What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Book about a woman who ends up being commited to a mental hospital although she is perfectly sane. Spoiler alert.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Banham | 1 comments My husband and I read this book probably 12-15 years ago. It washe was a woman author, and it was set in Victoria times. Part of the plot - SPOILER ALERT - was there was a plan afoot by a woman and a man to have a second woman committed to an insane asylum. But when they showed up at the gate, it ended up being the other woman who was committed, and of course the more she protested her sanity the more she was determined to be insane. She did eventually manage to get out though. It was a really terrific book, but somehow neither one of us can come up with the title, or the author. Can anyone help?

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo | 160 comments Hi Wendy, I think this might be Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. It’s fantastic!

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie (javagirlkt) | 5 comments Agreed that it's likely Fingersmith. The character starts out in her uncle's house, who is an eccentric collector of erotic books. If you don't remember that at all, maybe we're wrong!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36585 comments Mod
Here's the Amazon "Look Inside" preview of Fingersmith by Sarah Waters - Jo & Katie's suggestion - https://www.amazon.com/Fingersmith-Sa...

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 56 comments This is also the plot line of Elaine di Rollo's A Proper Education for Girls (2008). Do you remember an early form of airplane as a plot device?

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann | 535 comments There is a subplot in The Wild Child by Mary Jo Putney like this, introduced near the end of Chapter 12.