The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

The Eustace Diamonds (Palliser, #3)
This topic is about The Eustace Diamonds
The Trollope Project - Archives > The Eustace Diamonds: June 10-16: Chapters 65-72

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frances, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Frances (francesab) | 1932 comments Mod
We have reached the penultimate section of our novel, and the various threads are resolving.

We see the ending of the planned marriage for Lucinda Roanoke-what did you think of this conclusion? What did you think of Lucinda and Sir Griffin's behaviour throughout this strange courtship?

The truth about the diamonds is gradually emerging, and Lady Eustace is becoming more and more isolated-what is happening to her friends and lovers?

What is Frank Greystock doing throughout this time? What do you think of his actions now?

Please share your thoughts on this section, and what you are hoping/expecting for the conclusion.

message 2: by Lori, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 1435 comments Mod
I found the end of the Lucinda - Griffin engagement boring. I was hoping for something more dramatic. I thought maybe she'd run off to the colonies or something. OR SOMETHING. This was a let down.

I'm not sure if my other notes were from this section or the last chapters.

message 3: by Frances, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Frances (francesab) | 1932 comments Mod
I agree-I was really hoping to get some more definitive resolution to this thread-that she would run off with someone else (I was thinking Lord George, possibly or one of the riders) or else there would be some more grand denouement.

message 4: by Robin P, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin P | 2227 comments Mod
There was a threat of violence by Lucinda to herself or to Griffin. But I liked how she steadfastly refused to be moved. I don't understand why she had to wait till the very last minute though.

Lizzie was able to avoid prison and other nastiness because of her position - same as today, the rich and well-connected find friends in the law while the poor have no recourse.

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda | 207 comments I never liked either Lucinda or Mrs. Carbuncle- two grifters. However, I think Lucinda had this continual internal battle between what she knew she had to do- marry rich- and her disgust for Sir Griffin. Sometimes, when people are faced with such situations, they really have a difficult time of making the decision that at heart they need to make. I think that was the case with Lucinda. She was certainly trying to get out of the engagement for a long time, but the absolute deadline of the wedding pushed her over.
I think she was well out of it. Sir Griffin seemed like he could become an abuser in his attempt at control of Lucinda. She might certainly have put up a fight of the wills, but physically he would have won.
Although I do agree that Lizzie’s position resulted in the magistrate and others treating her gently, I think not trying her for perjury in return for her testimony reflects realistic quid pro quo. Many, many examples of criminals charged with far worse who are just slapped on the wrist in return for their cooperation.

Brian E Reynolds | 754 comments Lori wrote: "I found the end of the Lucinda - Griffin engagement boring. I was hoping for something more dramatic. I thought maybe she'd run off to the colonies or something. OR SOMETHING. This was a let down.
..."

Lori, when I read ahead, I labelled my comments per chapter so I wouldn't make mistakes. Its why I don't read ahead much, too much work to do it right.
I agree that Lucinda/Griffin ending could have had more drama, but isn't Lucinda possibly losing her sanity some drama? As of now, it's still open if Lucinda will regain the ability to fully enjoy the fruits of her efforts to escape a potential bad marriage.

message 7: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosemarie | 2939 comments Mod
Lucinda has always been in a difficult situation, but marrying a man she detested was not an option, even if she decided so at the last minute.
As for Lizzie, it isn't over yet.