1000 Books Before You Die discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Read Nominations > July 2018 Comedy

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1047 comments Mod
It's that time again. The theme for July is comedy. Please choose your nominated book from the Guardian Comedy list.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) I nominate Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov

message 3: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 99 comments I nominate Lucky Jim Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis byKingsley Amis

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) Wow--that was my second choice. Looks like I've got a good chance to win out no matter what gets picked!

message 6: by Lia (new)

Lia I nominate Molloy by Samuel Beckett

“To decompose is to live too”-Molloy

Buyer beware, I guess:
The epitome of disillusioned self-consciousness, [Beckett] tells a story that is by turns (and often at the same time) grotesque, lyrical, wildly comic, feverish and serene; and yet he never manages to tell us what he originally had set out to relate.

It’s definitely on the “experimental” (pronouced “WTF”) side.

message 7: by Kaylee (new)

Kaylee (kaylee66) I nominate Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith

message 9: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 45 comments I think these are good choices. I second Mr. Norris Changes Trains.

In the U.S., this is the first half of The Berlin Stories: The Last of Mr Norris/Goodbye to Berlin, and yes, it is funny, esp. compared to the second half (Good-bye to Berlin).

message 10: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 99 comments I'd be happy whichever of these wins.

message 11: by Fl (new)

Fl Molloy please

message 12: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1047 comments Mod
I will be putting up the poll this coming Saturday, so there is still lots of time for more nominations.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.