Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's Mercurial May 3/3

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1395 comments 9)The Fairfax Incident by Terrence McCauley (historical mystery) Source: Wiley got the publisher to send me a Net Galley ARC Started: 5/23 Finished: 5/27

Why Read: Wiley hasn't given me a historical mystery before and I'd like to encourage him to do more of that. Historical is my favorite mystery sub-genre. This takes place in the early 1930's in New York.

Comments: I considered it unusual because it dealt with the impact of WWI on German-Americans. I gave it a B+ See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

10)Black Tudors: The Untold Story by Miranda Kaufman (history) 376 pages. Source: Library Started: 5/27 Finished: 5/28

Why Read: I had no idea that there was a population of free Africans in Tudor England.

Comments: This caused me to think about the causes of slavery and racism. People who don't enjoy reading history may find it tedious. I found it fascinating. Rating A

11)Shaherazade's Daughters by Sameena K. Mughal (single author anthology) Source: Amazon purchase Started: 5/28 Finished: 5/30

Why Read: The author called it a feminist version of the Arabian nights' type of stories.

Comments: Not necessarily feminist. I really did like one story about a woman doing scientific research, and another about the daughter of a servant becoming the heir of the Sultan, but there was also a story dealing with sexual abuse in a way that I found offensive. I liked four stories out of ten. Rating C+.

12)The Case of the Running Bag: A Jonas Watcher Detective Adventure by Gene Poschman (historical mystery) 179 pages. Source: Author giving free copies to F2F mystery group Started: 5/30 Finished: 5/31

Why Read: The F2F group will be discussing it in July and I could fit it in at the end of May because it's so short.

Comments: Not bad for a first novel. The PI MC was believable. I really liked his receptionist. Unfortunately, it took place in the same period as The Fairfax Incident which was so much more interesting. I gave it a B-.

I was continually having the problem of reading great or very good books and then being dis-satisfied with what I read afterward.

On the other hand, June is shaping up to be an exceptional month so far.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15085 comments Shomeret: I agree, it can be difficult to get into other books after reading a really good one. That has happened to me a few times lately. The Fairfax Incident sounds like an interesting perspective.

Shomeret wrote: "9)The Fairfax Incident by Terrence McCauley (historical mystery) Source: Wiley got the publisher to send me a Net Galley ARC Started: 5/23 Finished: 5/27

.....I was continually having the problem of reading great or very good books and then being dis-satisfied with what I read afterward.

..."

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments The Fairfax Incident DOES sound good!

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments Black Tudors sounds interesting, Shomeret. I had no idea there were free Africans living in Tudor England then either. Anything that causes one to think about the causes of slavery and racism is worthwhile in my opinion. History can be dry to me if I don't have a way to directly link to it (other than the obvious in this case), but this one is worth a shot.