The Digital Book Club: Create. Learn. Inspire. discussion

Book Club Discussions > June 2018: Big Magic

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (ratedcee) | 34 comments Mod
Hey everyone!!!

Hopefully you are enjoying some of the reads we have selected thus far!
I will be you moderator for this month! I will be posting some questions and quotes that stick out to me the most throughout the month. Please feel free to do the same!

First question that I always love to get to know about people - what are your passion points?
What quenches your creative juices ? (That was corny lol)

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 6 comments Good morning Courtney 😊

What quenches my creative is when I’m able to quiet my mind by being so focused on the task at hand. When I’m finished I’m so pleased with the outcome. It’s like a ego booster that I am capable of doing whatever I put my mind too.

message 3: by Robbin (new)

Robbin (curlqueenreads) | 11 comments My mind is constantly going a million miles per minute. That's honestly where I get some of my best ideas from! Like when you're trying to focus on one thing but then that reminds you of something else. Ten thoughts later you're wondering how you got there to begin with LOL. As I've gotten older I try to write a lot of my thoughts down just so I remember to revisit them later.

So I guess I would say that mentally stimulating activities tend to get my creative juices flowing.

message 4: by Courtney (new)

I love the thought of just sitting still and being present in the moment with your thoughts to create ideas. Similar to what Elizabeth states, you have to allow time for ideas to come to you versus forcing them because you see others achieving certain goals or creating. Another idea I love that Elizabeth mentions is the idea of knowing when to let a thought/idea go and when to engage.

What I've personally experienced with creative ideas is seeing someone create a platform that I wish I pushed myself harder to create. Whether it's a business or podcast, I've seen my very own ideas be brought to life by someone else... which sucks, but I'm my only self to blame... that's why I pushed myself to get this book club started because it was an idea of mine that I thought deserved my energy to manifest.

"You can measure your worth by your dedication to your path, not by your successes or failures. You can battle your demons (through therapy, recvovery, prayer, or humility) instead of battling your gifts - in part by realizing that your demons were never the ones doing the work, anyhow." PG 41

What are some points made by Elizabeth that interest you the most?

Another point that interest me is the idea of having a healthy balance of fear. How fear can drive our courage to create the ideas that come upon us.

How do you manage your fear when it comes to achieving your goals either short term or long term?

message 5: by Naomie (new)

Naomie | 10 comments I can feel most creative when the atmosphere around me or when a room that I’m in is full of variety. I feel as though I’m inspired by things like artifacts, portraits, sculptures, life, building, and nature etc. Like seeing marvelous work that was done around me - it just pumps me up. Hopefully that makes sense.

I am currently on the Enchantment section of the book. The point I like about the book the most so far is the letter Elizabeth wrote to Fear as her, Fear, and creativity go on a road trip together before every new project. She was courageous to tell fear that it wasn’t even allowed to touch the radio! Fear could be present all it wanted to be, but it wouldn’t make her final decisions. I also love the anecdote she gave about her own battle with fear - being fearful all her life up until the middle of adolescence.

I’m a fearful individual myself. How I’ve accomplished my goals so far is to put deep pressure on myself and let my aniexfg run wild! Not healthy and I even psych myself out. For example when I graduated with my Masters last year - I was so afraid of not passing and I worried myself to the core. But I did pass and in the end I wish I hadn’t put so much pressure on myself.

message 6: by Naomie (new)

Naomie | 10 comments *anxiety

message 7: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 6 comments A few points in the permission section stuck to me.
I love the entitlement piece on page 96, “I’ll tell you who I am: I am a child of god. I am a constituent of the universe. I have invisible spirit benefactors who believe in me, and who labor alongside me. The fact that I am here at all is evidence that I have the right to be here. I have a right to my own voice and my own vision. I have a right to collaborate with creativity, because I myself am a product and consequence of creation.”
That was powerful for me because I’ve been wanting a more “decorated life” but I stop myself because I feel like “who I am to start dabbling in that: fashion, modeling, painting, etc”. That’s where the permission slip piece comes into play. I don’t need anyone’s permission to start dabbling in what interest me now or later. I forgot where I came from; even though my grandmother is a “homemaker” she didn’t wait for anyone’s permission or schooling to build her grandchildren a swimming pool to teach them to swim, etc.

Page 123, Fun House Mirrors, the last paragraph speaking about the reaction doesn’t belong to you is what I needed to hear. Especially the line “they can go make their own fucking art. Then stubbornly continue making yours” so empowering. It’s so many points in the permission section that helped me but those are my favorites.

message 8: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 6 comments I manage my fear by turning it into adrenaline rush. I think I’m becoming a adrenaline junky lol. I also replaced “curiosity killed the cat” with curious George. So when I feel fear coming on I’ll just call myself a curious George, I’m no longer the cat.
When things don’t work out I stopped beating myself up about it and just say “oh well, next” or think about the verse by Aliyah “ dust yourself off and try again”. Replacing the negative thoughts with positive has really helped.

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Hopefuly everyone has enjoyed our June read :)

Brittany -- The "Curious George" word play is genius haha I love it

Naomi -- Interesting, I am inspired by variety as well.. I think that's why I love New York City so much. Also, I agree... you always regret how hard you were on yourself at the end of the road, but in the same breath without that thought love and encouragement to yourself do you think you would've persevered as hard and passionate.

Wrapping up, one portion of the book stuck out to me a lot that I keep thinking about and that is the role education plays in our creative thoughts and goals.

What are some of your thoughts with education and furthering your career? Specifically, how do you feel about grad school? Is it a necessity for you? Let's take it a step further and consider undergraduate as well.