Reading Women discussion

Mrs. Dalloway
This topic is about Mrs. Dalloway
Mrs. Dallwoway Read-along

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kendra, Co-founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kendra Winchester (kdwinchester) | 559 comments Mod
Welcome to our read-along of Mrs. Dalloway! Follow along over on BookTube. You can see all of the videos on this playlist.

Kimberly | 3 comments I’m so enjoying the BookTube feature of this Read Along. Thank you Kendra for sharing your love and knowledge of the book. This is my first time reading Vw, and the extra insight is spot on!!!

Diana C. Nearhos (direads) | 1 comments I tend to struggle with stream of consciousness, so I put this one down about 30 pages in a couple of months ago but decided to try again for the readalong. I can’t say I love it yet but it’s growing on me.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Diana wrote: "I tend to struggle with stream of consciousness, so I put this one down about 30 pages in a couple of months ago but decided to try again for the readalong. I can’t say I love it yet but it’s growi..."

Hi Diana! I loved the book already, but the last time I "read" it, I listened to Juliet Stevenson reading it - and that was just fantastic. Much easier to follow, since she's an actress and knows how to inflect the sentences and words. If you like audiobooks at all, Stevenson is a superb reader of Woolf (and Austen, and others). It's on Naxos should you want it! (Here's the independent bookstore-linked audio company - Libro - version.)

Kimberly | 3 comments I agree! I’m listening to the audio read by Juliet Stevenson, and it is done so well. I also just picked up a physical copy from the library and am struck by the forward written by Maureen Howard. She writes, “ The rules were useful to her: one June day in London, morning till night. They give her characters the ordinary appointments with shopkeepers, doctors, teachers. They impose lunch, tea, dinner, on a chaotic modern world in which pity and terror abound, and classical grief, but it is a world with no catharsis, no relief.”

Well Mrs. Dalloway, let’s see just what your day holds!
Can you imagine the stream of consciousness of one of your own days —- taken down in a book? Interesting!

I also love that we are reading this in June... so lovely that it lines up with the book.

Stephanie Wright (sasha728) | 32 comments I tried reading Mrs. Dalloway several years ago and just couldn't get into it enough to finish it. This time, I listened to the audiobook and not only finished it but really enjoyed it. For me, listening to the audiobook made all the difference.

Kaitlyn | 10 comments Interesting that many of you are listening to the audiobook and greatly enjoying it that way! I may have to check it out.

As for me, I am really liking it so far! Her writing is superb, and I’m loving this stream of consciousness narrative that bounces between multiple characters. Took me a while to get into, but after 50 pages or so I was completely immersed. I find Peter slightly creepy, but I’m intrigued by Septimus.

This is one of those books that I’m going to have to read again and again in order to pick up on all the things I missed during my first go around.

Kimberly | 3 comments I’m watching Kendra’s BookTube channel after I read each part and it’s helping me to see so much more in the text.

Kendra thanks for creating the videos! I’m loving the quotes you refer to and the insid reader scoop on the characters.

message 9: by Kendra, Co-founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaitlyn wrote: "Interesting that many of you are listening to the audiobook and greatly enjoying it that way! I may have to check it out.

As for me, I am really liking it so far! Her writing is superb, and I’m l..."

Yes! It def holds up to multiple readings. I still find something every time I read it.

message 10: by Kendra, Co-founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimberly wrote: "I’m watching Kendra’s BookTube channel after I read each part and it’s helping me to see so much more in the text.

Kendra thanks for creating the videos! I’m loving the quotes you refer to and th..."

You are most welcome! I've enjoyed closely reading the text again. Just about every page has writing on it now. lol! I hope you got a lot out of the rest of the series. Happy Reading! <3

message 11: by Kendra, Co-founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzi wrote: "Diana wrote: "I tend to struggle with stream of consciousness, so I put this one down about 30 pages in a couple of months ago but decided to try again for the readalong. I can’t say I love it yet ..."

I used the audio this time as well (with the text in from of me so I could underline etc.). I really enjoyed the cadence of the prose. You can tell Woolf had such a wonderful ear for language.

message 12: by Katrin, Volunteer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katrin Gann | 13 comments Mod
Thanks so much for this read-along and your videos! I enjoyed it a lot and now I have to read more Virgina Woolf :)
The theme of communication (or the lack of it) stood out the most for me. I wonder if their lives would have been differently if they would have said to each other what they really thought and felt. Instead they just imagine conversations in their heads...