Play Book Tag discussion

June 2018: Magical Realism > One hundred years of solitude | Gabriel Garcia Marquez | 5 epic stars of heartbreak and laughter

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments One Hundred Years of Solitude

I started reading this book early last month – for the Family tag. I'm glad Magic Realism was chosen because it took me a long time to finish.

OHYoS is EPIC! But not in the sense of Budenbrooks or the Forsyte Saga
As I was reading it – it felt biblical to me. There is something about the scope, about how the main characters – the Buendia family members are each all alone, like some Greek mythology heroes, or characters from the first testament books.
There's not too much chitchat, not many psychological explanations or condemnations. It's the pace of it – it just keep going, character after character grows old, make their mistakes, another archaeological layer in the life of the book

I am not used to reviewing books, and I find it very hard to sum up my thoughts

But as I was reading, I was seeing the original sin and the expulsion from some heaven, I saw the creation of a new world, I read of the devastation of colonialism in ways that reminded me of "Things fall apart", of war, madness... There were plagues that felt biblical, time was repeating... Gabriel Garcia Marquez and his friends come visit inside the book.

The story is the rise and fall of the small village of Macondo. The beginning is so pure, and at the end it is decadent, and rotting, and every one just give up.

I was surprised by how sad the story is.
It is very comical, and inventive, and beautiful. But at its core – it is very tragic.

I know quite a few people here don't like this book – but to me – it was absolutely wonderful

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments Your enthusiasm for this book makes me want to read it more than any other description that I’ve read.

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 430 comments I absolutely agree with Jgrace. Fantastic review!

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Yes!!! I felt the same way when I read it! I am so glad there are others who loved this book as much as I did. Dang, this makes me want to reread it again...

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1238 comments This is one of my all time favorites. I love your review!

message 6: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments Great review!! I honestly wish I liked Gabriel Garcia Marquez more but I enjoy seeing him through other people's eyes.

message 7: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Hurray to all the book lovers and thanks

It's definitely a reread sorta book

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6755 comments Ha ha! Great review. I hated this book and your review made me want to reread it anyway. Of course we didn't agree on it lol . . .

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I had decided that I was going to dislike this book and so I’ve taken it off my TBR. Your review makes me think I need to put it back!

message 10: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Anita wrote: "Ha ha! Great review. I hated this book and your review made me want to reread it anyway. Of course we didn't agree on it lol . . ."

haha - I was thinking about you as I read the book

message 11: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Susie wrote: "I had decided that I was going to dislike this book and so I’ve taken it off my TBR. Your review makes me think I need to put it back!"

I think knowing in advance that it's not going to be sweet nostalgic and comfortable story can give a higher chance of liking the book...

(also, accepting that when he writes about incest and other terrible things matter-of-factly, it doesn't mean Marquez is approving of it... I think that's a killer for a lot of readers)

message 12: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments How much does it stray into the biblical?

message 13: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments It’s not biblical in the sense of preaching or referring to real biblical stories
It just has similar feel to me to mythological and biblical stories

message 14: by Karin (last edited Jun 13, 2018 03:36PM) (new)

Karin | 7480 comments Anita wrote: "Ha ha! Great review. I hated this book and your review made me want to reread it anyway. Of course we didn't agree on it lol . . ."

Interesting--this review made me realize I am not interested in reading it after all. I have read enough of this sort of thing in my time. I am finding this out with a different novel I'm reading now. I'd have liked this book here once upon a time.