Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's Mercurial May 1/3

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (last edited Jun 09, 2018 09:05PM) (new)

Shomeret | 1395 comments Mercurial is a five dollar word for moody which describes the way I was about my reading last month. Sometimes I was tossing books on the library return pile very quickly and other times I was absolutely in love with what I was reading.

1)Bum Luck by Paul Levine (mystery) 332 pages. Source: Wiley Started: 4/28 Finished: 5/1

Why Read: Wiley asked me to review Bum Deal, but he thought I should read Bum Luck first for background.

Comments: Wow! The dialogue is great, the characterization is wonderful, the plot is intense and I considered it original. I gave this an A. See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20... It was my first A rated mystery of 2018. Needless to say my next reads didn't measure up.

2)MatchUped. Lee Child (crime fiction anthology)445 pages
Source: Library Started: 5/6 Finished: 5/9

Why Read: The F2F book club that I attend was reading it. I was also in an anthology mood. I could get tired of stories and move on to the next without tossing the entire book on the return pile as I'd been doing.

Comments: I managed to read six stories in their entirety. I thought the best was "Dig Here" by Charlaine Harris and Andrew Gross. I thought that Harper Connelly's gift was very well utilized and liked the archaeological content. The stories I read averaged to B.

3)A Different Kind of Hero: A Clean EPIC and URBAN FANTASY Collection (science fiction and fantasy anthology) Source: Amazon purchase Started: 5/9 Finished: 5/13

Why Read: This is an anthology with disabled MCs which interests me a great deal.

Comments: I ended up reading four stories. The best was "Follow The Music" by L.C. Ireland about a musician who was kidnapped and lost her hearing as a result of PTSD. It was very interesting to see how she was still able to function as a musician without her hearing. I immediately purchased the sequel but haven't read it yet. The stories I read averaged to B.

4)America Vol. 1: The Life and Times of America Chavez (graphic novel) Source: Library Started: 5/13 Finished: 5/13

Why Read: I was interested in reading about a Latina superhero.

Comments: Some interesting stuff, but also some silly snarky dialogue. She was advised to "slay pizzas" for example. I gave it a B.

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3137 comments I'm happy you appreciate Paul Levine. There was a bit of a drought until he went to self-publish.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15083 comments There are so many of his books I am not sure where to start with Paul Levine.

Barry wrote: "I'm happy you appreciate Paul Levine. There was a bit of a drought until he went to self-publish."

message 4: by Ann (last edited Jun 10, 2018 01:54PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15083 comments Shometet: I thought Lee Child did a nice job of matching up two authors to co-write a story. You could tell that some collaborated more than others; the process of authors co-writing has always fascinated me.
My two favorite sets were Karin Slaughter and Michael Koryta; and like you especially enjoyed the story by Charlaine Harris and Andrew Gross