Addicted to YA discussion

Tiffany D. Jackson
This topic is about Tiffany D. Jackson
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Chat with Tiffany D. Jackson 6/11!

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5323 comments Mod
We are really excited to host a chat with Tiffany D. Jackson on June 11th! She will be here June 11th 3-4pm EST.

The topic will open a day in advance for people to post questions before she gets here and then she will be around for an hour to talk to the group and answer questions. Group members may continue to ask questions during the chat.

message 2: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (last edited Jun 10, 2018 11:55AM) (new)

Nikki Sojkowski (nikkisoj) | 1545 comments Mod
Thank's for joining us Tiffany! I just finished reading your new book Monday's Not Coming. If this question isn't too spoiler-y: Was Monday's Not Coming based on any specific real events?

Back up question: What authors inspire you?

message 3: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5323 comments Mod
Thanks again for joining us! My question is what is the best thing about being an author?

message 4: by Claire (new)

Claire | 2 comments I have a couple questions...

What is your writing process like?

What other authors are you friends with, and how do they help you become a better writer?

How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?

annnnnnd What is your favorite childhood book?

Thank you!!

message 5: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff What got you into writing?

What is your advice for aspiring writers?

Extreme Bookaholic (avidreaderandtvshowwatcher) What motivates you to keep writing and not get writer's block?
What advice do you have for people who want to become writers?
What is your favorite book series?
What does it take to get a book published?

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) (bhavik_elric90) | 262 comments What things do you look out for or go on an adventure for inspirations?

Do you want to keep writing in the same genre or are you willing to experiment?

message 8: by Suzi Evelyn (new)

Suzi Evelyn (suzievelyn) Hi! What’s your least favorite part of the whole writing and publication process?

message 9: by Carolina (new)

Carolina (wolfcarol) Hi! Thanks again for joining us! Here is some question:
1. What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book?
2.What are common traps for aspiring writers?
3.Do you think someone could be a writer if they don’t feel emotions strongly?

message 10: by Leelynn (new)

Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤ (miyukinightshade) | 5 comments Honestly this feels like the best birthday present ever, so thank you so much Tiffany for being here today.

I just finished reading Monday's Not Coming with my coworker and we were really hoping that THAT part wasn't true. My question to you is, what made you decide to write the book with three different timelines, and how do you feel it made the book work?

Thank you so much!

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 155 comments I must admit I did not know about your books until this announcement, but now I am very intrigued and will order them, read them and review them. Thank you for doing the chat with the group. ;-)

message 12: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Erika wrote: "We are really excited to host a chat with Tiffany D. Jackson on June 11th! She will be here June 11th 3-4pm EST.

The topic will open a day in advance for people to post questions before she gets h..."

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HAVING ME!

message 13: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Nikki wrote: "Thank's for joining us Tiffany! I just finished reading your new book Monday's Not Coming. If this question isn't too spoiler-y: Was Monday's Not Coming based on any specific real events?

Back up ..."

TJ: Hi! Thank you for reading. Telling you the cases would be a bit spoiler-y. But I will tell you the locations. One case was in D.C of 4 missing girls. The other was of two children found in Detriot.

message 14: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Erika wrote: "Thanks again for joining us! My question is what is the best thing about being an author?"

The BEST thing about being a writer is coming up with new ideas and stories. I love brainstorming and drafting and coming up with new plot twist. :-)

message 15: by Farren (new)

Farren (mmmcookies) | 524 comments Thank you so much for being here Tiffany!

Was Allegedly inspired by real life events you came across during your television career?

If one of your novels had a film adaptation, would you want to be heavily involved in the project or let others interpret your work?

I saw your Epic Reads interview last year where you proclaimed your love for horror movies. Do you have any plans to write a horror novel in the future?

Will you pretty pretty please do the world a favor and collaborate with Angie Thomas on a book??? 🙏🙏🙏

message 16: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new)

Did you always want to be an author? If not, what did you want to be?

message 17: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Claire wrote: "I have a couple questions...

What is your writing process like?

What other authors are you friends with, and how do they help you become a better writer?

How many unpublished and half-finished b..."

Hi Claire!

So, my writing process involves outlining stories, researching, drafting, more research to make sure I got everything right, then several drafts later I finally send it to my editor for feedback.

I have lots of writer friends! The best part about it is talking out plots, seeing what works or what doesn't.

I have 2 unpublished novels that will never see the light of day. LOL!!

message 18: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Slytherpuff wrote: "What got you into writing?

What is your advice for aspiring writers?"

Hi! What got me into writing was my super active imagination. I used to make up elaborate stories as young as 4 years old.

Advice for new writers: READ EVERYTHING. I'm serious. Reading in your genre truly helps you to master the craft.

message 19: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Kamille wrote: "What motivates you to keep writing and not get writer's block?
What advice do you have for people who want to become writers?
What is your favorite book series?
What does it take to get a book publ..."

Hi Kamille!
Pushing through writers block involves two things: Reading poetry, interviewing subjects, and going to the locations where my stories take place. I'm very much an method author. I need to step into my characters shoes.

Advise: READ EVERYTHING in your genre.

Fave Book Series: Twilight :-)

What does it take: Resilience, determination, hustle, and sleepless nights.

message 20: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Bhavik wrote: "What things do you look out for or go on an adventure for inspirations?

Do you want to keep writing in the same genre or are you willing to experiment?"

HI!
Inspiration: Usually stories find me, somehow. Any story that makes me say "What if..." I know will be a good book.

Definitely want to experiment. I'd love to write an adult book. Or a romance. I'm not all doom and gloom. LOL

message 21: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Suzi Evelyn wrote: "Hi! What’s your least favorite part of the whole writing and publication process?"

COPYEDITING!!! UGH! LOL!
It's a brutal part of the process, mostly because it catches all the things that I did wrong and I'm a slight perfectionist.

message 22: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Carolina wrote: "Hi! Thanks again for joining us! Here is some question:
1. What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book?
2.What are common traps for aspiring write..."

Hi!!
1. I do A LOT of research up front. I like to have all my fact easily accessible. So sometimes it takes a while. Then even after I write the book, I do fact checking with references and beta readers.
2. Do not pay an agent to read your Query.
3. Hm. That's an interesting question. I'd say it might be a little harder for someone to make the character multidimensional as emotions are such a BIG part of writing.

message 23: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) ❤ Leelynn wrote: "Honestly this feels like the best birthday present ever, so thank you so much Tiffany for being here today.

I just finished reading Monday's Not Coming with my coworker and we were..."

First off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
I decided writing about the past and the present would help make the story more whole. To see how someone's past effected their future outcome. I kinda hated the book at first. I thought it wasn't my best work and nowhere near ALLEGEDLY. But, I also think it's a good story about friendship, and that means a lot to me. Showing the love between two best friends.

message 24: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Kim wrote: "I must admit I did not know about your books until this announcement, but now I am very intrigued and will order them, read them and review them. Thank you for doing the chat with the group. ;-)"

THANK YOU!!

message 25: by Farren (new)

Farren (mmmcookies) | 524 comments Tiffany wrote: "Suzi Evelyn wrote: "Hi! What’s your least favorite part of the whole writing and publication process?"

COPYEDITING!!! UGH! LOL!
It's a brutal part of the process, mostly because it catches all th..."

I just got my copyediting certification a few months ago 😂

message 26: by Leelynn (new)

Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤ (miyukinightshade) | 5 comments Can I cheat and ask another question? LOL
How did you decide which publishing company to go with? Would you be open to collaborating with other authors?

message 27: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new)

Tiffany wrote: "❤ Leelynn wrote: "Honestly this feels like the best birthday present ever, so thank you so much Tiffany for being here today.

I just finished reading Monday's Not Coming with my co..."

I loved the affect of switching between the different timelines!

message 28: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Farren wrote: "Thank you so much for being here Tiffany!

Was Allegedly inspired by real life events you came across during your television career?

If one of your novels had a film adaptation, would you want to ..."

THANK YOU!!
Allegedly was inspired by a real-life case I read randomly on People.com, while I was up late at night. I had insomnia because I just broke up with my ex. (LOOK AT ME NOW! I'm a writer!)

If Allegedly was made into a film, I'd probably let someone else take the wheel. I'd be soooo nervous cutting up my baby. LOL!

I'm definately doing a horror novel soon. :-)

And LOL! Me and Angie would make a dope team!

message 29: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Nikki wrote: "Did you always want to be an author? If not, what did you want to be?"
If I wasn't an author, or a filmmaker, I would have opened up my own tea room. "Tea Time with Tiff" :-)

message 30: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new)

A tea room sounds like such a cute idea!

Followup question:

Do you believe attractive book covers help in its sales? Did you get any say with your book covers?

message 31: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lennon | 1 comments Hi Tiffany!! What was your process for planning a book (MNC) with such a complex timeline?

message 32: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Nikki wrote: "A tea room sounds like such a cute idea!

Followup question:

Do you believe attractive book covers help in its sales? Did you get any say with your book covers?"

An attractive book cover doesn't hurt! I'm lucky in that they asked for my input. I wanted a red cover and girl with braids. I got just that. :-)

message 33: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Stephanie wrote: "Hi Tiffany!! What was your process for planning a book (MNC) with such a complex timeline?"

It took a LOT of wine and pink post-it notes. I decided to write that complex timeline after I almost wrote the whole book, so there was a lot of confusion at first trying to make it work. I also read Tess Sharpe's Far From You that had a similar type of timeline.

message 34: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new)

❤ Leelynn wrote: "Can I cheat and ask another question? LOL
How did you decide which publishing company to go with? Would you be open to collaborating with other authors?"

It looks like this question got lost in the thread :)

message 35: by Farren (new)

Farren (mmmcookies) | 524 comments Do you have more fun writing "bad" characters than good ones?

I can't wait to read your horror novel!

message 36: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Nikki wrote: "❤ Leelynn wrote: "Can I cheat and ask another question? LOL
How did you decide which publishing company to go with? Would you be open to collaborating with other authors?"

It looks like this quest..."

My agent really advise on the best publishing company to help start my career. Agent advice is the BEST advise.
I'm totally open to collaborating! It seems like so much fun, ping-ponging ideas.

message 37: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Farren wrote: "Do you have more fun writing "bad" characters than good ones?

I can't wait to read your horror novel!"

I love the bad characters! I love characters with imperfections, flaws, and dangerous ideas. I like pushing the limits in this genre. :-)

I really can't wait to write it! It's been a dream of mine.

message 38: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new)

Thank you so much to Tiffany for being here to talk with us! I'm sure everyone loved being able to ask you questions and I know I really enjoyed your answers.

The 3-4 window has passed, but you're welcome to stay for a bit if there are a couple of questions you wanted to answer, but didn't.

We ask that no more questions be asked, unless Tiffany is ok with answering them. If you do ask a question after this you may not get a response.

message 39: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Jackson (tiffanydjackson) Nikki wrote: "Thank you so much to Tiffany for being here to talk with us! I'm sure everyone loved being able to ask you questions and I know I really enjoyed your answers.

The 3-4 window has passed, but you'r..."

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HAVING ME!! I'm stepping away to have lunch but I'll check in to see if there are any other questions. :-)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.