You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > July 2018 - Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Jun 16, 2018 08:35AM) (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments July's theme is books with a place name in the title.

It's time to nominate books. Please go ahead and nominate a book that fits the theme. Please also state how the book fits if it isn't obvious.

If you don't want to nominate your own book, you can second someone else's nomination instead, and that will count as your own nomination, and that book will be entered an extra time in random.org - giving the book an additional chance to make the cut.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people . If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", you need to state "I second Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone".

A couple of points to consider when nominating:

- To allow enough time for as many people as possible to read, try and limit the page count to approximately 400 pages maximum.

- To ensure the book is available for as many readers as possible, please consider whether your nomination is 1) still in print AND 2) available as a reasonably-priced e-book (under $12) AND 3) published no less than 3 months ago.

- Please check the YLTO Group Book Shelf to ensure we haven't already read the book in the last 2 years before nominating it.

- One nomination/seconding per person.

Only 5 books will be selected to be in the poll when it comes to voting.

Each of the chosen group read books will have a discussion leader assigned to help facilitate the discussion. The discussion leader will be the person who originally nominated the book, or someone who seconded their nomination if they do not wish to do it.

Nominations close 16th June

Honolulu (Peggy) seconded
Frankenstein in Baghdad (Esther)
The Witches of New York (Janice)
The Witch of Napoli (Silver)
Brooklyn (Renee) seconded
The Little Paris Bookshop (Almeta)
The Boston Girl (Cherie) seconded
The High Mountains of Portugal (Pragya)
Bath Tangle (Lanelle)

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15586 comments I have 3 books I want to nominate! But I'll go with Honolulu

message 3: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4619 comments i have one that i am curious about... Frankenstein in Baghdad

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51926 comments I'll nominate The Witches of New York.

message 5: by Silver (new)

Silver | 495 comments I nominate The Witch of Napoli

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments Brooklyn I looked and didn't see that we had read this

message 7: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments I second Brooklyn

message 8: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3628 comments I nominate Summer in Baden-Baden.

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15223 comments I'll nominate A Gentleman in Moscow.

message 10: by Almeta (new)

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Jun 11, 2018 06:34AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15586 comments Kristie wrote: "I'll nominate A Gentleman in Moscow."

Sounds interesting, but maybe it's a bit long for the group read?

Some interesting nominations! I added a few to my tbr.

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15223 comments Peggy wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I'll nominate A Gentleman in Moscow."

Sounds interesting, but maybe it's a bit long for the group read?

Some interesting nominations! I added a few to my tbr."

Oh, you're right. I forgot to look. It's over 400 pages. I'll withdraw it. The other I planned to read was second in a series. Funny how I do that. I notice something wrong with one then I see another and think oh this one works! It fit the criteria that the other didn't, so I forgot to check the other criteria. Silly, tired brain.

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15223 comments I will second Honolulu

message 14: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15586 comments Lol, happens to me all the time too!

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Wow lots of nominations already. There's a lot of books with place names in the title.

message 16: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments I looked through Listopia Cities and City for some titles. I found quite a few that I have on my TBR list, but most of them are door stoppers. I have two that I am interested in, but I am not sure we are ready for this one Duluth but it might be fun.

I am going to nominate The Boston Girl.

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51926 comments Duluth might make for some interesting discussions. :)

message 18: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments Actually, that is what I thought too, Janice!

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Pragya wrote: "I nominate Summer in Baden-Baden."

This book isn't available as an ebook and appears to be out of print. Well here in the UK anyway. Would you like to nominate something else instead?

message 20: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17853 comments Sarah wrote: "Pragya wrote: "I nominate Summer in Baden-Baden."

This book isn't available as an ebook and appears to be out of print. Well here in the UK anyway. Would you like to nominate somethi..."

I found it on Book Depository for $18. But otherwise it was $250 for a copy, or $325 at other vendor. Neither of those prices are typos.

message 21: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17853 comments Which is unfortunate, as a Summer in Baden-Baden is gorgeous. I tested it out last year, and turns out Queen Victoria, Tolstoy, and all the Romans were on the money.

message 22: by Pragya (last edited Jun 12, 2018 11:48AM) (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3628 comments Sarah wrote: "Pragya wrote: "I nominate Summer in Baden-Baden."

This book isn't available as an ebook and appears to be out of print. Well here in the UK anyway. Would you like to nominate somethi..."

Oh. I only checked for the US where the paperback is available for $12.76. Sorry about that. It is also available on The Book Depository for $13.64. But I understand if it's difficult to procure, it's better to leave it out.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Summer...

message 23: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3628 comments Rusalka wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Pragya wrote: "I nominate Summer in Baden-Baden."

This book isn't available as an ebook and appears to be out of print. Well here in the UK anyway. Would you like to no..."

Oh wow.

message 25: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17853 comments Pragya wrote: "Rusalka wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Pragya wrote: "I nominate Summer in Baden-Baden."

This book isn't available as an ebook and appears to be out of print. Well here in the UK anyway. Woul..."

I'll admit I choked a bit when I saw those prices.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Saar wrote: "I'll nominate: My Path Leads to Tibet: The Inspiring Story of How One Young Blind Woman Brought Hope to the Blind Children of Tibet"

This book is pretty expensive in all formats here in the UK (average £12). Is there another book you'd like to nominate instead?

message 27: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3628 comments I would like to nominate The Prague Cemetery.

message 28: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments Pragya wrote: "I would like to nominate The Prague Cemetery."

I own that one, but it is 445 pages long, so I did not think about nominating it.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Yeah it's a bit too long Pragya for a group read. Sorry. Not having much luck. Got any other ideas?

message 30: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3628 comments Ugh. I thought I had checked. I will try my luck again, Sarah.

I nominate The High Mountains of Portugal

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments That one's all good Pragya.

message 32: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments Ooh, that sounds good Pragya.

message 33: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3395 comments I nominate Bath Tangle by Georgette Heyer. (Bath as in Bath, England.)

Saar The Book owl | 1925 comments Sarah wrote: "Saar wrote: "I'll nominate: My Path Leads to Tibet: The Inspiring Story of How One Young Blind Woman Brought Hope to the Blind Children of Tibet"

This book is pretty expensive in all..."

Oh, sorry, never thought about that. I'll look for another.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Saar wrote: "I nominate: My Berlin Kitchen: A Love Story (with Recipes)"

That one is basically the same price wise. Kindle version is borderline but it really limits how many people are likely to participate. Third time lucky?

message 37: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3628 comments Sarah wrote: "That one's all good Pragya."

Finally! :D

message 38: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3891 comments There are several here that I want to read. Some are already on my tbr. But I've been waiting for an opportunity to readThe Boston Girl for quite some time and I saw it was available through my library in kindle and audio form. I second it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.