The Readers discussion

Persephone Books

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathie (new)

Kathie I'm really intrigued by Persephone Books. I receive their catalogs, and spend time poring over their titles but where to start? Ordering books from the UK means a considerable investment and I don't want to make mistakes. But I know that sometimes off-the-wall choices can prove to be great finds. Can anyone recommend some Persephone titles you've enjoyed?

message 2: by Ruthiella (last edited Jun 09, 2018 12:30PM) (new)

Ruthiella | 272 comments Kathie wrote: "I'm really intrigued by Persephone Books. I receive their catalogs, and spend time poring over their titles but where to start? Ordering books from the UK means a considerable investment and I don'..."

Dorothy Whipple is my favorite author from Persephone. I've read The Priory, Someone at a Distance and Greenbanks.

Also one of my favorite books ever is The Fortnight in September by R.C. Sheriff if you like gentle, subtle, plotless reads.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I recently bought a (near perfect) second hand copy of Mariana by Monica Dickinson for under £5 from World of Books so that’s where I’ll be starting with Persephone books 🙂👍🏻

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Schanne Atkins I agree with Ruthiella & Rachel. I also follow Thomas and buy anything he rates highly as he & I have very similar tastes. I have ordered from The Book Depository in England and Amazon here in the US.
I would add "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day" & "Cheerful Weather for a Wedding."

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 27 comments One way to start might be to follow along on this forum and purchase the "title of the month". I see they also have a Facebook page and a Twitter feed.

https://www.persephonebooks.co.uk/con...

message 6: by Lyn (new)

Lyn | 4 comments I love Dorothy Whipple & think she's the quintessential Persephone author. But I also think there are other books & authors that don't get the attention of the more famous titles like Miss Pettigrew & the Whipples. Some that I've enjoyed are Heat Lightning by Helen Hull, Fidelity & Brook Evans by Susan Glaspell, The Hopkins Manuscript by R C Sherriff, Few Eggs & No Oranges by Vere Hodgson, Family Roundabout by Richmal Crompton, The Blank Wall by Elisabeth Sanxay Holding & Little Boy Lost by Marghanita Laski.