Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Light We Lost
This topic is about The Light We Lost
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Santopolo Jill, The Light We Lost ; Informal Buddy Read Starts 9 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31607 comments Mod

Synopsis
He was the first person to inspire her, to move her, to truly understand her. Was he meant to be the last?

Lucy is faced with a life-altering choice. But before she can make her decision, she must start her story—their story—at the very beginning.

Lucy and Gabe meet as seniors at Columbia University on a day that changes both of their lives forever. Together, they decide they want their lives to mean something, to matter. When they meet again a year later, it seems fated—perhaps they’ll find life’s meaning in each other. But then Gabe becomes a photojournalist assigned to the Middle East and Lucy pursues a career in New York. What follows is a thirteen-year journey of dreams, desires, jealousies, betrayals, and, ultimately, of love. Was it fate that brought them together? Is it choice that has kept them away? Their journey takes Lucy and Gabe continents apart, but never out of each other’s hearts.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

JanEyre9 Team Minerva McGonagall

Started this morning! I'm listening to the audio CDs in my car during my commute so it'll take me a week and a half or so to finish. I am 4 chapters in and feel an instant pull to this story. (view spoiler) I can't wait to see what happens next.

Erin | 612 comments I started this last night, and I’m really loving it! I can’t post much because I’m on my phone, and I don’t want to risk posting a spoiler, but I’m really enjoying it so far!

Should be back home tomorrow, back to my computer, to post more

JanEyre9 I am having majorly mixed feelings about this book! Some of the dialogue just feel too schmaltzy for me, but it's a romance so I get it. I like Lucy a lot and find their relationship to be very passionate and dynamic - but I just don't like Gabe. (view spoiler) I am enjoying the format, where Lucy is in the future reminiscing to Gabe, but we don't fully know what that future situation is. That's giving an layer of intrigue to the story. I am listening to the audio and am having trouble with the narrator. The author is reading the book and she's a bit one tone, not enough change between characters.

Erin | 612 comments Ok, back at a computer!

I really like Lucy too! And I'm kind of feeling the same as you about Gabe.
I'm up to chapter xxi-I had a lot of airport reading time and finished the other book I was reading.
(view spoiler)

Also, I might know what's going on- why she's telling their story- but I don't know if I'm right or if it'd be considered a spoiler, so I'll hide it too (view spoiler)

Erin | 612 comments Up to chapter xliv:
(view spoiler)

JanEyre9 Erin wrote: "Ok, back at a computer!

I really like Lucy too! And I'm kind of feeling the same as you about Gabe.
I'm up to chapter xxi-I had a lot of airport reading time and finished the other book I was read..."

Yes and yes! (view spoiler)

JanEyre9 Erin wrote: "Up to chapter xliv:
I like what Lucy's brother said about different types of love- it seems like something Lucy needs to hear since she's still having a hard time moving on from Gabe. For the most ..."

Lucy's brother is one of my favorite characters. A) He loves her so much. b) he gives awesome, nerdy advise.

JanEyre9 Darren (I can't remember my exact chapter but it's a little past 35, i think) (view spoiler)

message 12: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments About the dog- (view spoiler)

message 13: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments Finished this yesterday-got to a certain point and had to read to the end
(view spoiler)

All in all, this was a pretty good book. I'll definitely be interested in reading the next book the author writes

JanEyre9 Ahh I'm a little behind, I'm glad you liked the book overall. I'm at the point where (view spoiler)

message 15: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments I guess we should use spoilers in case someone else decides to join in later on. I wound up finishing it because a family event stretched on a little too long, so I decided instead of getting impatient with everyone I'd just curl up and get some reading in

About the phone call- (view spoiler)

message 16: by JanEyre9 (last edited Jun 21, 2018 05:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

JanEyre9 Babies, photos and airports (chapter 60ish)- (view spoiler)

JanEyre9 Up to Chapter 69 and want to reach into this story and give Lucy a huge shake. (view spoiler)

message 18: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments Babies photos and airports (view spoiler)

Through chapter 69(view spoiler)

JanEyre9 Finished the book a few days ago but have been out of town. Ok, this book was a roller coaster for me! I didn't love it and the characters grated on my nerves, but there was no way I would have abandoned it. I NEEDED to know how this ended.

The ending - (view spoiler)

JanEyre9 Erin wrote: "Finished this yesterday-got to a certain point and had to read to the end
The more I read, the less I liked Darren. Everything about the way he treated Lucy and responded to the kids made me reall..."

I hated the paper doll thing! I would be furious if I found out (view spoiler)

message 21: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Sabo | 512 comments I'm halfway into the book, but I'm starting to get to a point where I might need to finish. It's getting really good.

But in general, I am wondering about how everyone feels about how their relationship started? I think staring a friendship during a highly emotional day really marks that relationship. I'm wondering if it causes the walls to go down and then they can be close, or if it just causes the illusion of closeness. Thoughts?

JanEyre9 Jen that's an excellent point. Gabe and Lucy's relationship started with a hugely emotional event, I wonder if their bond would feel so intense if they had met at a party in October. It seems like their connection grows beyond that but I absolutely think that one reason why they feel this inability to cut off contact is that their origin was so emotionally and psychologically intense.

message 23: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "Finished the book a few days ago but have been out of town. Ok, this book was a roller coaster for me! I didn't love it and the characters grated on my nerves, but there was no way I would have aba..."

The ending (view spoiler)

I agree with the point about how the relationship started. It's such a big moment that it makes it their connection feel more intense, and makes it difficult to move on with their lives

message 24: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Sabo | 512 comments I just finished the book. Wow, it did not go the direction I was expecting it to do. In some ways the ending seemed fitting: ending of the relationship similar emotions to the start.

message 25: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Sabo | 512 comments Erin wrote: "Up to chapter xliv:
I like what Lucy's brother said about different types of love- it seems like something Lucy needs to hear since she's still having a hard time moving on from Gabe. For the most ..."

I agree with what you said about him not supporting her job. I don't like the idea that the relationships are either all passion or all calm.

message 26: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Sabo | 512 comments COMMENTS OVERALL -- SPOILERS

I can't figure out how to use the spoiler tag, but when I get it, I will go back and edit.

I don't like that she is staying with him. I think since he wasn't cheating, she stays with him, but had he been cheating she would have felt justified to leave. Which not only comes up with a double standard (her actions) but also the idea that only certain things justify ending a relationship. This was just so messy with her not leaving but cheating, not to mention the pregnancy.

JanEyre9 Do you think Darren would stay with Lucy if she reveals the truth? Part of me thinks he would so he can still feel like he has the life he built so carefully.

message 28: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Sabo | 512 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "Do you think Darren would stay with Lucy if she reveals the truth? Part of me thinks he would so he can still feel like he has the life he built so carefully."

I totally think he would. I think it would mess with him because I think he likes her for the idea of her and this changes the idea. I also think she might have to compromise on her job or something because he would kind of hold it over her.

JanEyre9 Jen wrote: "JanEyre9 wrote: "Do you think Darren would stay with Lucy if she reveals the truth? Part of me thinks he would so he can still feel like he has the life he built so carefully."

I totally think he ..."

Oh I could totally see that. The family stays together but she has to be the stay at home mom he wanted her to be. Absolutely.

message 30: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Sabo | 512 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "Jen wrote: "JanEyre9 wrote: "Do you think Darren would stay with Lucy if she reveals the truth? Part of me thinks he would so he can still feel like he has the life he built so carefully."

I total..."

And she likes the idea of her family staying together. So, I think she would do it. She would lose that piece of herself, but she would have that baby. Also, when the kids move out, I could see her leaving him.