College Students! discussion

Reading Goals/ Challenges > Fall/Winter 2014-2015 Challenge Task Ideas

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
The Fall/Winter Challenge will begin September 1st 2014 and end March 31st 2015 It is time to get ideas for challenge tasks. Post your ideas for one or two books tasks and let us know which of the other ideas you really like.

For inspiration, feel free to look through past challenges to see what has been done, or look at challenges from other groups. Thanks for the ideas!

message 2: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Hutchinson (kaylahutchinson) September is National Library Card Month. Maybe use a library card to get a book and read, or a book with the word "library" or "card" in the title.

Daylight Savings: Maybe have a book with a clock on the cover or has "Time" in the title.

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison | 179 comments We did a task awhile back where we had to read two books that had the same word in the title.

message 4: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Hutchinson (kaylahutchinson) Maybe for Halloween reading something with something popular culture deems unlucky on Halloween pictured on the cover (i.e., black cat, broken mirror, etc.). That may be stretching too far though.

message 5: by Allison (new)

Allison | 179 comments I looked through an old challenge and a couple of old tasks looked fun:

Proud of Your Name: Read two books: Each title must start with one of your initials. I was going to limit this to first and last names, but some of us may have difficulties with that, so if you have middle, maiden, whatever names, take your initials, and choose some books. May drop A or The at the beginning of the title in you need to.

Family Influences: Read a book written by an author that shares a first or last name to either of your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins or siblings.

Winter Vacations: Read a book that is about your Dream Vacation to be taken in the winter. Mine, since I hate cold and winter, would be a book about going somewhere tropical for a warm vacation during the cold months. Others, that enjoy that white death that falls from the sky, can read about skiing, or sledding, or even just a trip to somewhere cold.

message 6: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (pikakejazz) I love those school-themed challenges (for people like me who are no longer in school but kind of miss it every fall)! Maybe we could do something that is based on school subjects (math/science/foreign language/PE/art/music) rather than items/letters/etc.

For example, something like this??:
School Subject-Foreign Language: read a book in a foreign language you have studied in school, a book by an author not writing in his/her native tongue, or a book that is about someone learning a foreign language.

(I've been really wanting to re-read some of my favorite books in another language.)

message 7: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (pikakejazz) I also like the interactive tasks (like Bethany's task for this season's challenge). Maybe we can do something similar where you list three books (something on your to-read shelf, currently reading shelf, and read shelf, maybe??) and then the next person picks one for themself to read. (That way the last person isn't waiting a month for the next person to pick their read for them.)

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments Time of giving: send in a title of a book that you would give as a gift. Then others can pick a book from this list of books to read.

These are a few of my favorite things: I don't know why this is considered a Christmas song, but pick a book that has an item listed in the song that is either a word in the title or is pictured on the cover. Ie. brown paper packages, whiskers on kittens, girls in white dresses...

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan Avoid winter weight, read a book about fitness or a sport.

Angels & Demons: Read a book about a angel & read a book about the devil/demons (2 book task) -in honor of Christmas and Halloween

Imagination is the key... Read a book about a child's dream(s), imagination, or creativity.

message 10: by Beks (new)

Beks (bekster15) Going along with the vacation idea, a book that takes place in a country you have always wanted to visit but haven't made it there yet.

Or break the procrastination, read the book that has been on your to read list the longest.

message 11: by Ema Fortunova (new)

Ema Fortunova (emaf) There are some major dates that could serve as challenges:

For instance, one that seems very important to me is World Mental Health Day (which is on Friday, October 10 this year) as it raises awareness of mental health issues...

The month of October is also recognized as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month... therefore could certainly provide some very touching reads.

And in February we have Black History month

December 1 - World Aids Day

etc...

But there are also great holidays, like Halloween, Christmas, New Years

Anything related to an interesting/important date would be lovely to have as a challenge!

Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com (miss_jana) | 125 comments I really like the library card task Kayla mentioned.

How about:

Tidings of Comfort and Joy: Revisit an old favorite of yours, which you would consider to be a "comfort" book.

The grass is always greener: Read a book that takes place during/is about the season opposite to the one you're experiencing. If it's winter where you are, read a summery book. If it's summer where you are, read a wintry book, etc.

Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com (miss_jana) | 125 comments This is Halloween: Read a book whose letters spell out, when rearranged, a word synonymous with Halloween. Or, read a book with a Halloweeny word in the title (ghost, dead, cat, bat, orange, black, etc.)

message 14: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3 comments I like Jasmines idea sounds fun

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3 comments I mean the idea of listing 3 books and then the next person picking one of those books to read.

message 16: by Laventeli (new)

Laventeli I seem to think this whole thing based on holidays. Halloween is also coined with dead people so how about reading book from a dead person or about dead person?

Also Valentines day is on February so something romantic would fit there.

For Saint Patric's day (March 17) something green on cover perhaps. Or containing fair folk(this would be harder to find)

Time of giving is great idea for a task.Interactivity was fun. Can we have something else where we use dices to decide type of genre/subject to read?

Also Black history month is definitely something to add to tasks.
Not much a fan of spelling challenges.