Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Anansi Boys sample issue

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Augeris (new)

Augeris | 1 comments I noticed that the sample for anansi boys by Neil gaiman is not too great compared to most of his other audiobooks. It sounds muddy/a very low bitrate. I also noticed that there is another version of anansi boys, read by the same performer, GREAT audio sample, only released a year after the earlier release, but it isn't available for purchase in the United States. Will the quality be better once I purchase and download from the cloud? I have about 60 titles in my audible library so this is the first time I've noticed this. Also, the better quality recording is available in the iTunes Store, so it is odd the it is available for purchase there, but not in the audible store. For obvious reasons I'd rather have it actually in my audible library and not purchase from iTunes.

message 2: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3271 comments I have the audiobook of Anansi boys from Audible and didn't notice any audio problems... and loved the story and narration btw.
Fortunately, you can feel safe buying the audio from Audible because, if there is a sound issue, you can return it for a refund--no risk. Before returning it though, it's also good to call Customer Service or send an email regarding any sound quality issues. Audible takes quality seriously and has been known to replace defective recordings with remastered ones once they are made aware of problems.

message 3: by Dave (new)

Dave In Hollywood | 93 comments For what it's worth, I have to say that ANANSI BOYS was one of my least favorite audiobooks that I actually finished. I know I am in the minority on this one. (And I loved STARDUST).

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna Robbins | 226 comments I listened to Anansi Boys via CD from the library years ago and loved it, I remember the accents were great fun. It was the first "solo" Neil Gaiman novel I ever read - I went looking for Gaiman's stuff after I read and loved Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett. I don't remember any issues with the audio quality but maybe I've just forgotten?

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 36 comments Sometimes it is just the sample that is poor quality. The sample files are often heavily compressed to save space and they can sound really bad.