ENC Press Books discussion

ExecTV: infamy, infotainment, innovations and death penalty

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ENC (new)

ENC Press (enc_press) | 21 comments Mod
ExecTV raises a question every other page; a social issue every alternative page; an eyebrow every page. Discuss. (ExecTV)

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather I have to say that I'm not a fan of reality TV because in my opinion, there's nothing real about it. It's scripted and set up, and a lot of the time, I get a sense that the hosts or producers are trying to hurt or humiliate the people. I get no enjoyment out of watching it.

"ExecTV" did bring home a great point, for me; our society has turned from watching the news for information to watching it for entertainment. I have to wonder what it's going to be like in ten years. Will there even be news, or will it all be celebs and their diets, how to clone your pet, the Twinkie diet...

message 3: by ENC (new)

ENC Press (enc_press) | 21 comments Mod
How to clone your pet... Hm-m... Sounds like a Science/Discovery Channel fare. Why are you saying it like it's a bad thing? ;)

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brittanylewis) I agree with Heather. Look no further than our major news networks - CNN, MSNBC, FOX News, etc. - after the death of Michael Jackson. While I'm not trying to belittle the death of an iconic pop figure, I couldn't help but scream at the TV after MONTHS of "How exactly did Michael Jackson die?" segments. It's not that it's necessarily unimportant, but there are other things going on in the world that I would really like to know about. However, people don't want to hear about war or poverty or disease or drugs or any of THAT because that isn't as entertaining as watching 3 hours of pop's biggest icons pay tribute to the King of Pop at his memorial.

Again - I'm not trying to say that the death of a public figure is unimportant, but in a summer where we have had many public figures die, his is the only one I recall so vividly because it was discussed at such length. The news shouldn't be about entertaining - it should be about educating.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather Brittany said: "The news shouldn't be about entertaining - it should be about educating."

I agree, I completely agree. (I also agree about yelling at the TV after months of the same coverage, but that's a different issue. I often yell at my TV.) It feels like we've gone from a nation of people who value learning to a nation who values being entertained. And what's worse, in my opinion, is that we're enforcing that culture with the next generations. They're being raised on this stuff, while at least we (or some of us) get to know what we're now missing.

And no, I'm not for cloning my pet. Once they do that, I KNOW they're going to start cloning us. And I've seen how that goes in the movies. It's bad, very, very bad.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennymay12) | 2 comments one of the reasons reality TV has taken off is that networks can't afford to pay actors' salaries anymore (think of Friends, when each of the six primary cast members made a cool million per episode). if we didn't aggrandize entertainers so much--they wouldn't be able to demand that sort of salary. but they do, because they can, and in turn, the basic, everyday lives of these people becomes important--it becomes news. if they are being paid that much money, everyone MUST care, right?

on the other hand, it's getting harder and harder to "shock" the public. when something truly shocking does finally happen (to use the example here, MJ's unexpected demise) the media just runs and runs with it, trying to hold our interest, until everyone is finally sick of it.

an interesting side note: i have a friend who worked for NBC (granted, he was on the SNL side of things) when the attacks on the WTC buildings happened. he told me that he found out that a lot of news networks will play videos of something that shocking over and over, and over, and over, to desensitize a grieved and overly-stressed public to what happened. to get people "used" to it, so to speak.

has anyone read $erverance by richard kaempfer? it's a really interesting look into how the media works behind the scenes...

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather Interesting; I hadn't considered the actors' salaries as part of the reason why networks are turning toward reality TV.

And I do agree that is getting harder to shock the public; we've become so accustomed to blood, violence, and pain that it doesn't affect us anymore, so directors and journalist attempt to add more, to get a reaction from the public, which of course gets us more accustomed to it.