World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > The NSA vs Abraham Lincoln

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Graeme (last edited Jun 10, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

Graeme Rodaughan The Gettysburg Address gets a rewrite in one of the recently released NSA motivational posters from the 1950s to the 1970s.

[1] The Gettysburg address, ref Wiki.

"that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom — and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

[2] Recently published posters (under FOI) from the Government Attic Org:

Note a 73MB PDF file - NSA motivational posters from the 1950s to 1970s

I bring this to your attention as one poster in particular used the Gettysburg Address and scrubbed out the "under God," part and substituted the "state," for the "people," in the rest of the address.

The questions I pose are as follows:

[1] What form of government puts the primacy of the state (an organization created and staffed by people) nominally expected to serve the interests of the broader community, over the broader community?

[2] If this was the official, sanctioned position of the NSA during the cold war, has anything changed for NSA culture between then and now?

And [3] What's with ripping off John Travolta and Saturday Night Fever (Oh... The Humanity!)?

message 2: by Nik (last edited Jun 10, 2018 11:06AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 16030 comments The time it took to download the posters, I felt my computer must've been raped by ... who?
Anyway, nice posters to reflect the epoch and organization's spirit. Liked the bear!
Not exactly the answers, but thought it might be nice to compare some of the art:
https://www.google.co.il/search?biw=1...

message 3: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan It's also interesting how the same images get used over and over again (just dressed up in fresh clothes) - presumably because the target audience doesn't change. What worked before still works today.