ENC Press Books discussion

Life edges closer to imitating JUNK

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ENC (new)

ENC Press (enc_press) | 21 comments Mod
"Fat tax" on junk food? How long before it's prohibited altogether? (Junk)

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather I don't know that we'll ever see junk food prohibited altogether, although I do think we're going to see some serious tax and price hikes in the future. I hear mumbles about soda taxes; part of me wants to ignore it--because I don't drink the stuff--but the other part of me stars worrying because what happens when they hike up the cost of my Cheetos? (I love Cheetos and I don't think that a small snack bag once every few months is going to hurt me. Honestly, I don't think a small snack bag once a day would hurt me either.)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Heather in thinking that junk food prohibition is fairly distant. I'm more likely to agree with the Candy Man's assertion that lobbyists will succeed. Whether that manifests in soda taxes or higher health insurance premiums is beyond me, but I doubt we'll be joining Japan in setting a national waistline (http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/ja...) any time soon.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather Oh, yes, I can just see them trying to pass that law now. I'm willing to be there would be riots in the streets if that happened.

message 5: by ENC (new)

Well, note that the only personal consequence of failing to meet the maximum waistline is mandatory counseling. But the companies' insurance premiums go up, which means it becomes the employer's job and incentive to pressure the employees into leading healthier lifestyles. Now, we've already had cases in the U.S. where smokers had been fired from their jobs for smoking in the privacy of their own homes, and courts upheld some of those, because 20 states out of 50 allow employers to fire anyone as long as they don't discriminate for age, gender, race, or disabilities. (http://abcnews.go.com/2020/GiveMeABre...) So - how far do you think we are from losing jobs because our butts may be an inch too big? And how far do you think this mandate can go if the government becomes a health-care provider?

message 6: by Lenore (new)

Lenore | 6 comments It's the Obamian way.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather Oh, well, as long as the only personal consequence is mandatory counseling...

Seriously, the government, and big business, is getting way to involved in my personal life. And I know it's just going to get worse as more people don't care or react.

message 8: by Lenore (new)

Lenore | 6 comments I personally am sort of a healthy food-nut. However, I would generally take fast food trash over what they serve the kids in public school cafeterias.

message 9: by ENC (new)

What do they serve the kids in public school cafeterias that's worse than fast-food trash?

message 10: by Dáithí's (new)

Dáithí's (payattentiontotheshadows) Heather wrote: "Oh, well, as long as the only personal consequence is mandatory counseling...

Seriously, the government, and big business, is getting way to involved in my personal life. And I know it's just goin..."

Will there be enough room on the couch for our apes along with us? (quasi-inside joke) Heather, maybe we can double date for therapy just to keep it interesting and the government will blacklist us and leave us alone.

On a serious note, I fully agree with you. Sadly, their are too many apathetic folks who will not take a breath without the government leading them or giving them a handout or a reason not to be personally responsible for their actions. Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day...teach a man to fish, he will miss three of the lessons, whine that he is cold, and have a note from his HMO that he is alergic to water.....

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather @Pastor Christopher: Sadly, no, the apes are going to have to have their own couch. There will not be enough room for them, you, and me...not after I start upping my junk food consumption.

@Lenora: Are you talking about this article? http://www.usatoday.com/news/educatio...
Scary. And sad.

message 12: by ENC (new)

What do you all think of this: http://wcbstv.com/health/anti.obesity... Obnoxious? Overreaching? Not entirely unreasonable? Fair enough?

message 13: by Dáithí's (new)

Dáithí's (payattentiontotheshadows) @ENC: I think this quote from one of their target audience members speaks volumes..."I drink soda and I ain't drinkin' it anymore," said Brenda Sinclair.

This also comes from the land of the Egg Cream which contains no eggs, nor cream. And when the NYC Health Department states that drinking NYC tap water is better for you than sugar laced drinks, bells and whistles go off in my head. This is the same tap water that the rats surf upon as they commute to work. They are bigger than our apes and more frightening in concept.

I will admit that I was a former soda junkie, and went cold turkey except for a few weekly wine collers made with Sprite. I can never bring myself to accept the diet flavouring in the products, even mixed with copious amounts of wine.

If these PSA's can "eddjookate" folks like the aforementioned Ms. Sinclair, then great. I am hopeful that they can get her from being hooked on soda pop to hooked on phonics.

message 14: by Dáithí's (new)

Dáithí's (payattentiontotheshadows) @Heather: My ape has been arguing with me about his diet. He states that since you are upping your junk food intake, he wants to follow suit. Now his idea of junk food is therapists and couches, though I think he is just doing that to avoid the stigma of therapy and the landmines that it could pose for him. He thinks he is so clever...

message 15: by Katy-Del (new)

Katy-Del Heather wrote: "Oh, yes, I can just see them trying to pass that law now. I'm willing to be there would be riots in the streets if that happened."

I think sit ins are far more likely. (snicker)

message 16: by Dáithí's (new)

Dáithí's (payattentiontotheshadows) Katy-Del wrote: "I think sit ins are far more likely. (snicker)"

Touche'....or really any varient of the word tush, including the dental reference to a horse which in a cosmic way could be related to the topic as well, as long as it wasn't a gift and you get caught looking it in the mouth. So much twisted humour..so little time (wink)

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather Katy-Del wrote: "I think sit ins are far more likely. (snicker)"

Can't you see it? The streets clogged with candy wrappers, discarded styrofoam trays, knees and elbows everywhere...

message 18: by Dáithí's (new)

Dáithí's (payattentiontotheshadows) Heather wrote:

Can't you see it? The streets clogged with candy wrappers, discarded styrofoam trays, knees and elbows everywhere..."

It would look like a casting call for Budai (Hotei), sans the chopsticks (wink)

Pastor Chris

message 19: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brittanylewis) This article was on the homepage of the NYTimes this morning.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/11/bus...

I have no issues with people trying to be healthy. I have no issues with restaurants or companies trying to make their food healthier. I DO have a problem with the amount of times I read "the federal government" in this article.

message 20: by ENC (new)

And they are just aping Europe: http://www.spiegel.de/international/e... Although it seems to be as much about finding excuses for new taxes as about forcing people to be healthy...

message 21: by Dáithí's (new)

Dáithí's (payattentiontotheshadows) Brittany wrote: "This article was on the homepage of the NYTimes this morning.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/11/bus...

I have no issues with people trying to be healthy. I have no issues with re..."

Totally agree with you Brittany...

Here is yet another "love letter" to us from our protective and wise federal government about how they care for our health.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/...

I think I'll just have the salad...

message 22: by Katy-Del (new)

Katy-Del Government is not on its way to being Big Brother as much as Big Mother.

message 23: by ENC (new)

Or even Big Grandmother. Big, hovering grandmother... That's why it's called "the Nanny State." :)

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather And to think I had such fond memories of my nanny. It's all ruined now.

message 25: by ENC (new)

Oh sure. Those were the memories she wanted you to have.