Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Ruth Ware is...

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 3 comments Kind of exhausting. I read In a Dark, Dark Wood which I wasn’t going to do after reading what people said. But, after an hour drive to the nearest Half Price Books and then having nothing after a sale I didn’t know about, picked it up. I was intrigued and quickly bored but continued because surely there a big reveal. There was not. I’m about 50 pages in to The Lying Game which I did want to read but man the characterization is so slow and feels so unnecessary. I also have The Girl in a cabin 10 is it the better one?

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15060 comments I haven’t read a Ruth Ware book yet Jonathan. I’ve heard they are atmospheric.

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3831 comments i haven't read in a dark ,dark wood yet, but have read all of her others. i liked the girl in cabin 10 a lot, but i read it before all the "hype" about it. i was underwhelmed by the lying game , and liked her newest, the death of mrs. westaway.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15060 comments Jonathan and Sherry: I have been happy in the past to read a book before the hype, and generally prefer reading a book without hype. One example of a ‘before the hype’ book was The Da Vinci Code which I enjoyed. I’ve wondered since what I would think of it if I had read it after the hype.

message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 3 comments If I could find Megan Miranda’s twin in storytelling I’d be very pleased. I thoroughly enjoyed All The Missing Girl and The Perfect Stranger. I haven’t read a YA before and the rest of hers seem to be just that..

message 6: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 14 comments I really enjoy Ruth wares books, I could be bias.. I have a huge love for Ruth Ware, Karin Slaughter and Lisa Gardner so I always end up reading what they put out! Ruth's newest book the death of mrs westaway was a pretty good quick read, I highly suggest it.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15060 comments Good to know Kayleigh: I am a big fan of Karin Slaughter. Will try Ruth Ware soon. I saw an interview with her narrator in Audiophile magazine recently.
Kayleigh wrote: "I really enjoy Ruth wares books, I could be bias.. I have a huge love for Ruth Ware, Karin Slaughter and Lisa Gardner so I always end up reading what they put out! Ruth's newest book the death of m..."

message 8: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 14 comments Yes! I found Ruth ware because Karin Slaughter wrote a review for one of her books, and since then I’ve read all her books. I can’t wait for Karin to release more Will Trent and Sarah books.

message 9: by GEO (last edited Dec 14, 2018 10:37AM) (new)

GEO | 15 comments Your take is pretty on par with mine. They talk the book up way more than it deserves (on the reviews). I just finished a better book, "Everything you Want me to be."

Jonathan wrote: "Kind of exhausting. I read In a Dark, Dark Wood which I wasn’t going to do after reading what people said. But, after an hour drive to the nearest Half Price Books and then having nothing after a s..."

message 10: by Kathryn in FL (new)

Kathryn in FL (kathryninapopka) | 9 comments Jonathan wrote: "Kind of exhausting. I read In a Dark, Dark Wood which I wasn’t going to do after reading what people said. But, after an hour drive to the nearest Half Price Books and then having nothing after a s..."
Agreed! I read her ARC "The Death of Mrs. Westaway" and it was so awful, the editing was non-existent. Ware went in many directions only not to complete them and there were many red herrings. I don't know if these issues were fixed and I don't want to know. The main character is about to be homeless because what little she makes as a fortune-teller plus her modest drug usage are making her insolvent. When a customer pays her a huge tip, she donates it to a dog shelter. This makes no sense but it doesn't matter because she inherits a huge estate from someone she never met. Give me a break.

message 11: by Kathryn in FL (new)

Kathryn in FL (kathryninapopka) | 9 comments Sherry wrote: "i haven't read in a dark ,dark wood yet, but have read all of her others. i liked the girl in cabin 10 a lot, but i read it before all the "hype" about it. i was underwhelmed by the lying game , an..."

Thank you. I posted a review detailing the glaring flaws and no one liked it.

message 12: by GEO (new)

GEO | 15 comments Did anyone else notice in "The Lying Game" that they kept changing the spelling of one of the main characters? It's like they used "replace all" with spell check. I'm no spelling genius but you would think with today's technology it wouldn't happen. Or at least someone would catch it when they read it. It seems you have to pay more for Ms Ware's books and this just was one other item that rubbed me the wrong way.

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 3 comments It’s a mess something might be in her tea.. or “cuppa” ?? lol