Play Book Tag discussion

As Bright as Heaven
This topic is about As Bright as Heaven
Archive: Other Books > As Bright As Heaven by Susan Meissner --4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments As Bright as Heaven by Susan Meissner
4 stars

Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres, and I was drawn to As Bright As Heaven because it tackled a topic that I know little about: the Spanish influenza.

The Bright family decides to move to Philadelphia from the surrounding countryside in 1918 so that father Thomas can join is bachelor uncle Fred in the undertaking business. It will allow his wife Pauline to keep the house, and his three daughters, Evie, Maggie, and Willa, attend good schools and enjoy the benefits of city life. But, then WWI ramps up, followed closely by the Spanish flu pandemic, and the Bright family is changed forever.

I enjoyed this story. It started a little slow, but when it hit its stride it progressed nicely even if not a quick speed. I saw several of the "twists" coming, but I do not think the author tried overly hard to mask them. The story wrapped up nicely and I closed the book with a contented sigh.

I also enjoyed the audiobook, but the narrators voice for Evie and for Maggie were very similar and it took almost half of the book for me to finally catch on to the subtle differences.

Overall, I recommend this for fans of historical fiction. If you aren't a big historical fiction fan, then there are better books to pick up first.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I really enjoyed this book.

message 3: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2668 comments I love historical fiction. Sounds very worth while :)