Historical Fictionistas discussion

Favorite HF Authors > John Jakes for US Historical Fiction

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ROBERT (new)

ROBERT | 35 comments I think John Jakes deserves a mention. His historical fictions revolve around the US. His books are very entertaining and quick reads.
https://www.goodreads.com/author/list...

The 8 book Kent Family Chronicles series follows a family from pre American Revolution into the 20th century. The 3 book North and South series covers the Civil War. The 2 book Crown Family Saga addresses the immigrant experience.

Reading straight history bogs me down with facts. It is rarely good writing that keeps me coming back for more. They say though, those that ignore history are condemned to repeat it. Historical fiction is how I usually get my history because the storytelling is like a spoonful of sugar that helps the medicine go down.

John Jakes' books help the medicine go down on US history. If an immigrant to the US were to ask for a US history recommendation, I would recommend the Jakes books. As one person told me, they had a week off and read all 8 Kent Chronicle Family books. They move that quickly yet they are not short reads. They mostly receive 4 star ratings.

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy An old time favorite of mine. Have you read any of James Michener novels?

message 3: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) I couldn't agree more Robert, historical fiction is such a pleasant way to learn history.

I enjoyed reading Jakes books back in the 1970's and I recently bought the miniseries based on his book The Bastard, which I found very entertaining as well.Robert Morgan

Right now I'm reading "Boone" by Robert Morgan which reads like historical fiction even though it's pure history.

message 4: by ROBERT (new)

ROBERT | 35 comments Tammy wrote: "An old time favorite of mine. Have you read any of James Michener novels?"

I used to love Michener but for some reason I lost my taste for him. I read Chesepeake and Centennial and really liked them. Then I tried Hawaii and Poland and didn't finish either one. Not sure what happened.

message 5: by ROBERT (new)

ROBERT | 35 comments ``Laurie wrote: "I couldn't agree more Robert, historical fiction is such a pleasant way to learn history.

I enjoyed reading Jakes books back in the 1970's and I recently bought the miniseries based on his book Th..."

A TV series on the Kent Chronicles could be really good. It could be 8 seasons, one for each book. Maybe 2 books a season. That is what they did with Cornwell's Saxon Tales by making the Last Kingdom TV series.

message 6: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) ROBERT wrote: "``Laurie wrote: "I couldn't agree more Robert, historical fiction is such a pleasant way to learn history.

I enjoyed reading Jakes books back in the 1970's and I recently bought the miniseries bas..."

That's a great idea Robert, I know I'd be watching a Kent family miniseries - as long as it wasn't too horribly anachronistic.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda Bridges (lindajoyb) | 762 comments ROBERT wrote: "I think John Jakes deserves a mention. His historical fictions revolve around the US. His books are very entertaining and quick reads.
https://www.goodreads.com/author/list...

The 8 ..."

I agree. I just finished reading California Gold and am about to finish Homeland. I love the way he weaves actual historical facts and people into his fictional narrative. Obviously he does a ton of research before writing his books.

message 8: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Walker (jkwalkerauthor) ROBERT wrote: "Tammy wrote: "An old time favorite of mine. Have you read any of James Michener novels?"

I used to love Michener but for some reason I lost my taste for him. I read Chesepeake and Centennial and r..."

In my opinion, "Chesapeake" is Michener's best.

message 9: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 63 comments As a preteen i liked john jakes, but grew out of him when i realized that his novels were not friendly to diversity. ( i also was annoyed that a jewish male acted as a love interest yet no jewish womwn were love interests for his characters.)

message 10: by ROBERT (new)

ROBERT | 35 comments Jeffrey wrote: "ROBERT wrote: "Tammy wrote: "An old time favorite of mine. Have you read any of James Michener novels?"

I used to love Michener but for some reason I lost my taste for him. I read Chesepeake and C..."

Chesepeake was my favorite as well. I think that is because there is so much geographical diversity in the Chesepeake. The Platte river is just not as exciting geographically.

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I remember discovering THE BASTARD at my grandmother's house one summer. I think I was in middle school. It must've been my first experience with historical fiction. Very addictive.