Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Looking for Recommendations > Fourth of July Mysteries

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Woc Reader (new)

Ms. Woc Reader Any cozies set during July 4th celebrations that you recommend?

message 2: by Barb (new)

Barb | 773 comments The only one that comes to mind right off the bat is Independence Slay, the third book in the Celebration Bay series. The MC is an event coordinator, I believe. I've read the first two in the series and liked them enough to have this one on my list.

Oh, and there's Star Spangled Murder, by Leslie Meier, the 11th in her Lucy Stone series. I read it ages ago, so I don't remember much about it.

message 3: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2866 comments Mod
Carolyn Hart has two in her Death on Demand series but they are several books into the series: Yankee Doodle Dead (#10) and Dead, White, and Blue (#23)

message 4: by Pat (new)

Pat Cray-Hollis | 179 comments If you like Murder She Wrote books there is one Murder on the Parade set around 4th of July.

message 5: by Ms. Woc Reader (new)

Ms. Woc Reader Rockets' Dead Glare sounds interesting.

Has anyone read One Fete in the Grave?

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Act of Darkness (Gregor Demarkian, #3) by Jane Haddam Act of Darkness from Jane Haddam's Gregor Demarkian series was a pretty good mystery set at the 4th of July. Probably not a true cozy, but I used to really enjoy the series. It's over 20 years old, so might be hard to find.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Sousa | 446 comments Thread and Gone (Mainely Needlepoint, #3) by Lea Wait Thread and Gone, the third book in Lea Wait's Mainely Needlepoint series, is set during the 4th of July as well.

message 8: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda | 624 comments Barbara wrote: "Thread and Gone (Mainely Needlepoint, #3) by Lea WaitThread and Gone, the third book in Lea Wait's Mainely Needlepoint series, is set during the 4th of July as well."

I found book 1 to be depressing. (Sorry to say that.) Are Books 2 and 3 better?

message 9: by Nell (last edited Jun 14, 2018 04:53AM) (new)

Nell | 2866 comments Mod
MadameZelda wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Thread and Gone (Mainely Needlepoint, #3) by Lea WaitThread and Gone, the third book in Lea Wait's Mainely Needlepoint series, is set during the 4th of July as well."

I found book 1..."

I thought the first book was really good. It had more depth than some cozies do with an MC solving a cold case and resolving past issues. Different strokes for different folks.

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Sousa | 446 comments Nell wrote: "MadameZelda wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Thread and Gone (Mainely Needlepoint, #3) by Lea WaitThread and Gone, the third book in Lea Wait's Mainely Needlepoint series, is set during the 4th of July as we..."

While I agree that the first book had a more somber tone than usual (with the cold case being the reason for the mystery), I did enjoy it and, like Nell, thought it had more depth that the typical cozy. Books 2 and 3 are good, and less somber in tone. I am currently reading book 4 which I am really enjoying! I think it is the best book so far.

message 11: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 398 comments I know it's already past the 4th of July but I was away on vacation and wasn't able to post. Keep these in mind for next year!

Kathi Daley has 2 July 4th themed books:
Firework Fiasco in the Zoe Donovan series
Fireworks in Paradise in the TJ Jensen series

There are also these:
Death Under the Fireworks by Nancy McGovern
Lottawatah Fireworks by Evelyn David
Fireworks and Waffles by Carolyn Q. Hunter
4th of July by James Patterson

message 12: by AngryGreyCat (last edited Jul 08, 2018 10:02AM) (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments Julesy wrote: "I know it's already past the 4th of July but I was away on vacation and wasn't able to post. Keep these in mind for next year!

Kathi Daley has 2 July 4th themed books:
[book:Firework Fiasco|3979..."

Susan Berhardt: Murder by Fireworks
Isis Crawford; A catered fourth of July
Joanne Fluke; Lemon Meringue Pie Murder
Shelley Freydont: Independence slay

message 13: by L J (new)

L J | 596 comments Sorry, I didn't notice this request earlier.
A Star-Spangled Murder (Susan Henshaw, #6) by Valerie Wolzien A Star-Spangled Murder (Susan Henshaw #6) by Valerie Wolzien may be out of print. I read Wolzien quit writing both Susan Henshaw and Josie Pigeon series years ago rather than seeking another publisher.