Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Will Kindle Unlimited help authors make money?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R.P. (last edited Aug 02, 2014 11:25AM) (new)

R.P. Dahlke (rpdahlke) | 16 comments If you're in KDP Select, you're already signed up for the new Kindle Unlimited, in which case, you may already be seeing a lot more downloads in your KU/KOLL column. I know I am!
Yes, this is Amazon scooping Oyster and Scribd and any other subscription site, but it's also giving authors another incentive to stay with Amazon.
It also makes me think that Amazon may have finally found a way around the "free" ebook giveaways. I don't have a crystal ball on this, but look at how this deal vastly improves your options.

For Readers: A subscription deal @ $10.00 a month and they can download as many books as are listed in the program. Hundreds of thousands of books!

For Authors: You get to share in the pool like KOLL for prime members--which has been running about $2.00-$2.40 each book. How cool is that? What does that mean to you? It means that readers can chose the retail price and the Kindle Unlimited price. Gee, lemme think. FREE or full retail?

Note: I will be interested in seeing how the FREE Kindle Unlimited will affect ranking.

I'm already tweeting this for my books adding #KindleU or #KindleUnlimited with #FREE on it. Here's a sample:
#asmsg #mystery, #FREE ON #KINDLEUNLIMITED 20yr old secrets threaten this flying family in A DEAD RED CADILLAC, http://amzn.to/x5qSDD

So how does this change your strategy for marketing? Marketing your books is STILL going to be important, but now we have an option to NOT do FREE giveaway books on Amazon.
Note: Giveaways can be done on Blog hops, Library Thing, GoodReads, etc. I'll be doing more of these!

Starting August 1, 2014, the author form at DIRT CHEAP MYSTERY READS will look a bit different:

1) I will still accept Kindle FREE, and Kindle countdown, and regular priced books up to $2.99.

2) I will now accept retail prices OVER $2.99 ($3.99-$5.99) as long as your book is in Kindle Unlimited. *there will be a box for this, and "FREE on Kindle Unlimited " will now be part of the promotion

**Talk about an incentive to readers! Buy the book for $5.99 or get it for free anytime.

Yes, there are naysayers for this new program, but not from this author/promoter!
I'm going to be advertising my books now more than ever, and I don't have to advertise them at FREE or even 99cents!

Mystery/Suspense/Thriller writers--Dirt Cheap Mystery Reads.

Author information page: http://www.allmysteryenewsletter.com/...

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) If it pans out for you, let us know. I may be tempted to give up my wildly unsuccessful expansion into other marketplaces and go back to KDP Select.

message 3: by R.P. (new)

R.P. Dahlke (rpdahlke) | 16 comments HI Ken, well, this is my opinion only, but Amazon alternately annoys and pleases most of us. I too have been on Kobo, B&N, etc, but no one has helped me sell books like Amazon.

I have a pdf version of JUMP START YOUR BOOK PROMOTIONS, if you'd like to have it, just e-mail me:rp@rpdahlke.com and put JUMP START in the subject line. Yes, it's for sale on Amazon, but I also give these away to anyone who asks, and even to folks who I think my benefit from the info.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (Workaday Reads) (wrkreads) Saying that you get full royalty on books in Kindle Unlimited is misleading.

Your royalty is not based on book price. It's based on a percentages.
Amazon has a pool of funds which is established at the start of each month. It takes the total amount of the pool divided by the number of "borrows" (number of books with more than 10% read) to calculate a unit price. This unit price is then multiplied by the number of times an author’s books are borrowed.

Using lending library history, the per unit price has been about $2 (sometimes a bit more, other times a bit less).

sources:
http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2014/...
http://mixtusmedia.com/blog/what-auth...

message 5: by Josh (new)

Josh Mitchell (wickid_pissa) | 14 comments I'm banking on it. I'm so poor I can't pay attention.

The Dude Who Did Dictionaries

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 217 comments You must be the same Josh who spammed my inbox about that book.

What were you actually hoping to achieve?

message 7: by R.P. (new)

R.P. Dahlke (rpdahlke) | 16 comments Michael wrote: "You must be the same Josh who spammed my inbox about that book.

What were you actually hoping to achieve?"

easy does it, Michael--Josh may have used a couple of different ways to promote his book on GR... which may have led it to look like 'spam'. I'm sure that after a couple of tries, he'll get the hang of it.

message 8: by R.P. (new)

R.P. Dahlke (rpdahlke) | 16 comments Sarah wrote: "Saying that you get full royalty on books in Kindle Unlimited is misleading.

Your royalty is not based on book price. It's based on a percentages.
Amazon has a pool of funds which is established..."

mea culpa! I completely misread the info! Please see the corrections below:

For Authors: You get to share in the pool like KOLL for prime members--which has been running about $2.00-$2.40 each book. How cool is that? What does that mean to you? It means that readers can chose the retail price and the Kindle Unlimited price. Gee, lemme think. FREE or full retail?

message 9: by R.P. (new)

R.P. Dahlke (rpdahlke) | 16 comments Sorry. I'm not a reviewer. LinkedIn and Twitter have a LOT of reviewers!

Bestseller$

message 10: by Micah (last edited Aug 06, 2014 12:13PM) (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) All I know is so far I've seen zero activity from Kindle Unlimited.