Spoonie Reads discussion

Book Suggestions > August Book Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittie (new)

Brittie (brittiereads) | 127 comments I am sorry this is late but I have been having a tough time this month and now we are moving.

August's theme is Dystopian. Do you have a Dystopian book you want to read and think other's would enjoy?

message 2: by Aven (new)

Aven (alwhitehorne) | 15 comments When She Woke by Hillary Jordan is incredible and I can't say enough positive things about it. It's a futuristic dystopia retelling of The Scarlet Letter with lots of political and religious commentary, and also some ethical quandaries built in.

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (hotmessbritt) | 76 comments Mod
Thanks for putting this up- I spent the week at the hospital with my grandpa and I have a hospital appt in another state on Monday. My life feels really hectic for someone who never leaves her house!

I'll go ahead and recommend "The Goodness Gene" and "House of the Scorpion," they're both YA/middle grade and easy to read. I generally love adult dystopian novels but I'm struggling to keep plots straight lately.

message 4: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) Sounds like you've had a tough week Brittany!
I'd like to nominate Matched by Ally Condie. It's another YA book that happens to be on my to read list.

message 5: by Talitha (new)

Talitha (talithamaiysha) | 10 comments Yay my fav genre!! :-D

I don't really care what book, as long as it's not 'the giver'. Looking forward to this read, hopefully it will be one available as an audiobook :)

message 6: by Aven (new)

Aven (alwhitehorne) | 15 comments There's also Beta by Rachel Cohn, which I've been wanting to read for a few years and haven't managed to.

message 7: by Maya (new)

Maya (maya_berger) | 7 comments Dystopian? Anything from George Orwell and Aldous Huxley....