The Walt Longmire Book Series & TV Show Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Brenda (butterflyprincess) | 212 comments Mod
Here is where you can discuss the ongoing relationship between Walt & Vic. And how it is perceived by the other characters, etc.

message 2: by Cross (new)

Cross | 12 comments I agree! I think that the chemistry that the two actors create is amazing and I am okay with it going cannon or not. I have to work a little to reconcile the Vic I envision in my head and the screen version but the writers are so methodical in the way that they handle character development and dynamic so I know that what ever direction they take will be more than I could have ever imagined.

message 3: by Cynde (new)

Cynde Janis | 17 comments I love how the Walt/Vic relationship is handled in the books and I love the onscreen chemistry between Robert and Katee. I hope that they do go canon with the relationship.
I think that the relationship can work on screen, as in the books, because it is never really dwelled on for great lengths of time. It is not all puppy dogs and moon beams with pages of romantic ramblings. It is and can be implied by little moments, like the scene in the bar, or through brief passages in the script voiced by Walt, Vic, or someone that realizes what is going on.
I know that some are saying that Walt is her superior but it can also be said that Vic is not being coerced or forced into a relationship to keep, or advance, her job. The connection between them is there. I would like to see it keep moving forward. I think that the writers are clever enough to not let the romance bog down the story.

message 4: by George (new)

George | 17 comments Wouldn't it be fun to have the chemistry between them continue, but each one still have other "flings?" There are all sorts of possibilities - Doc Bloomfield, even Omar. Also, some new lady could be introduced for Walt. What about the lady who owned the horse in "Dark Horse"?

message 5: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Mcleod-lamb | 1 comments I totally agree with those who want a relationship between Walt and Vic! I would hope they would do it similar to the way the books handle it..loyalty between the two and it be just an occasional part of the story.

message 6: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hamilton | 35 comments i am in the Walt Vic camp because the relationship is mature and not all as cynde said puppy dogs and moon beams. i do not see walt as her superior as a problem. apparently he does not either. the book runs it so well with such great lines. if she were not his ? equal, i do not think he would have hesitated to give her the time of day. as such, he has given her a lot of time. she seems to be his natural partner a stream that runs both ways i might add. she seems to have always taken his side. it is possible that like she said in that hospital bed in the episode where she got shot by that trank...a REAL man. basically, that is what she perhaps is not going to settle for less than, esp since she has actually met one. my take

message 7: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hamilton | 35 comments ps that woman in the books with the horse..i thought Lizzy was more or less loosely taken on that character.

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hamilton | 35 comments an aside...Ferg is convinced that Walt is the one who beat up Gorski. is there something i missed? how do we know that? i thought Walt said he did not ....

message 9: by Cynde (new)

Cynde Janis | 17 comments I think that the only one that thinks absolutely that Walt beat up Gorski is Gorski. I think that Ferg has several suspects in mind & I believe that Sean tops his list.
Ferg may be thinking about adding Walt to the list now since he is seeing the emotional connection that Walt & Vic have. But he never directly mentioned Walt to anyone.....unless I missed something.

message 10: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hamilton | 35 comments when ferg lets branch go...walt says he assaulted an officer..and ferg says...so did you to walt..then backtracks and say well i know you were just defending vic....at least that is how i think it went

message 11: by Cynde (new)

Cynde Janis | 17 comments I took Ferg's comment about Walt assaulting an officer as his manhandling of Branch at the time they threw him in the cell.

message 12: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hamilton | 35 comments ok...i thought he was referring to gorski...oh well

message 13: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

I agree with Cynde. After all the incident with Branch had basically just happened. Also Gorski had left the story by saying good bye to Vic after helping to rescue Sean and her from the kidnappers. I think that story line is closed because it felt so final.

message 14: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hamilton | 35 comments well i agree...the gorski thing IS closed...however Ferg had told Branch about Gorski and Walt when Vic was kidnapped...and i would have thought that Walt was just defending his deputy..namely Vic after Branch tried to choke her...so i did not think That counted.as assault.....anyway...sometimes the lines perhaps are hard to follow......

message 15: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Danielle wrote: "well i agree...the gorski thing IS closed...however Ferg had told Branch about Gorski and Walt when Vic was kidnapped...and i would have thought that Walt was just defending his deputy..namely Vic ..."

Danielle, You are right on both accounts. I forgot that Walt had told Ferg about the Gorski incident. I guess we will each decide what Ferg meant until next season. Hopefully it will be cleared up then.

message 16: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hamilton | 35 comments gonna need a notebook to check off those things left unaccounted for......

message 17: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Danielle wrote: "gonna need a notebook to check off those things left unaccounted for......"

LOL!!! I agree.

message 18: by Joy (new)

Joy Walker | 13 comments Danielle wrote: "an aside...Ferg is convinced that Walt is the one who beat up Gorski. is there something i missed? how do we know that? i thought Walt said he did not ...."

Not to derail the Walt/Vic thread but IIRC Vic was supposed to have hired Hector to deal with Gorski. When Walt visited Gorski in the hospital he made a comment about Gorski missing some teeth, which was Hector's calling card.

message 19: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hamilton | 35 comments i know...i thought about that too...joy thanks for the reminder...

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan (mtnred) | 47 comments That's what I thought too - it had Hector's MO all over it.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan (mtnred) | 47 comments Back to Walt & Vic - I could tell that Walt and Vic had a few "vibes" for each other, but Vic was married and trying to make it work. Walt had to finish dealing with Martha's death and his overwhelming grief. In the show, comments were made that he was totally out of it for a year after her death. Now that he has released her ashes, perhsps he can release the pain and move forward. I don't see anything happening too quickly with them. They don't move too quickly in the books, so I'd like to see it work the same way on the show.

message 22: by Cynde (new)

Cynde Janis | 17 comments I agree that Walt and Vic definitely have "vibes" for each other. They also have great chemistry together. Robert Taylor said in a Longmire video that the sheriff definitely has time for Vic and that he likes her a lot.
Now that Walt has spread Martha's ashes, and Vic is divorcing Sean, the two of them can move forward focusing on the possibilities of a relationship with each other. They can start with a clean slate, so to speak, in Season 4 (if we get one).
The writers for this show are extremely smart and clever. I trust that they will move the Walt/Vic relationship along in a manner that will fit the characters and storyline so that it will not feel rushed or false.

message 23: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hamilton | 35 comments to cynde........if the writers do it right..this is a great MATURE romance....the books are fabulous on this relationship....

message 24: by Janet (new)

Janet Washer | 23 comments My take: Gorski was not a police officer at the time Ferg told Walt about the assault.

Re TV-Walt/Vic: He's kept her in bubble wrap some of this season, especially after Ep 7, and she spent part of Ep 9 Counting Coup locked in Walt's office. That is NOT the Vic of the books. I almost expect her to give him her badge and gun next season if he doesn't let her be herself. Let Vic be Vic. She has to learn to cope with his disregard for personal safety. Maybe a relationship will sharpen both of those issues to focus.

message 25: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Janet wrote: "My take: Gorski was not a police officer at the time Ferg told Walt about the assault.

Re TV-Walt/Vic: He's kept her in bubble wrap some of this season, especially after Ep 7, and she spent part..."

Janet I just read your post, sorry it took so long. But great points! Vic was being "babied" this season and I don't see that she would take that in the books. Vic is a more outgoing and confident personality and would not allow anyone to suppress or subjugate it. I do think a relationship of one sort or another will be beneficial for both of them.

message 26: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hamilton | 35 comments i thought there was a LOT of dismissal of Vic...the way Barlow jumped on her...the way nighthorse grabbed that subpoena out of her hand, the locking in the office...am not sure why the writers did this...this is NOT the vic who jumped all over matthias when he swung at walt..not sure if some vibe the writers are picking up...on toning her character down...though there was no babying when she got beat down by peter stormare...that helmet thing was hellacious...thought walt sort of walked away from that...not real jointed thoughts here...walt sort of going after that security officer where russian child polina got dumped...then i also knew walt sort of leading that guy down a path to hang himself which he did...vic knows when to play along with him....and last season when she got stuck sitting in the office with the FBI while Branch took up her role from the books of going with henry to retreive walt off that snowy mountain...and the babying did not go ..so much when vic took that punch..i am surprised she did not wind up in the hospital for that.....remember Walt took down Hector..so Vic should have been at least knocked out cold...when she wants to..or the writers let her...Vic is awesome...she got nighthorse in that traffic stop...i never fail to laugh..she takes out his rear car light...and reads his car computer on his phone contacts...both she and henry suffer...the henry in the books would not be so ZEN as to be immobile and passive...as the series portrays him...and Vic...nah,. i dont think the writers do her justice...Craig Johnson does...and ...anyone who knows Philly girls...hmmm...when she takes walts drink...thats my beer...she would have ordered Walt his own and kept the ONE she took....i dont know..thanks for listening to the ramblings here

message 27: by Danielle (last edited Aug 25, 2014 08:34AM) (new)

Danielle Hamilton | 35 comments PS i would still like to KNOW who Ferg was referring to.on that so did you comment...i still dont get who beat up gorski..it was not walt? was it Vic? was it hector? or someone else?..sometimes those writers slip up....and there are times when there is explanation dialogue...like who does not know what counting coup is...Vic is not unread....and how they dont always KNOW who these residents of Absaroka are....such is the explicatory dialogue....oh my..i am a purist.....even had to explain to henry who was this one or that...again dialog

message 28: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hamilton | 35 comments just remembered... Vic locking herself up in office...some small points...one...Sean served her with divorce papers....so how could she go home..perhaps esp with branch still loose...or ..knowing walt was concerned..she took herself out strategically...by locking herself there...this way she knew the lay of the land...was not sure Ferg would be able to look after her..since Barlow got over on him...sure as hell branch could and would....the other thing....vic in books...no bad girl thing...just one tough no nonsense cookie...aint sure she would have mixed it up with Gorski to start out with....the one in the books...took responsibility for everything..plus she could have just been in the office to sleep...she was done ..and heading home..when walt sort of stopped her...thanks again for listening...god...a & e needs to renew and give us longer episodes more of them ..and shorter in betweens with nothing.

message 29: by Janet (new)

Janet Washer | 23 comments The Vic in the books would have gone with Walt to confront Ridges, and would have gone to Denver with him.

message 30: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hamilton | 35 comments yup thought so too...hope the writers begin to do her justice