World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16076 comments With distinct differences between US and some of the Europeans, this summit is supposed to be one of the more scandalous. But what is this club in general? And why doesn't it include China, India and Brasil, which economies are bigger than those of some other members, but included Russia for a while?

message 2: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 3079 comments G20 has the wider remit. It was G8 until 2014 when Russia was no longer invited after Georgia, Crimea etc. Trump wants Russia back in although based on some comments it's more likely to be G6 without USA given almost open hostility on various economic and political matters. Still Trump is off to see his new best friend in Singapore next week. Perhaps Trump will set up a G4 - Him, Putin Kim and Xi

He clearly shows more respect for them than he does for his so called allies

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11790 comments I doubt Putin cares, and I doubt Xi cares. It is a group that doesn't actually do much, and from what it appears, Trump does not care much either for it. Philip is being a bit harsh, though, on Trump. There is no evidence Trump is going to Singapore to be friends with Kim, but rather to try to pull off a diplomatic deal that most would see as really important.

Any economic group that does not include China, and for which the US could not care less, is essentially a second grade group.

message 4: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan I'm with Ian, the G7 is largely irrelevant as an activity.