The Gothic Novel Book Club <Hiatus> discussion

Introductions > Getting up and dusting off..

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shainlock (last edited Jun 11, 2018 03:06PM) (new)

Shainlock  | 686 comments Mod
Hello all,
This has been a very difficult time, but this group is still cared about very much and so are Gothic novels and your input. If you are still there, I would like to hear from you because we have lots of members but need to do spring cleaning and figure out who is active on Goodreads. Also, sorry, I got sick to death of the defining a gothic novel thing. That doesn’t mean the two on there can’t still talk amongst themselves or that the topic won’t be brought up again someday. But for now, for me, for my sanity, it had to stop. (Knock it off please!)
This place is for lovers of the Gothic genre in all forms so instead of defining what it is ; let’s get back to wading out into the middle of it.
I have been in communication with the other mod. She sends her best but cannot return now. So, I say let’s get reading again. I’ve read quite a few gothic novels lately.

message 2: by Elvenn (new)

Elvenn Hi Shaina! I joined this group because I love the Gothic genre and I'm always looking for good Gothic novels (or manga) to read. It's not a genre libraries here favor so most of the Gothic books I read I buy after a recommendation or after reading a review, mostly in second hand or online book stores...

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Eminson | 2 comments Hi! I’m Sophie and I joined a while ago without much to contribute. I love the gothic in all its forms. I have recently read The Coffin Path by Catherine Clements which truly fits the genre in my opinion.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hi, I'm still here and still loving gothic!

message 5: by Shainlock (new)

Elvenn: it’s not one my local library favors either I’ve noticed. Unless it’s incredibly subtle. Glad to meet you. :)

message 6: by Shainlock (new)

Sophie: Hi! Oh, that title certainly fits the bill. I’m going to check that out. Pretty soon I hope to get started with reads again and we need new suggestions like that. Good to meet you. And thanks !

message 7: by Shainlock (new)

Kathy:
Good to hear; loud and clear! :)

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1 comments I'm still here.

message 9: by Shainlock (new)

Hi Amber: thank you !!

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmalb) Hello all!
As I'm not an active user but would hate to disappear in the spring cleaning, i thought I might say hello. ;) I don't participate in the group forum but I read it sometimes and mostly use the group to get reading ideas.

message 11: by Shainlock (new)

Hello Emma;
Glad you read and keep up. Do say hello or participate once in a while so we know you are still there? I know you might have cool things to say. And yeah, I get a lot of reading ideas from ppl I have friended or whom shave friended me from this group. It is a good source.

message 12: by Shainlock (new)

Pretend like that wasn’t scromped up by my phone. Ugh.

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Amber (Daisymau) wrote: "I'm still here."

Amber, I have been trying to find you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 14: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Shaina, I am so very happy to see this group is up and running!!!!! I adore the genre, and this will be very enjoyable.
Hi everyone, I'm Skye!

message 15: by Shainlock (new)

Yay it’s Skye!

message 16: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments :)
Hi there, Shaina, this was a wonderful idea and I am going to see if I can locate Renee and Marilyn, too.

message 17: by Angel (new)

Angel Hi, I have been a member here for a while now. I am extremely active here on Goodreads and I try to be active in all the umpteenth groups I'm a member of. But I always try to keep up what's going in this group and other groups. I am a fan of Gothic novels and always have been since I was a kid. Don't erase me. I'm here. Always peeking in on the group even if I don't always post a comment.

message 18: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Hi Angel!!! It's so good to see you in this group.

message 19: by Angel (new)

Angel Skye wrote: "Hi Angel!!! It's so good to see you in this group."

Hi, Skye! How are you?

message 20: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments I am doing just fine and so very happy that Shaina is re-opening the group!

message 21: by Shainlock (new)

Hey ! Ok, gotcha. I found something that shows me how long ppl have been members and how much they have commented. And I also remember a lot of ppl.
If a person has been here quite a while, You are safe.

And I think I misspoke. It’s not so much tossing ppl.
I need to figure out how to edit the original post. Been trying a while but I just have it on my phone right now.

Amendment: I just want to find who had signed up and no longer is interested and pays this no mind and who is still really into this group. When we send out poll invitations etc there aren’t enough to go around. And I thought I could create a master list of the ppl who definitely were involved and after a while I could cull some of the excess if the other mod was ok with that. If they never showed.
I don’t know about you all but if I don’t get a poll invite I’m going ... poll? There was a poll? What group ?
So yeah. I’m trying to fix that issue.

message 22: by Shainlock (new)

Ok. Thank you Skye.

message 23: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments You know I am really into this group, Shaina!!!!

message 24: by Shainlock (new)

Happy to hear it! You have good thoughts and those are wonderful vibes.

message 25: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Thank you so much for saying this!

message 26: by Shainlock (new)

The nominations poll is up. Please visit everyone?

message 28: by Angel (last edited Jun 11, 2018 03:41PM) (new)

Angel Skye wrote: "I am doing just fine and so very happy that Shaina is re-opening the group!"

Awesome!

message 29: by Shainlock (new)

What other groups are you two in together ?

message 30: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments I'm not sure; I am in so many!!! However, we have been friends for quite awhile.

message 31: by C. (last edited Jun 16, 2018 03:31AM) (new)

C. Hi all, Newbie here. Avid reader of most genres. I joined because Gothic is just another that I have enjoyed, so plan to use the group to get reading ideas. :D

I don't do challenges, buddy reads, or any book club type of things, because I prefer to read what I want, when I want!

message 32: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments C., I understand completely about the challenges; right now I'm reading three books, one for the BOTM, and I am behind on all three.

message 33: by Shainlock (new)

That kind of defeats the whole purpose of joining the club. Why have a club full of members who do not participate? Feel me.? You can read what you want on your own, but you join clubs to push boundaries and share ideas.

message 34: by Shainlock (new)

I’m not trying to be mean, just real. When I try to send polls and things to the ppl who do participate, I am unable to get everyone bc there are so many members and most say and do nothing. I understand that and all. But it affects some of the active members. It affects us mods. We don’t need more inactive members. We need active ones!
If you are here to sit there and do nothing then you are here for the wrong reason. There are plenty of other ways to get ideas; are there not?

message 35: by Shainlock (new)

Yeah I also understand about them. We do pick our groups. You know? Sometimes we pick too many. I get it. There’s that and then I have this pile from the library.
That’s also why I thought, start out with one book, Anything Gothic Goes and make it friendly so that ppl have choices.

message 36: by C. (last edited Jun 17, 2018 03:24AM) (new)

C. Shaina wrote: "That kind of defeats the whole purpose of joining the club. Why have a club full of members who do not participate? Feel me.? You can read what you want on your own, but you join clubs to push boun..."

I do enjoy reading and writing reviews and giving/getting book suggestions, so that is also why I join groups in the genres that I am interested in, and I do not need any more reason than that!

If that isn't good enough for you, then it should be stated in your rules, "that LURKERS(as the majority of Goodread's group members are) are not wanted/welcome in your group!!

message 37: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Shaina wrote: "Yeah I also understand about them. We do pick our groups. You know? Sometimes we pick too many. I get it. There’s that and then I have this pile from the library.
That’s also why I thought, start ..."

Shaina wrote: "Yeah I also understand about them. We do pick our groups. You know? Sometimes we pick too many. I get it. There’s that and then I have this pile from the library.
That’s also why I thought, start ..."

Shaina, count me in. I think some of the book choices are wonderful.

message 38: by Shainlock (new)

You know what? You are right. I will fix that.
It also doesn’t state .. hey we are here as a group so you can be in the group, but ignore us. No. The idea is pretty much to become part of the group and that is common sense. How many groups are there where you join and do nothing in any way of support, time, or or anything else the group does and are still really able to say you are a part of it!
I don’t mind having some inactive members or lurkers. I didn’t make the rules, but I will make sure I get with the other mod and make sure they are stated clearly.

I am only hoping that some of you will not be lurkers and instead discuss, and/or read a book now and then. No one says you have to be up in here quoting Dracula all day and giving us a gothic thesis while also reading every gothic angle there is!
Ok, so you don’t want to do challenges ... fine. I’m saying we need active ppl.
You don’t come in my group telling me what you will or will not do and then try to shame me. No. I am a kind person, but nah ah; the last thing we need is discourse. We are glad to have you here but I won’t have that. So, can we start over?
This whole group was about to be abandoned. All of you. I tried to save it. I can’t have a group with no actual members. And while I am tickled pink some of you are here and doing your thing, that can’t be all or I might as well shut it down.
Frankly I don’t have time for ppl who have none for me. This group was and is important to me. It made me branch into so many other books and I made so many good GR friends bc of it.

Things are difficult enough. Seriously! I’m sorry if I made anyone feel unwanted; that is not the case. Things are just really difficult. We need active members. Some of you step up, please.

message 39: by Shainlock (new)

Thanks, Skye. I know and knew I could count on you.

message 40: by Angel (new)

Angel I've invited several of my Goodreads friends to this group. Maybe that'll get some new discussions started.

message 41: by Shainlock (new)

Thanks, Angel. You still being here is very much appreciated. And so would be any of your comrades.

message 42: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Angel, this is such a nice, solid group. I'm so glad you invited your friends.

message 43: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Shaina wrote: "Thanks, Skye. I know and knew I could count on you."

Well, that's what friends are for, Shaina!

message 44: by Angel (new)

Angel Shaina wrote: "Thanks, Angel. You still being here is very much appreciated. And so would be any of your comrades."

Thanks, Shaina.

message 45: by Angel (new)

Angel Skye wrote: "Angel, this is such a nice, solid group. I'm so glad you invited your friends."

:)

message 46: by Trinity (new)

Trinity | 803 comments Mod
Glad to see you guys stayed active without me. I know to most of you I just vanished into the nether and I don't really want to get into the details of why I had to leave for so long, but life happened and none of it was good. Had to do a lot of emotional processing. I'm ready and willing to get this group back on its feet if you guys are.

message 47: by Trinity (new)

As for the "lurkers", it's fine to stay and get ideas. But what we have had a problem with in the past is lurkers casting votes for books they have no intention of reading or discussing. It makes it difficult for those of us that do participate. Because we are all like, "Who picked this? None of us like it. Why are we still discussing a book that NONE of us picked?" So, we had attempted to consolidate a list of active members to send the poll to. This group is VERY LARGE and has just a handful of people who actually participate in active discussion. We are limited on how many invites we can send out and some of our active members weren't getting the poll invites, while 100 inactive people recieved one.

message 48: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Dalby I'm here as well, a newer member, but I try to contribute when it's a topic I enjoy. My TBR pile is huge, and 2/3 Gothic lit in one form or another.

message 49: by Trinity (new)

Welcome Carrie! I look forward to your input. And feel free to open a new topic for discussion.

message 50: by Shainlock (new)

Oh there you are ! Oh WB !

« previous 1