Oakville Reads discussion

Lincoln in the Bardo > Question #2: The Bardo

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What are your thoughts about the Bardo? Were you familiar with the term or concept before reading Lincoln in the Bardo? What were your initial impressions of the many inhabitants of the Bardo, and the writing structure that Saunders uses to introduce them?

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 116 comments Mod
I think this is such an interesting frame for Saunders to use - though have to admit, I would not have understood what "the Bardo" was unless I had read reviews prior to reading. I also think the Bardo is so weird. I love that Saunders has been playful and allowed the inhabitants to express themselves in weird and wonderful ways. Makes the environment much more fun - as fun as purgatory can be.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (arwen_kenobi) | 100 comments Mod
I had no idea what a Bardo was before I read this book and I'm still not sure I totally get it. The idea is really weird and wonderful, I agree. There's a fun part to it, like Ashley said, but there's also the scary bits that happen when people are taken or they stay in the Bardo too long.

The writing structure is weird, the setting is weird, so that all makes sense from that aspect!

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanopl) | 472 comments Mod
I agree that there's a lot of "weird" going on in this book! I didn't know what a bardo was until I read about it in this book, although I am familiar with the concept of purgatory. I thought at first it would be impossible to keep all the characters in the Bardo straight, but some are more prominent than others, and they're easy to track. I sort of let the minor ones go as I know there will be many others to come. I find the writing structure very unusual, but it does make the reading very quick and perhaps more approachable.