 comments I'm about 80 pages in and I wouldn't say that I'm liking this, but I'm not hating it.

LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone | 30 comments Emily wrote: "Mel, my response to the ending was as follows: *throws book into the trash* lol"

That was exactly my reaction! If it were not a kindle the book would have been tossed across the room. Like I said, I loved the Jody parts until the end but man I hated that ending!

message 46: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (bookasaurustonya) I just finished it. This story had a lot of potential and I think if Simon would have had a better tone I would have loved it. He was a scary guy, but his actions and "voice" just didn't match up for me. As for the ending, I'm kind of okay with it. Some of it was a stretch, but overall I'm satisfied. (view spoiler)

message 47: by Mel (new)

Well, good thing I am not doing anything but recovering all weekend so I’m hoping to finish this weekend. I am preparing to be irritated. Hahahahaha.

message 48: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Mcneal | 22 comments I’m going to finish this book. But I’m having such a hard time hanging in there. I don’t feel invested with this book of characters. Which is a truly odd statement since you know (scary, blood, gore) I should care. I’m just struggling with the dialogue.

And this is why book groups are great. Some of you love it some of you don’t and it allows me a chance to see this book in different eyes.

message 49: by Angel (new)

Angel Eisnaugle _thebookangel_ | 8 comments I couldn’t put it down because I wanted to know what happened but I was just meh with it. It didn’t really scare me. The writing was not great. It had the potential to be so much better though. Peter it definitely wasn’t a dud. I’m glad we read it. But I don’t see myself reading any more Laymon in the future. I gave it 3 stars.

message 50: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brittany-brown) | 16 comments I’ve gotten about 25% of the way through since lastnight, which is pretty quick for me considering I have a wild toddler running around/I struggle to stay conscious after 9pm. I was just thinking to myself “wow, this a nice quick read” and wondered what it meant about me that reading about dudes keeping guts in a jar and rubbing themselves down with it was light reading. Luckily you all seem to be in agreement so I’ll hold off on the therapist call.

« previous 1 3